Adam West

Ask Lin: What is proper meditation?

Lin, I thank you for your reply. Unfortunately you did not answer in a manner that satisfied my intellect. I shall rephrase my initial question: What had you failed to do in previous cultivation practices that Master Xuan Hua instructed you to take up? What was it (i.e. which practice) that helped give you that foundation that Master Xuan Hua said you lacked?

I see I may have mis-read and misunderstood some of the question.

Before Shifu came to me, I was a bit arrogant, hot tempered, impatient, and dealt with ghosts and demons daily...meaning places I went, there were constant occurrences with beings trying to steer me in the wrong direction, as well as battle so to say, energetically. I used to deal with fighting ghosts and demons constantly for many years, this is why I carried my sword all the times, and this led me to be a bit arrogant, impatient, hot tempered, and not so compassionate.

I had failed to put down my ego, and it hindered my cultivation greatly. Qigong cultivation was no problem, but that is not the end all be all. Despite the things I have done, experienced, and can still do. Those things are only outcomes of practice, and not complete skill. He teaches me still, and now I delve into the sutras for techniques of cultivation with his guidance. Meaning, I read a sutra and figure out the method used to cultivate the teachings within them.

He taught me acceptance of all living beings, in any shape and form, patience with other people, how to put down anger and cultivate humility.

The practices were bowing to the Buddhas, taking refuge with the Original Mind, also known as the Three Treasures; San Bao; Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.

Meditation techniques were various, and some included contemplating the causes and conditions of my experiences, investigating through meditation the origins of my attachments to my character/personality; searching for the origin of my emotional experiences. Also techniques of seeing things as though they are not there, and work on not being moved in mind by them when they arise. These methods helped me to be still, and realize all things as empty. So that all that which arises is only said to arise, but neither arises nor does not arise.

You see, the methods in Buddhism are by no means religious. They are techniques to recognize the mind, and all things that arise within it, even the mind itself. Buddhism is strictly a way of Cultivation of the mind, which is mind, body and spirit...if one wants to see it that way.

Through his teachings, I learned how to be human, and humane. Not be angry, not be greedy, and to recognize the ignorance I had within my own mind. The methods overall, are so numerous, because the mind has numerous attachments. With all I experienced I could be writing here for years and years, expecially with all the techniques that arisen because of my own affliction.

As a result, some, mind is still, clear. I can recognize the beginning and ending of emotions in realization that there is no beginning and ending, no rising and falling, no duality. And the cultivation still continues. I don't deal in fighting with demons, subduing them, nor do I bother with subduing ghosts and the like. Now I welcome them and teach them, accept them and use their influence, in trying to make my mind waver from the proper, to keep my mind still.

There is a saying that goes, When there is true cultivation, demons are not far behind.

That means when you are on the right track, more and more obstacles arise. THese obstacles are there to help you recognize what is in your mind, and in so recognizing them, one can put them down. Awaken to Non Dual mind.

I know some of what I write referring to ghosts and demons seem far fetched for some. I m being very honest with you in my writing this stuff. For this is a thread inquiring about some of my history. I understand there may be things written that are not easily believable, and I can not by any means prove to anyone what I have experienced because not many can see what I see. My history by no means claims I am an expert, nor does it point to mastery of any kind. Only experiences. Through them, I matured. And now my life is only about cultivation. Day and night. Early morning to late evening and when I am resting this body.

I hope this explanation serves you well. If not, please rephrase the questions so I may satisfy your curiosity. Sometimes I may misread and misunderstand what you are looking for. I appreciate your patience.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

in the words of jiddu krishnamurti

Thats a great quote,within in it lies the crux of the matter.When we truly observe what we do ,it is indeed a bitter pill to swallow.

I have two questions:

a) I really like your stories from China, and I share your initial disillusionment when I got there. Although I only stayed a short while, and that is not even scratching the surface, I met a Daoist hermit. It's a long story, but I felt that it really was my fate to meet him, and that the short meet was predestined in a way. It also felt like I had "asked" to meet him, and gone through some stuff to get to the point where this happened. Was your encounter with your master a "when the student is ready the master will appear" situation?

B) How is your view on self-judgement in sitting meditation. I practice a very "symbolic" sitting meditation, wich not based on watching the mind but more like tuning into the cosmic energy and just witness what happens. But I still fight battles with my mind and try to ease my self criticism and self-doubt when things are not going "according to plan": i.e restlessnes, daydreaming, lack of motivation, unease etc. I try to just sit and forget (about it), and always try to begin with the end, so to speak. But sometimes I feel like I'd be better off not sitting. What is your take on this kind of obstacles in sittings?

h

When I arrived at the airport in China, it wasn't at all what the movies showed, nor was it at all what was depicted in the books by ancient philosophers; I never read heavily about Chinese culture, or philosphers of China, but I knew what the lifestyle of China was through friends(Chinese) and paintings of old China. I truly didn't realize that China changed so much. I was in culture shock... In shock that the culture I left was the culture I returned to!
Ha, welcome to the Communist dystopia!

It's really sad how that meme warfare purposely destroyed all of China's ancient mystery schools with its Cultural Revolution and more recently, persecution of qigong due to Falun Gong. Communism was basically neo-opium for the masses.

China really needs to be more careful about preserving their culture and the foreign mind-altering agents they become seduced by. It can be easier to defend against bullets than manipulative ideologies.

Edited by vortex

I have two questions:

Was your encounter with your master a "when the student is ready the master will appear" situation?

What is your take on this kind of obstacles in sittings?

h

"Was your encounter with your master a "when the student is ready the master will appear" situation?"

Well, when I met the Ven. Master Xuan Hua, it was the case of being ready to go on to the next level, and thus he appeared, literally. In terms of my Quan Zhen Dao Shifu, I knew her from constantly meditating at the Daoist temple at the foot of Tai Shan (Tai mountain) at Tiger Mountain Park. The temple is called Wang Mu Chi. After a few years, we both kind of brought it up, student/teacher question, and actually our decision was based on her asking Lu Zu Ye ( Lu Dong Bing ).

"What is your take on this kind of obstacles in sittings?"

They arises and do not arise. Obstacles are anything which takes us and throws us all over the place, not being able to be still, filling the senses like an overflowing cup. Once that light is turned in, the senses are purified, and the obstacles eradicated, non violently. ^_^

Obstacles in sitting are the obstacles in walking, are the obstacles in lying, are the obstacles in eating. Same mind, different task. If we play into the obstacles; thoughts, emotions, memories, sensations, and visions, then we have failed at meditation at that time, we became eaten by our own mental obstructions.

In meditation just watching the mind isn't enough. There has to be a sifting through, an investigating to actually get any real results. One can meditate and pull in energy from all over the place, any place. They can even travel to different places and bring back stuff, if they have that much of the ability. It is all of mind and concentration, wisdom.

So, in sitting, what arises would be an obstacle, but attaching to it as an obstacle is an even bigger obstacle...lol

At first, its good observe whats there, then begin investigating the mind. Unraveling the emotions, situations and attachments to them. Taking layer and layer of the face we pasted mind to over endless amounts of lifetimes, and then, we can begin to develop the land to prepare for the realization of the fruit.

Good questions ^_^

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