Owledge

Atheism as a religion

I was wondering why you got (figuratively) horny midway thru, but was afraid to ask, to save possible embarrassment. But the fog's cleared a bit now, though i still don't get the association btwn topic and this testosterone activity you mentioned. :D:D

I don't think I do either...my mind has been in a weird place lately. I'm exhausted and meditation just hasn't happened for a while.

So you might find me sexually odd or aggressive or perhaps sarcastic or moody. Take me with a pinch of salt and a balanced me that you're used to will be back after this mad month is out of the way :)

• Like 1

Not by scientific procedure, ...

WoW! What part should I speak to? I actually don't disagree to any extent with anything you said.

But your use of the word "dogma" was funny to me considering religions are based totally on dogma. Most closed-minded institutions I know of.

But sure, science is most a "best guess" until more support is found or contradictory proof has been presented.

Somewhere recently I suggested that there exists a possibility of a total of seven universe. But still, the total of everything is still going to be the total of everything no matter how big or small it might be.

Ok, as an example. We are breathing...that's a fact, right?

It's a definition. Does that count as fact?

It's a 'fact' like that 1+1=2.

On some level, breathing becomes a very different process than what it is defined as. It becomes an idea that can manipulate pretty much everything. It is made up like everything else.

It gets easier to believe someone is God if that person has more of the divine radiate through them. Because, since we are all God, yet very used to using our analytical mind, we have trouble with the idea that several people can be one thing.

I have been subjected to that thought before. Didn't buy it then and still don't buy it.

That's a big problem and should-be mental conflict in monotheism, with the personification of the divine. The claim that God is almighty, yet is being regarded as a single person. How could someone with the attributes of God still be just a person?

Monotheism is not a problem, I think, but rather the personification of God is. How can a god have human qualities?

Even I was/am habitually operating quite a lot on this analytical view, and that gave me a very hard time when I experienced myself being God.

Lucky for me I never went through that. And it would be a really big problem for me considering the strength of my ego. NO, better I remain human.

Somewhere recently I suggested that there exists a possibility of a total of seven universe. But still, the total of everything is still going to be the total of everything no matter how big or small it might be.

But this (highlighted) is what creates confusion of definition with reality, which is a widespread problem. It is like the frequent claims along the lines of "There are only n types of people in the world.", No, there are n analytical definitions you came up with. There is no inherent truth in it. It's a viewpoint. "Look how good I can distinguish. My intellect it superior. My word is truth."

• Like 1

But this (highlighted) is what creates confusion

Why would that create confusion? I suggested there is a possibility. How many people state factually that there is a god when they have absolutely no proof. At least my suggestion was supported by the suggestion that all of the dark matter in the universe could actually be other universes.

No, I cannot prove anything but then no one can disprove it.

You really should service that pony, she has way too much energy.

• Like 1

Lucky for me I never went through that. And it would be a really big problem for me considering the strength of my ego. NO, better I remain human.

I suspect that this is related to when people in mental institutions claim they are God. They might have had an accidental entheogenic experience and naturally didn't know how to handle it. Imagine someone unlocking their third eye without ever having read about what that is. They'd think they're going crazy; hallucinating.

I also have to say, and I can only speak from my own experience, part of the experience was massively humbling. If you go into such an experience with a huge ego, you either don't get that far at all, or it will be a horror trip. Depends on how much effort the universe puts into making you grow.

You know what is scarier than having to accomplish a task under threat of death?

If the task given IS death.

And even more so if failure is not an option.

Now you might understand a little what I went through with ayahuasca.

Why would that create confusion? I suggested there is a possibility. How many people state factually that there is a god when they have absolutely no proof. At least my suggestion was supported by the suggestion that all of the dark matter in the universe could actually be other universes.

No, I cannot prove anything but then no one can disprove it.

You really should service that pony, she has way too much energy.

Dark matter itself is an idea full of the likes of confusion I was talking about. So you base a very vague theory that includes a specific number on another very vague theory. You would have a hard time making your 7-universes theory appear any more plausible than someone else's 8-universes theory.

In fact, the many propositions in this area that caused a chain of claims about more and more possible universes from various people seemed quite like Terry Pratchett's type of humor when he describes the wizard caste, and the analogy of a dick size comparison came to mind, too.

And that pony gets all the energy she needs to be herself. Energy is life.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

And another post with no idea how to respond to it.

I don't know if I would accept death willingly. I would likely go down with a fight.

But yes, our mind works in ways that sometimes we just don't understand what is happening. Creation of illusion and delusion or a very deep realization.

