tlkdww

I feel like I need to close my eyes during practice

I also concur with what spotless said. I feel group practice is very important. A true teacher transmits to the students energetically, and the consistent presence of instruction is what makes good practitioners in the end.

• Like 1

"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. When the students is really ready... the teacher will disappear"-Lao Tzu

??? Which chapter is that in?

Since this thread popped up again, I want to again amend my previous statement and liken it more to learning a foreign language. That's probably a closer analogy. Although when I used the word "gymnastics", I was thinking of it as "body language" which boils down to the same thing, I guess.

I also concur with what spotless said. I feel group practice is very important. A true teacher transmits to the students energetically, and the consistent presence of instruction is what makes good practitioners in the end.

I disagree to a pretty large extent, but can appreciate the idea. If your teacher isn´t preparing you for solo practice, then s/he's  possibly more dependent on you than you are on him/her. I'd be careful around that kind of instruction.

Hello all,

I have many many questions, but what's been really on my mind lately is why I feel like I need to close my eyes during my tai chi practice.

This hadn't happened before... I understand that in some traditions you close your eyes during meditation/others but in the tradition I'm following you want to have your eyes open to be grounded, have awareness and be connected, and not drift off into your own little world.

It's not like I'm tired and get sleepy, I don't think it's because I achieve relaxation, it's hard to explain.

A lot of things happen to me all the time, phyisical changes and just weird feelings, and understanding what is happening helps me a lot.

Has anyone of you ever experienced something like this before?

Eyes open connect you with the outside. Eyes close connect you internally. Practice both ways is good. Don't do only one.

• Like 1

Eyes open connect you with the outside. Eyes close connect you internally. Practice both ways is good. Don't do only one.

Yes - I've been taught that eyes open in the beginning is best. In my experience I feel this helps with turning the light around from the upper dan tien, and working on opening the third eye.

When we close the eyes, we connect much more deeply to the internal, but often disengage the third eye.

A daoist looks at nothing, but sees all.

One method is to have the eyes half open, which helps bring awareness to the point between the eyebrows, and the connection between inner and outer there, but also avoids over-focusing on the outside, so the awareness can still "see" the internal. I find this non-focused, gentle looking with eyes open approach helps to acomplish this, but I am still a beginner.

I get the feeling that as the third eye development becomes stronger, one can start to work more with the eyes closed, while keeping the third eye open.

And yes, follow what feels most natural.

Classroom settings are excellent opportunities to cultivate harmony between one's self and the outside world - always aim to be right in between those who move fast or slow around you, and learn to sense energy in all directions - all without disengaging from your internal awareness, and without allowing mental activity from others to lead to your own mental activity.

• Like 1

I feel receiving transmission is central to any kind of skill cultivation. Working in a group or with a teacher does not take away from solo training and should in fact greatly enhance it. There are many solo discoveries in this work, but guidance is essential. Believe me, my teachers have not been dependant on their students in the way you are insinuating. Rather what they have to teach is quite deep, and takes real invested time/focus and self discipline to learn.

Edited by Sunbeam

I attended some hidden classes with a shamanic master for a couple months. The sessions were long and full of constant talking from the master... it was a bit overwhelming. But one day the master shared something very interesting - that we shouldn't be listening with our minds, but with our hearts, to truly receive the transmision. I feel it is a type of intent based resonance; a vibration emanated by the master that holds a certain pattern and history, and we are learning to tap into it, much like parents and children.

The "higher level" the master, the more subtle this transmission might be, and the more sincereity might be required on behalf of the student to access it. Emptiness is not something easily understood or felt, especially when it cannot be easily spoken of. A few classes and one will easilly miss it, but with sincerity and patience, it becomes much more apparent.

There are many ways to prepare a student for solo practice, and I am coming to understand that patience and long term consistency are among the most important aspects: maintaining sincerity is key to high level progress. I've come to recognize a tendency to skip class at the same times every year, simply because I have a momentum related to doing so, a momentum that has nothing to do with my intent, but is simply indication of incompletion inherently wants to find an outlet; a leakage. It is nice that attenting class consistently has the added benefit of supporting stability of that familial-lineage as well. Lineage is simply the threads by which we are connected - as with our parents - the changes in our own energy influence the threads we are connected to several generations forward and backwards, so a teacher student relationship is a two way street. The stability and cultivation of the master influences their students, and vice versa - so it is only natural for a master to lead their students to a similar place of consistency and stability.

My teacher does not insist that we come to class. Recently it was shared with us that those who are able to cultivate consistently on their own, breaking through their own hurdles, are very rare, and are often those who hold the potential to become master teachers.

We can all only hope to do our best. Some of us will find help from teachers, and that does not mean we are tied to those teachers indefinitely. Sometimes people are so resistant to change, thinking everything is permanent. When we simply hold to sincerity, we grow, and we know when it is time to move on. Just like the topic of this thread - as our energy develops, the operation changes, and we simply need to listen to how it wants to change, and we can grow.

Yes - I've been taught that eyes open in the beginning is best. In my experience I feel this helps with turning the light around from the upper dan tien, and working on opening the third eye.

When we close the eyes, we connect much more deeply to the internal, but often disengage the third eye.

A daoist looks at nothing, but sees all.

One method is to have the eyes half open, which helps bring awareness to the point between the eyebrows, and the connection between inner and outer there, but also avoids over-focusing on the outside, so the awareness can still "see" the internal. I find this non-focused, gentle looking with eyes open approach helps to acomplish this, but I am still a beginner.

I get the feeling that as the third eye development becomes stronger, one can start to work more with the eyes closed, while keeping the third eye open.

And yes, follow what feels most natural.

Classroom settings are excellent opportunities to cultivate harmony between one's self and the outside world - always aim to be right in between those who move fast or slow around you, and learn to sense energy in all directions - all without disengaging from your internal awareness, and without allowing mental activity from others to lead to your own mental activity.

I noticed that "seeing the energy" seems to need a slightly "crossed" vision - not focusing on anything, not closing the eyes either. Almost like seen from the peripheral vision. 

I disagree to a pretty large extent, but can appreciate the idea. If your teacher isn´t preparing you for solo practice, then s/he's  possibly more dependent on you than you are on him/her. I'd be careful around that kind of instruction.

It depends on the level we are learning at (teacher is capable of teaching, thereby their level of attainment), imho. 

Every time I go to my teacher's home for a lesson, he also adjusts internally (energetically) and gives more material to focus on,  corrections (not physical but energetic and mental). For a teacher to be able to keep track of our development is a coveted thing. 

But my teacher always knows if we've not done the "homework" :) He says if you don't do your homework, you cannot grow. 

My teacher also says we should teach others too. Best way to learn more about yourself and your limitations, correct yourself is via teaching others. However, that said, we will probably know when we truly are ready to teach. If someone is teaching "taiji" after doing 6 months of practice, it's likely a case of the blind leading the blind. I think it takes at least 7-8 years of dedicated practice to get to a level where we can disseminate some of the internal details along with the obvious external forms.

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

Yes. I think if you find a teacher who can truly convey the depths, you should spend as much time with them as possible! This is how you learn to go there yourself. Of course your own work is what will ultimately get you there... The master simply shows the way to mastery if you are willing and able to undertake it.

• Like 1

To be honest I think your primary focus should be on meditation. Tai Chi is ok for stretching the body and generating blood flow but if you really want to get somewhere meaningful, meditation is the way to go. So yes, you should be closing your eyes during practice. :)