Chang

Britain and the European Union

i wonder what the greatest englishman ever would do?

Do you mean Jesus?

• Like 1

i wonder what the greatest englishman ever would do?

Engage in laissez faire capitalism and seperate state from all business completely including banks and money. The European superstate would be entirely unnecessary as the currency would be decided by the market and not by fiat. Corporations could not beg the state for special privilege through regulation because the state would be powerless to help them. The market would decide which was the best technical specifications instead of the hotch potch of governments that have attempted to create technical barriers on behalf of the businesses that lobby them as forms of protectionism from foreign competition. We don't need a massive bureaucracy costing billions to create a European version and stuffing the money in its ample pockets. It's an unneeded, useless, costly monstrosity.

Cobden and Bright would have agreed.

• Like 1

Engage in laissez faire capitalism and seperate state from all business completely including banks and money. The European superstate would be entirely unnecessary as the currency would be decided by the market and not by fiat. Corporations could not beg the state for special privilege through regulation because the state would be powerless to help them. The market would decide which was the best technical specifications instead of the hotch potch of governments that have attempted to create technical barriers on behalf of the businesses that lobby them as forms of protectionism from foreign competition. We don't need a massive bureaucracy costing billions to create a European version and stuffing the money in its ample pockets. It's an unneeded, useless, costly monstrosity. Cobden and Bright would have agreed.

is there such an englishman can accomplish this? 

i think in the past there may have been a few that maybe could have pulled it off.

i am no expert , have never been there. its just another european country where some of my blood comes from.

but yeah, i think there have been some remarkable thinkers from there, a rare few-- 

and of those types,the rare few thinkers, they are rare wherever you may look for them.....

and again i am so ignorant of british history 

my limited view of it , kinda goes like this---at key times when there was an opportunity to move towards

and i hate to use this word, freedom, at those times and we know those times only come around so often,

maybe once in a hundred years sometimes, (it really is the duty of every generation)

my view has been that in those moments the english tend to agree to some general submission.

it needs to be the will of the people , a determined will of a determined people. 

i think the american west still has this type of determination. 

it would be interesting if other pockets of resistance/ resilience/ independent/ reason/ type nations could get their brave on and test these waters. Iceland is trying.

this might be the only chance, i would vote on this issue if i was there. 

but last year or whenever it was i was rooting for scotland independence too

and a grexit. 

• Like 1

The Eurovision Song Contest takes place tonight. A yearly event of staggering mediocrity.

It can best be described as a sort of European Super State attempt at entertainment. On a bright note it is apparently very popular with the Gay community.

• Like 1

I wonder who pays for the ESC ? Oh I know, it's the fucking tax payer and to add insult to injury it gets broadcast on the tax payer funded state mouth piece.

Bahhhh bahhhh give me freedom or give me the Eurovision Song Contest.

• Like 1

I wonder who pays for the ESC ? Oh I know, it's the fucking tax payer and to add insult to injury it gets broadcast on the tax payer funded state mouth piece. Bahhhh bahhhh give me freedom or give me the Eurovision Song Contest.

That's why you feel like a puppet on a string - so congratulations - cos my heart is going boom bang-a-bang.

• Like 2

That's why you feel like a puppet on a string - so congratulations - cos my heart is going boom bang-a-bang.

I love you Apech for i never quite know if your words are serious or in jest.

I sometimes feel I've met my Waterloo but I've at least been helping you making your mind up

• Like 1

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/05/02/eurovision-referendum-leave-lead-20/

Excluding don't knows and wouldn't votes Leave has a 20 point lead over Remain in a hypothetical referendum on Britain's membership of the Eurovision Song Contest  

In 2015, as Eurovision celebrated its 60th anniversary and enjoyed a boost in viewing figures across Europe to reach nearly 200 million people, the trend in the UK ran the other way. 8.8 million tuned in to watch bearded drag act Conchita Wurst's win in 2014, but in2015 viewing figures shrunk by 2.2 million. That's still 35.8% of the viewing audience, but bear in mind that 85.6% of Swedish viewers tuned in last year and it's clear Britain is by no means fanatical about the contest.

With only two weeks to go until this year's Eurovision finale new YouGov research across seven Europen countries reveals British people say they'd vote to leave the contest if there was a referendum on the issue. Excluding don't knows (8%) and wouldn't votes (admittedly high at 39%), 60% say they'd vote to leave while 40% say they'd vote to remain. 

Even in France, where only 13.4% watched the show in 2014, people are more likely than in Britain to want to remain (46%) in the Eurovision Song Contest.

Cheesy, tacky, mindless pap with low brow jingles patronising its viewers.

That's the remain campaigners, I haven't got to the EUrovision smog contrast.

the vote will be managed, the "correct" outcome will happen, just like what happened to the scots, just like what happened here with obama getting   elected, with al franken getting seated, just like with ron paul being held at arm's length from getting too much podium time.

For those who may be interested here is the winning song from the contest. Jamala from the Ukraine with the song 1944. Apparently it is about Joseph Stalin and the Crimean Tartars. It is a message of peace and love. A very politically correct song to win the contest.

One day all conflict will be settled this way.  I look forward to the face off between the Isis entry 'Allahu akbar now we kill you' and the US entry Delta Force 8 'fire from the sky.'  And beaten narrowly into third place the German entry 'we open our doors and you come flooding in'.

• Like 1

One day all conflict will be settled this way.  I look forward to the face off between the Isis entry 'Allahu akbar now we kill you' and the US entry Delta Force 8 'fire from the sky.'  And beaten narrowly into third place the German entry 'we open our doors and you come flooding in'.

