Rocky Lionmouth

Marvels Iron Fist [potential spoiler alert]

Lol, and here we go, yet again...

Ed Skrein drops out of 'Hellboy' reboot after whitewashing controversy

Ed Skrein has exited the Hellboy reboot following public outcry. His casting as Major Ben Daimio — an Asian character in the graphic novels - reignited conversations about whitewashing that have long plagued Hollywood.  The Deadpool actor released a statement Monday on Instagram explaining why he dropped out of the project.

Skrein’s casting follows similar recent controversies in which white actors have been set for roles originally portrayed by people of Asian descent.  Scarlett Johansson’s casting as the star of Ghost in the Shell caused an uproar earlier this year, as did Tilda Swinton’s role in Doctor Strange - depicted as an Asian male in the comic source material.

9bee4b80d3c842baa4d622efafe144f8.jpg

tumblr_nqsiizUWpr1uv3pwbo2_500.jpg

On 3/30/2017 at 9:11 PM, thelerner said:
rodgerj, on 14 November 2011 - 10:48 AM, said:
2) Why do you think Hollywood refused the proposal to make a movie?
2. I don't think, I know precisely, since I was the one who was talking to the producers in the first place (and very serious producers they were). Moreover, Hollywood did not refuse; I did. The book was deemed to be un-cinematographic (in other words, of insufficient interest for the broad public); the scene that produced the most interest was the battle of Pai Lok Nen with Lim. As a consequence, they wanted to rewrite the whole thing, with scenes of me flying through the air à la Crouching Tiger and battling the evil Maoshanpai dudes who had come to prevent the white apprentice from ascending to the Jedi council halleluiah. So I ditched the option.

The Jews control Hollywood.” It’s one of those anti-Semitic tropes that, we all know, contains a certain grain of truth. “Control,” no - not with that ominous, conspiratorial connotation. But “helped create”? “Disproportionately populate?” Sure. 

Which is why the at-least-equally disproportionate exclusion of people of color from the Academy Awards - the phenomenon hashtagged as #OscarsSoWhite - is a Jewish problem.

holmogul.jpg

Same old, same old...

Spoilers

Good article on the whitewashing subject somewhere it addresses they made attempts to make Scarlett Johansson appear more Asian.

https://mic.com/articles/156395/marvel-s-iron-fist-missed-chance-to-recast-lead-white-character-as-asian-some-say#.E9cXW5Fpk

https://www.inverse.com/article/29493-iron-fist-drunk-guy-fight-lewis-tan

At one point the guy who did the drunken fighting scene was going to be cast as Iron Fist. Then they just changed directions on him an gave him the drunken fist part mysteriously. Personal sources say they wanted to appeal to the Caucasian community, because they felt young whites would identify with a white face more than an Asian or half Asian. The orders came from higher up in the corporate department to cast a white male lead, so as to have a contrast with the ethnic characters to be played.

Media itself is used to foster racism.

Btw, Iron Fist sucked because their shooting schedule was pushed back til they found what they felt was the perfect white lead. Racism ruined what could be an awesome show, at least it's first season.

Though I enjoyed the concept, it just is a relic that dates to a time when white was right. They should've used someone with skill, regardless of ethnicity.

I mean comic book wise, the iron fist is like the best martial artist there is. Undefeated a dragon an claimed it's power.

The show has him getting smacked around in ways that's just embarrassing for any martial artist, much more for a master martial artist. Plus the guy was impossible to feel sympathetic towards, sad stuff happened but the way the actor played it was like a caricature of how it really should've been.

That being said, from what i see in Defenders the actor is growing but still is being carried by the others in the group and a better storyline.

Daredevil however remains awesome. I mean in comics they are near equals with Iron Fist usually better, but in the show it's clear as day that Daredevil is better. They should've cast someone with the same skill levels or greater than the guy playing Daredevil, to be the Iron Fist. 

Hollywood doesn't care bout Comic-book accuracy, so they shouldn't have had any problems finding an hiring any race to portray Danny Rand. The source material was a written in a time where the rich white blonde male was ideal. I ft it should be said, but truth is the actor they hired, regardless of his race just is lacking in allaround skill. 

I did lmao when he tried summoning his chi an it wouldn't work.but come on part of the iron fist training is to know how to wield the power so if he wins, he's an affective Immortal Weapon.

This guy can't use his power for jack much without someone holding his hand. An I know it was explained in the series but come on.

Plus the way they show the chi glowing like that just frustrates me.

Still cause it's a kung fu series I watch it. An I'm goin to check out into the badlands,cause I read good things on this thread

• Like 2

On 2017-04-27 at 11:57 AM, dust said:

Missed this comment somehow. Never really saw Star Wars as insulting any particular groups, but growing up with it I've never examined it like that. Also... does he insult Jews? Seems out of character that he'd insult anyone, but especially coming from a family of Orthodox Jews..?

Yeah there are elements who attempt to be 'the opposite of racist' and end up just looking silly. Too PC or whatever. But I wouldn't say it's cringe-worthy "most of the time"..?

Was Spielberg even involved with the nest of complicated boredom that is SW ep 1-3? Idk, it makes me sad because i used to love the old movies when i was a kid and now i expect every part of the franchise to be crap :/

Regarding the Jew-thing in the Star Wars, oh boy have i got some thoughts on that :)

Rants away!

Those movies had a few pretty nasty caricatures, the quickest that comes to mind is the cringeworthy Fagin-stereotype mess with wings that keeps lil Anakin as his slave. It's like a 30's "satire" drawing on the greedy, shady, unreliable and filthy Jew. Plus there's only one of him, he's completely ad-hoc like that, i think George rubbed his temples real hard to come up with an embodyment of sleazy and greasy child-abuser and lo and behold, it somehow turned out like he was trying to pen the Elder Protocols. On purpose? I dont think so. He's too naive.

