Sign in to follow this  
dust

I'm thinking of becoming a knight-errant

Well, I did save a few princesses in my younger years while on my quests but never had to fight a dragon.  They probably heard I was coming and ran off and hid.

It´s usually the job of the princess to provide the dragon.  

• Like 2

It´s usually the job of the princess to provide the dragon.  

I never viewed it from that perspective but, based on the experiences I have had, you may well be right.

• Like 2

You should be of noble birth to be a knight.

How many dukes do you have in your ancestry?

Mostly just butchers and bakers in recent history, but in theory I am descended from Macbeth. Does that count?

edit Also, I don't know about nobles, but I'm pretty sure the current Queen of England confers knighthoods upon mounted warriors less often than businessmen and actors.

I had no idea this thread existed when I registered!  :)

Quite surprisingly, the work became more convenient in our modern western society than in previous centuries:
  • Idiots who want to prevent us questing to slay dragons, save the princess, or find the grail are no longer taken seriously.
  • It also far more easier to take care of the horses, their health and life expectancy increased, so it is possible to quest more.
  • The number of maps available has also skyrocketed. They are also way better research available. Therefore getting lost in the quest due to a bad map is less common today than before.
In fact the biggest problem which have risen is the number of distractions, it became easier to forget the quest due to our inattention.

An honour to make your acquaintance.

The map thing I hadn't considered. Certainly a bonus!

And.. ah, yes.. my short attention span...

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 2

You should be of noble birth to be a knight.

How many dukes do you have in your ancestry?

While a little bit depended on time and country, this was seldom the case and certainly not in the case of such a high ranking title as duke, a title which like prince was often a sovereign in his own right, for example during the middle ages the Duke of Burgundy, was in all but tile, the greatest Sovereign Lord of Western Europe, whose wealth and power far outstripped that of the King of France.  Such Titles survive in the Grand Dukes of Luxembourg, and the well known case of the Princes of Monaco and the more obscure Princes of Lichtenstein, unless one is looking for a tax have, or what about the really obscure Princes of Andorra?

Generally speaking in the middle ages, the Knight would come from a class called the Gentry, though the younger sons of nobles, sons of Baron, Baronettes being a later addition, and up in England, would seek to earn fame, fortune and a title of their very own through military service, and for them their was a fairly clear path to the title of knight, one might almost call it an entitlement program of the Noble and Gentry classes, if one were so inclined, but rising through the ranks was also possible, and many was the brave common soldiers who through his heroic actions on the field was knighted there and then by a grateful Sovereign.

Well, one could write a book about the complexities involved in such things, but this is all I can spare for now.

So, don't give up on the idea of gaining a knighthood.  Just remember, to Errant is knightly, to Knight is Divine Right, and you'll have not problems, well, even though Divine Right did cause the Stuarts some problems in the Seventeenth Century.

Edit: Posted this without the Divine Right reference, I had thought of it, but got distracted, see how pernicious those attention problems are, and didn't make the change before posting.

Edited by Zhongyongdaoist
  • Like 2

Well, Paul McCartney has been knighted twice so I guess knighthood is still possible for a commoner.

I have been knighted ... a very spurious Order that  has no right to knight people - something from a failed Spanish revolution.

My Brother in law got Knighted by the real King of Spain though ( the last one)  . Sir Roy of the Order of Isabella. Apparently they had something to do with the Spanish Inquisition.

And, since no one expects the Spanish Inquisition, I was wondering, maybe a Highwayman would be a better occupation  for you Dusty ?  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLkhx0eqK5w

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

...I was wondering, maybe a Highwayman would be a better occupation  for you Dusty ?  

Yeah, something like a Robin Hood in a Mother Teresa uniform.

Sign in to follow this