ChiDragon

Tai Chi, The Pyramid View of the Body, and grounding

What i said was in relation to ChiDragon mentioning that if one moves then everything moves, i mentioned that in some cases its the other way around, like when you do an "invisible kick" your upper body shouldnt move at all or else the kick isnt invisible, especially if you're bridged to a good listnener. Concealing the yi to an opponent mus mean that the bridge is silent while the body moves.

Its very hard to conceal intent while double weighted is my point.

I believe that a "invisible kick (無影腳) is not one of the Tai Ji movements.

Edited by ChiDragon

Why not? I think the methods famously practiced in various tai chi styles would be perfect to employ for invisible kicks and other moves where apparent stillness is decietful.

Edit: to keep an art alive its necessary to study its core techniques, wich i believe are roughly "whats this you're doing with your body here?" It all comes down to what it is in fact your teacher is showing you and even more importantly what you're teaching yourself in the process. If you think a method will fit a technique or tactic, try it out, the parameters are all there, you have the teaching, explore it according to the rules and guidelines of it.

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth

Okay, I think I know what are these all meant.

Single weighted is to apply pressure to one leg.

Double weighted is to apply pressure to both legs.

The purpose of rooting is to have a good ground leverage and a pivot point for stability and balance.

I have pushed with people who can root through the unweighted leg. They throw me around like a rag doll.

Your description of the physics explains the physics up to a point. Would you claim that is what the classic texts are talking about?

There is a tradition that talks about this stuff. I made an effort to offer some of that up for discussion. Is that chopped liver? You didn't reply to any of that. It was the best I have to offer. If it is of no use, then anything else would subtract from it.

Why not? I think the methods famously practiced in various tai chi styles would be perfect to employ for invisible kicks and other moves where apparent stillness is decietful.

Edit: to keep an art alive its necessary to study its core techniques, wich i believe are roughly "whats this you're doing with your body here?" It all comes down to what it is in fact your teacher is showing you and even more importantly what you're teaching yourself in the process. If you think a method will fit a technique or tactic, try it out, the parameters are all there, you have the teaching, explore it according to the rules and guidelines of it.

Well, I don't see why not. One can incorporate any method into anything. However, I would keep track of which is the apple or orange.

• Like 1

1. I have pushed with people who can root through the unweighted leg. They throw me around like a rag doll.

2. Your description of the physics explains the physics up to a point. Would you claim that is what the classic texts are talking about?

3. There is a tradition that talks about this stuff. I made an effort to offer some of that up for discussion. Is that chopped liver? You didn't reply to any of that. It was the best I have to offer. If it is of no use, then anything else would subtract from it.

1. I understand that you are talking about Fajin

2. Yes, it is.

3. I did expect something simple in your own words but you had given me tons of information. Did you expect me to read all of them and still try to figure out what you were telling me.....???

Edited by ChiDragon

Pardon me, ChiDragon. I was peevish in my reply.

I am not sure about the matter all relating to fa jin. I will think about it.

Pardon me, ChiDragon. I was peevish in my reply.

No problem, we all are humans. That's why we are trying to cultivate to have the personality of a Taoist. :)

Edited by ChiDragon

PLB don't wrack your brain trying to figure out how rooting through the empty leg relates to fajin - it's just more open and close and yi. Better to push hands more than talk here about it. Honestly the physics behind some of what we are doing isn't even fleshed out well yet. Tensegrity, fluid dynamics, rapid impulses, multiple triangular load and force transfers, not to mention lengthening of an acceleration path (spiral imagery) all contribute to what we do in internal martial arts.

• Like 1

Lao Zi: "Keep the good and discard the bad" or "Pay close attention to the bad but do not disregard the good."

Edited by ChiDragon