Perceiver

Why some countries are poor, and some rich

In my mind there is a large middle ground between having some government and the NWO.   Karl, if you want to live in the world of possibility you may want to aim at smaller government, which is certainly possible, versus No Government which barring apocalypse is not. 

I think Rallis is for smaller government.  Really most people are.  They just want to cut programs that help other groups ;)

Which groups?

Cut programs that they think don't affect them.  Under 40 okay with big cuts to social security.  City dweller okay with cuts to Parks.

In my mind there is a large middle ground between having some government and the NWO.   Karl, if you want to live in the world of possibility you may want to aim at smaller government, which is certainly possible, versus No Government which barring apocalypse is not. 

I think Rallis is for smaller government.  Really most people are.  They just want to cut programs that help other groups ;)

If others wish to live under a ruler then I have no problem with it. I and many others do not choose to live under a ruler just as I don't wish to steal, rape or murder people. If other people wish to live like wild animals then they are welcome to choose a zoo.

Obviously a 10 minute video on this topic is going to be simplified and fail to highlight a number of relevant points. It's designed for the kind of person in our society who doesn't read books, who has no experience, who gets most/all of their knowledge from quick internet sources. But at least there is a source for these kind of people. A hundred years ago, people who couldn't (afford/be bothered to) read books or get out and experience the world or have discussions with others just didn't know anything at all. People like that still abound, and these days a quick YouTube video can help to enlighten them a little -- and maybe even you, too.

Refusing to watch it because it's on YouTube, or calling it a load of crap because it doesn't fit snugly within your violently capitalist POV, highlights something about you. The video does highlight some relevant points, offering some interesting things to talk about... and this topic is on page 2 already without most of them even having been mentioned!

Religion, culture, government organization, infrastructure, geography, etc etc -- in the modern world, obviously all of these things play a role to some degree in the prosperity of a nation. And Michael S is right in saying that it's not always obvious which is cause and which effect. In my opinion, though, in the modern world, everything mentioned in the video is responsible to some extent for the failure of any given nation's prosperity, and all are worth discussing.

• Like 1

Obviously a 10 minute video on this topic is going to be simplified and fail to highlight a number of relevant points. It's designed for the kind of person in our society who doesn't read books, who has no experience, who gets most/all of their knowledge from quick internet sources. But at least there is a source for these kind of people. A hundred years ago, people who couldn't (afford/be bothered to) read books or get out and experience the world or have discussions with others just didn't know anything at all. People like that still abound, and these days a quick YouTube video can help to enlighten them a little -- and maybe even you, too.

Refusing to watch it because it's on YouTube, or calling it a load of crap because it doesn't fit snugly within your violently capitalist POV, highlights something about you. The video does highlight some relevant points, offering some interesting things to talk about... and this topic is on page 2 already without most of them even having been mentioned!

Religion, culture, government organization, infrastructure, geography, etc etc -- in the modern world, obviously all of these things play a role to some degree in the prosperity of a nation. And Michael S is right in saying that it's not always obvious which is cause and which effect. In my opinion, though, in the modern world, everything mentioned in the video is responsible to some extent for the failure of any given nation's prosperity, and all are worth discussing.

Religion? Seriously???

Yes, religion, seriously. Look at how iraq is coming apart over the sunni shia divide.

Its however not the only factor. And its impact can be mediated by strong instiutions, as in fx turkey. And culture plays a large role in contextualizing religion also. The religious attitudes of Turks is fx less of a hindrance than the religous attitude of many somalis.

How well suited do you think religious conservatives are at running an innovation economy?

Just because you dont like the presence of one factor doesnt mean that it cant be important :).

What about history... vastly disagreeing ?

What about countries today like India, Brasil, Russia, USA ?

I guess I'd better leave you guys to your conversation. Sorry for the disturbance.

Edited by canacan