Can't ever remember seeing that track on any Isis album ?

In February, David Cameron told MPs he wasn't ruling anything out when it came to the EU referendum.

However it has now come to light  that he was privately asking FTSE 500 firms to include warnings about Brexit in their annual reports as he planned his campaign to Remain before he had even completed his fudged renegotiation.

13239263_953557304742511_386600056211514

Leave campaigner, Gisela Stuart MP has said 'there are serious issues for the Prime Minister to answer. We now know he has been doing deals with businesses to exaggerate the risk of a vote by the UK to leave the EU.

He must now tell us urgently how many businesses has he cut secret deals with? Who are they and what were they promised in return?"

This is not the kind of behaviour the UK electorate expect or deserve from their Prime Minister. It is beyond any doubt now that Dodgy Dave and big business want the U.K. to remain in this failing political union at all costs.

The question is, why are they so desperate for Britain to remain - what's in it for them?

The answer of course is very simple and is self interest. Like the majority of politicians they clain to represent the electorate but the truth is that they represent themselves and certain groups which are very far removed from the common man.

Edited by Chang
  • Like 2

In February, David Cameron told MPs he wasn't ruling anything out when it came to the EU referendum.

However the Daily Mail have exclusively revealed that he was privately asking FTSE 500 firms to include warnings about Brexit in their annual reports as he planned his campaign to Remain before he had even completed his fudged renegotiation.

Leave campaigner, Gisela Stuart MP has said 'there are serious issues for the Prime Minister to answer. We now know he has been doing deals with businesses to exaggerate the risk of a vote by the UK to leave the EU.

He must now tell us urgently how many businesses has he cut secret deals with? Who are they and what were they promised in return?"

This is not the kind of behaviour the UK electorate expect or deserve from their Prime Minister. It is beyond any doubt now that Dodgy Dave and big business want the U.K. to remain in this failing political union at all costs.

The question is, why are they so desperate for Britain to remain - what's in it for them?

The answer of course is very simple and is self interest. Like the majority of politicians they clain to represent the electorate but the truth is that they represent themselves and certain groups which are very far removed from the common man.

Funnily enough I just had a discussion with a guy who suggested that my voting to leave was because I supported rich oligarchs.

I gave him a list of the who's who at DAVOS, JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs contributions to the remain campaign and how the leave campaign was powered by little else but ordinary people volunteering to hand out leaflets. All the big guns and all the big money are on the side of remain. Anyone who isn't in that clique should vote to leave.

• Like 2

Funnily enough I just had a discussion with a guy who suggested that my voting to leave was because I supported rich oligarchs. I gave him a list of the who's who at DAVOS, JP Morgan and Goldman Sachs contributions to the remain campaign and how the leave campaign was powered by little else but ordinary people volunteering to hand out leaflets. All the big guns and all the big money are on the side of remain. Anyone who isn't in that clique should vote to leave.

I agree absolutely. Unfortunately so much fear is being generated by the pro E.U. lobbyists that even sensible, rational folk are fearful at the thought of Britain standing on her own.

Here is the result of the latest phone poll completed by the Guardian newspaper.

Guardian Phone poll

Remain           47%

Don't Know     14%

Leave              39%

I grow evermore pessemistic regarding the referendum and can but console myself with the thought that should the electorate vote to remain it will cause so much ill feeling that it will divide the population like nothing we can imagine.

• Like 1

I agree absolutely. Unfortunately so much fear is being generated by the pro E.U. lobbyists that even sensible, rational folk are fearful at the thought of Britain standing on her own.

Here is the result of the latest phone poll completed by the Guardian newspaper.

Guardian Phone poll

Remain           47%

Don't Know     14%

Leave              39%

I grow evermore pessemistic regarding the referendum and can but console myself with the thought that should the electorate vote to remain it will cause so much ill feeling that it will divide the population like nothing we can imagine.

Are you contributing to the campaign in any way ?

I suggest that if not, then you should volunteer. It's about putting your head down and working towards the goal. It's easy to get disheartened, but then, if the remain campaign win and you haven't done anything, then you will wish you had. Just a few leaflets, a bumper sticker, a poster in your window. Stick at it and don't get deflected. Cut the arguments down. In the end, the vast bulk of people aren't wealthy corporate lackeys and it's these people with all their power and cash that are driving the in campaign. They are few and we are many. They only have one vote just as we do.

• Like 2

tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered,

yet we have this consolation with us, 

that the harder the conflict,

the more glorious the triumph

• Like 1

tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered,

yet we have this consolation with us, 

that the harder the conflict,

the more glorious the triumph

Give me death or Liberty. That is something a tyrant is never prepared to do. They are lazy cowards that ultimately depend on other men for their survival and that means they are always one step away from being deposed. It takes big bribes to keep your commanders sweet and that's the only thing keeping them from tearing the despot apart. A population has an enormous lever if it is willing to use it.

• Like 1

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/queens-speech-2016-state-opening-of-parliament-jokes_uk_573c4a00e4b03f08843ddc40?9biven8qfof3fecdi

A woman sitting on a chair made of gold has encouraged the country to “live within its means” during these times of austerity while addressing a room full of millionaires.

She also voiced support for a government imposing longer working hours with less pay on junior doctors while wearing a hat encrusted with five rubies, 11 emeralds, 17 sapphires, 273 pearls and 2,868 diamonds.

“One also hopes one’s government will put superfast broadband at the top of its agenda,” she added. “Because the Wi-Fi at Balmoral is totally pants.”

She then left Parliament and returned to her £1 billion house. Her crown left shortly afterwards in its own horse-drawn carriage.

• Like 1