I used to worry about failure. I don't anymore. I do the best I can and let it go.

Yes, we all have our personal experiences. Some are more challenging than others.

Of course, I would never try to convert you to Atheism. That wouldn't even be a consideration for me.

You can be proud of having made it through trying times. Many people don't make it. There are still Vietnam veterans on the streets who could never get beyond what the experienced while there.

Ok, as an example. We are breathing...that's a fact, right?

Well..I think that we have to assume certain things to be factual in order to function. If we question whether or not we're really thinking/existing/breathing etc, we question ourselves to the point that our own actions become meaningless.

That said, I'm sure someone cleverer than me could make a convincing argument for why we're not actually breathing.. a Solipsist might say that he's the only one breathing; an Idealist might say that we can't be sure that anything outside of thought (including our own physical presence?) isn't pure imagination.

But like I said, I think this way of thinking is fairly useless... whether it's true or not, I'm experiencing breathing, so I might as well accept it as fact.

There are things that have been believed to be factual and have been found false, such as that the Sun orbits the Earth, or that chemical elements' atomic weights are always the same.

And there are things which are held only as beliefs but might well be factual...but I couldn't give examples...could be anything...

• Like 1

And another post with no idea how to respond to it.

I don't know if I would accept death willingly. I would likely go down with a fight.

But yes, our mind works in ways that sometimes we just don't understand what is happening. Creation of illusion and delusion or a very deep realization.

I used to worry about failure. I don't anymore. I do the best I can and let it go.

Yes, we all have our personal experiences. Some are more challenging than others.

Of course, I would never try to convert you to Atheism. That wouldn't even be a consideration for me.

You can be proud of having made it through trying times. Many people don't make it. There are still Vietnam veterans on the streets who could never get beyond what the experienced while there.

Those who go down with a fight go up after it.

Converting me to Atheism wouldn't work anyway. I was there, and I left without drama. It was a part of my path in life, but I consider myself growing. (Spirituality was actually a mere logical extension of my intellectual inquiries. If you have seen Star Trek, imagine V'ger returning to Earth and asking: Is there nothing else?)

Also, my trying times are far from over. Restrictions make growth cause great pain.

• Like 2

You use a computer to reject the quantum-mechanical principles upon which the computer functions yet you see no irony there.

Interesting point; I attended a prashna lecture at a conference with my Jyotish Guru recently, in London; sitting next to me was a doctor of quantum mechanics who was working for a chip manufacturer, trying to solve the problem of quantum error in the fabrication of microchips, naturally he had turned to the science of light, the meeting between the spiritual and the material.

Nice post.

The deities in Jyotish shastra are used to dissipate and understand the emotions better, to remember the phenotypes, mantra to help channel push the photon for Schrodinger cat; I find that Atheist in general have difficulty letting go, that they are often ego centric and rather controlling. I don't mean to generalize; but there would appear to be a strong correlation, a fitting trend.

I have no real problem with Atheists other than their rather obsessive addictions to money and work, and an economy supported singly by economy driven science. The social model is destroying the planet, and I have no time to play my guitar and sing.

As long as you're going to mention Max Planck and argue about quotes from a pop music star, you may as well argue about quotes from Max Planck. Here are some:

All from Wikiquote

It was Planck's constant that launched Quantum Mechanics.

Sounds like advaita to me.

john lennon is an example of a legend turning into myth. he prophesized his own shooting. i would post lennon's Mind Games but on this forum i already have at least twice.

Prophesy, or was perhaps his mantra the cause?

I wonder some times to whom John Lennon was referring to as "they", in "Working class hero" ...

Enough to raise the snake for many.

Edited by iain

This is worthy of repeating, I think.  Caused me to think:  Agnostic Theist.  This may fit into Taoism as well.

• Like 1

I have no real problem with Atheists other than their rather obsessive addictions to money and work,

But I don't work and I have only enough money to serve my needs and occasionally the needs of others.

You can't use that as a basket for Atheists.

• Like 2

Well, I learned one thing yesterday from our discussions.

I will never use the word "science" to support my Atheism.

Science too sees too many imaginary things.

• Like 2

It's a definition. Does that count as fact?

It's a 'fact' like that 1+1=2.

On some level, breathing becomes a very different process than what it is defined as. It becomes an idea that can manipulate pretty much everything. It is made up like everything else.

I cannot grasp what you are saying in the slightest.

It's not even a definition. If anything, it's a verb...and unless I'm mistaken, you and I both are, at some point today, breathing. Of course that's a fact, otherwise you are surely agreeing that the opposite is a fact, which is craziness!

Edited by Rara