Jar Jar Binks and his whole species is basically a Rasta blackface character, their english dialect a true mockery of creole and patois, the whole affair is a colonial mess. Purposefully? Nope, he just wanted a relateable quirky character to win the children over and create a little moralist comic relief and came up with a down to earth simpleton. Plus he had to fix the gap in the story with some strange but gentle allies, trans-planet-core travel and provide someway to show that even the most weird and funny talking primitives can send a fool as an ambassador and be welcomed into the loving arms of refined civilization... not on purpose, but he made a Rootsman borrowing a lot of jamaican around-independence humorism and post-slavery trauma storytelling and managed to flip off one of the earliest and most influential african heritage selfmade, indigenous independence and identity movements of the last century (who played a role in defining black popular culture and influences it to this day), just like that. Oh Goerge, you're such a klutz.

The trade federation characters all speak nasty "engrish" and are masters of two-faced cowardly machiavellisms.

What kinda makes me sad is that it seems too spot on to be a conscious statement which just turns it into the laziest and most childish of Lucases ideas and that he needs to hire some people to reign him in and have him take a lateral step. By force if necessary.

ok, end rant :)

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
Spelling
  • Like 2

Plus he's wasting tons of resources and makes crazy expensive flicks and they still couldnt figure out how to make the people look like they have feet that touch the ground. I mean come oon!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rocky Lionmouth said:

Was Spielberg even involved with the nest of complicated boredom that is SW ep 1-3? Idk, it makes me sad because i used to love the old movies when i was a kid and now i expect every part of the franchise to be crap :/

Regarding the Jew-thing in the Star Wars, oh boy have i got some thoughts on that :)

Rants away!

Those movies had a few pretty nasty caricatures, the quickest that comes to mind is the cringeworthy Fagin-stereotype mess with wings that keeps lil Anakin as his slave. It's like a 30's "satire" drawing on the greedy, shady, unreliable and filthy Jew. Plus there's only one of him, he's completely ad-hoc like that, i think George rubbed his temples real hard to come up with an embodyment of sleazy and greasy child-abuser and lo and behold, it somehow turned out like he was trying to pen the Elder Protocols. On purpose? I dont think so. He's too naive.

Jar Jar Binks and his whole species is basically a Rasta blackface character, their english dialect a true mockery of creole and patois, the whole affair is a colonial mess. Purposefully? Nope, he just wanted a relateable quirky character to win the children over and create a little moralist comic relief and came up with a down to earth simpleton. Plus he had to fix the gap in the story with some strange but gentle allies, trans-planet-core travel and provide someway to show that even the most weird and funny talking primitives can send a fool as an ambassador and be welcomed into the loving arms of refined civilization... not on purpose, but he made a Rootsman borrowing a lot of jamaican around-independence humorism and post-slavery trauma storytelling and managed to flip off one of the earliest and most influential african heritage selfmade, indigenous independence and identity movements of the last century (who played a role in defining black popular culture and influences it to this day), just like that. Oh Goerge, you're such a klutz.

The trade federation characters all speak nasty "engrish" and are masters of two-faced cowardly machiavellisms.

What kinda makes me sad is that it seems too spot on to be a conscious statement which just turns it into the laziest and most childish of Lucases ideas and that he needs to hire some people to reign him in and have him take a lateral step. By force if necessary.

ok, end rant :)

Entertainment gets away with racial stereotypes by saying it's alien or fiction and then saying shiitake it too seriously or are reading too much into it. It's even defended by the people who enjoy the fictionalized aspects of it as harmless fun. But it just perpetuates racial disharmony in subtle ways.

Guarantee you made a black superman or Spanish superman or Asian superman, or anything other than Caucasian superman there will be outcry about not staying true to the original material, etc. But I mean the guy's an alien, so technically he can look however. 

They cut the romance between Supergirl and Jimmy Olesen when CW took over because of the interracial aspects. They spent the whole time flirting and being attracted the whole first season, then all of  sudden she needed to focus on being supergirl but she falls for the next available Caucasian who comes her way. 

It was done this way because they thought if young women looked to supergirl as a role model, they might start interracial dating to emulate her. Strange but if you've acquaintances and friends who work in these companies, they can tell you what goes on in certain situations.

The white gay phenomenon, is where white characters are playing gay and not much diversity in that. It's supposed to allow it to be acceptAble to the populous by getting them to see caucasians do it and follow their lead. When in truth gays come in all shapes and sizes and colors.

It's there for everyone to see, but if you want to be fooled so you can enjoy yourself it isn't hard. 

Arrow has one black character an his villAins are usually noncaucasian or associated with noncaucasians.

The merger of the new Firestorm in Flash briefly touched on subtle racism when Kaitlin didn't want to give Jax a chance a s was quick to judge him, until Barry stepped in an told her that maybe she didn't want to see Jax's potential for emotional reasons. 

Racism is being addressed but still ever so subtly.

Speaking of Flash there's huge outcry from fans that they don't like having a black wally west, an from sources, nothing confirmed but they are going to introduce a new white lead to replace Barry instead of doing what was done in the comics where Wally took over for Barry for years. 

They are remedying this with a black electric based hero show later this fall. However it's filled with stereotypes peppered in with again blacks who attempt to gain the approval of white peers.

So it's there and as long as people overlook it, an don't say anything, it'll stay there. That's how racism is, a parasite that tries to hide in places we don't want to look.

• Like 1