Sign in to follow this  
3bob

hate in our world, endgame

Maybe we can't choose our thoughts (& emotions), but we can feed them.  Keeping them alive way after the events have past, turning them into a needle that we perversely use to prick ourselves with.  It keeps us from walking a peaceful path as often as we should; keeps us fighting or frightened when there's no immediate threat. 

Sometimes the best use for the light of awareness is seeing the needles we've created so we can put them away. 

If you believe you can, then you should. Sometimes those needles are just there, we cannot renounce them. If we cling to them, or reject them then they increase in energy. It is easier to accept them as reality, then there is no fuss. There is no suffering that way. It's like ignoring or scolding the cries of a small child, the intensity increases. If we ignore then we refuse to accept reality, if we scold then we also refuse to accept reality. We want the world other than it is. For that there is the penalty of suffering.

Awareness is simply self. We cannot help but know our thoughts because we generate them. Accept what is real that's all that is necessary. It's so simple, but ridiculously hard to do.

The "whole world" is something really impossible to fathom. It can't be more than something for you to project onto.

I remember when I lived in China, the news stories were different, the concept of "what was happening in the world" was different. I hardly heard about North America at all. In some of the other countries I visited, things seemed peaceful by comparison... maybe because the media had less influence there, I don't know. When I came back to Canada I noticed a lot more fear consciousness. I think that's where the hate comes from, ultimately. People aren't born hating, they are born waiting to be nourished by love and guidance because that's what they just came from.

To really, truly understand a thing is to love it. I'm sorry but I just can't see it any other way. Hatred, ignorance and fear are all on the same axis.

The "whole world" is where you are right now, in this very moment... your surroundings and your inner relationship. Something I learned in my travels which I will never allow myself to forget is that there are a million good and a million bad things happening in the world every day, simultaneously. My boss and I were talking about that today... how we chose careers that were perhaps not very prestigious or high paying but we decided to nurture the good instead of worry about the apocalypse.

There is no endgame.

Nice post except for this:

To really, truly understand a thing is to love it. I'm sorry but I just can't see it any other way. Hatred, ignorance and fear are all on the same axis.

However, I feel sure your intention was pure.

We have a finite time here as individuals, we are brief sparks, our efforts are mere stepping stones on a vast river. It is our job to ensure that the stone we leave is true and sound, it is the very best we could have made no matter how poor the material or clumsy our hands.

Surely a stone is a product of the flowing water, and the flow of the water likewise a result of the stones?

And neither have any intention to leave a "better" river?

It is precisely because the stones don't go around chipping away at themselves and each other in the pursuit of "betterment" that they remain so true and sound.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Surely a stone is a product of the flowing water, and the flow of the water likewise a result of the stones?

And neither have any intention to leave a "better" river?

It is precisely because the stones don't go around chipping away at themselves and each other in the pursuit of "betterment" that they remain so true and sound.

Just a thought.

It was only a metaphor for saying, we should do the best that we can in this life in order that others may do likewise. There is one life, one go around and that's your lot. No need to think about making up in the next life or in some spiritual never land. Do today what shouldn't be put off until tomorrow. If we stare at the immensity of what we think needs to be done we get lost in delusional unreality and suffering. Better to make each footstep true and the most steady we can manage and that drives internal satisfaction with life as we work on the only thing we can actually work on.

• Like 2

Yes.. I suppose I really knew what your point was and was being deliberately obtuse. But at the same time, I do think it's very much worth noting that rivers (and everything in them) are generally unconcerned with "doing well" or "the best they can", but are still quite successful at being what they are. Sometimes we can become so caught up in being true that we become completely false.

上德不德,是以有德下德不失德,是以無德

(DDJ ch.38 line 1 -- find your favourite translation!)

I agree that talk of next lives etc is neither logical nor helpful in any way, and that, regardless of anyone's belief in such things, one should probably still be concerned with one's own life in the present moment before anything else. Certainly my own present condition is the only thing I can be said with any certainty to have any direct control over.

And yes, in the words of Aceyalone,

"If it ain't worth doin' now, it ain't worth doin' at all"

^_^

• Like 1

Yes.. I suppose I really knew what your point was and was being deliberately obtuse. But at the same time, I do think it's very much worth noting that rivers (and everything in them) are generally unconcerned with "doing well" or "the best they can", but are still quite successful at being what they are. Sometimes we can become so caught up in being true that we become completely false.

上德不德,是以有德下德不失德,是以無德

(DDJ ch.38 line 1 -- find your favourite translation!)

I agree that talk of next lives etc is neither logical nor helpful in any way, and that, regardless of anyone's belief in such things, one should probably still be concerned with one's own life in the present moment before anything else. Certainly my own present condition is the only thing I can be said with any certainty to have any direct control over.

And yes, in the words of Aceyalone,

"If it ain't worth doin' now, it ain't worth doin' at all"

^_^

We can never be false, we are what we are. The irony is being unprepared to accept that which we are and so think we are some other.

• Like 1

Sometimes I like to pretend that I am a dog. I growl and run on all fours and eat things I shouldn't. But I almost always know that it's just pretend.

• Like 1

The "whole world" is something really impossible to fathom. It can't be more than something for you to project onto.

I remember when I lived in China, the news stories were different, the concept of "what was happening in the world" was different. I hardly heard about North America at all. In some of the other countries I visited, things seemed peaceful by comparison... maybe because the media had less influence there, I don't know. When I came back to Canada I noticed a lot more fear consciousness. I think that's where the hate comes from, ultimately. People aren't born hating, they are born waiting to be nourished by love and guidance because that's what they just came from.

The "whole world" is where you are right now, in this very moment... your surroundings and your inner relationship. Something I learned in my travels which I will never allow myself to forget is that there are a million good and a million bad things happening in the world every day, simultaneously. My boss and I were talking about that today... how we chose careers that were perhaps not very prestigious or high paying but we decided to nurture the good instead of worry about the apocalypse.

There is no endgame.

We could expand the "whole world idea" to the whole cosmos or all of space and time...and the endgame of such is that Tao wins so to speak, not anti-Tao which has no root - for "what is against Tao will soon cease to be".  (excerpt from the T.T.C. 30)

Love is also a two edged sword of relentless truth or along the lines of extra "tough love" besides types of warm or nurturing love.  For instance Gandhi loved all peoples but he stood firm against racial and religious hatred, forms of oppression, suppression, unfairness, etc. etc... He became a rock for justice and without justice love in its greatness as you imply is not understood or realized. 

Sign in to follow this