Sign in to follow this  
arnquist

I hate small talk

A more common (alas) scenario: you reveal something deep and personal about yourself, thereby creating an "opening," thereby making yourself vulnerable. The other party happens to be one of those people who simply can't resist. He or she puts the information, thoughts, feelings you offered through a mechanically chewing meat grinder of a mind, and then spits out in your face a deformed, mangled version with some ugly label attached to it, declaring triumphantly: "Aha, now I know! This is who you are!" (Just had this happen to me in another thread, for the umptieth time. God how thrilled I am to meet another one of those meat grinders! so rare and precious! :D ) Wary of them, I never, ever reveal any of my "biggest passion in life" to anyone. Worst come to worst, I prefer small talk, which, if it's too small to interest me at all, I mentally translate into a language I'm learning, which turns a meaningless exchange of platitudes into a useful practice.

:( I recognize this scenario sooooooooooooooo deeply.

I have become a Queen of Evasion and Deflection, thanks to the reign of the meatgrinders.

It is odd to realise that one essentially lives in hiding.

"It is odd to realise that one essentially lives in hiding."

cat

wow!

there are others...

Edited by rain

Sign in to follow this