bax44

lack of masculine energy

wel ... ok, I certainly didn't reckon with nightmares, lol. But ok, yes, basically like the metal phase 'tree' stance, where you have the palms turned to the lungs, but lower, palms turned directly to the groin. But -- you have to make some adjustments to your stance:

Allow the weight to settle along the outside of the legs and into the outer edges of the feet (which as always, are shoulder-width, parallel, forming a square or rectangle). It'll feel ever so slightly 'bowlegged', but all your toes will still touch the ground effortlessly. This will open the kua/groin very gently, and is one of the keys to the effectiveness of the stance. The dangly bits should have plenty of room and air circulation i.e. no tight underwear, or no underwear at all.

The weight will be centered more in the heels, about 60/40 heel/ball distribution, but this occurs through a sinking of the lumbar spine/sacrum and will cause the knees to 'give way' a bit (it looks like you're 'bending slightly at the knees', like it says in all the books, but that's only the outward appearance. The actual correction happens in the pelvis/hips and is more internal).

When you have this down, then it's time to pull up Huiyin/perinium. For a man, I think the easiset technique is applying the muscles you need to pull the scrotum upwards (you know you can make it move up and down, it feels similar to wiggling the ears). Do this also very, very gently, hardly any tension at all. It's better to err on the side of too little than too much, or even just 'think' about the movement instead of forcing the physical aspect.

Ok ... now we're getting there ...

Stand erect (except that the lumbar spine is extended and 'settled in' to the pelvis); shoulders hang loosely, underarms open (very important), and the palms turned toward the groin, at a comfortable distance in about the 10 to 20cm range. Hands very realxed, with a little space between all the fingers, as though you have little soap bubbles between them (check your thumbs, make sure they're not stiff and pointing upward).

Center your thoughts in the palms/groin, but keep your eyes open, your gaze wide, like a warrior standing on the bullwark, guarding the castle, looking out over the horizon for approaching danger. Feel into that role. Yes, a real man's work, lol. Strong, alert, firm. And just a little horny.

I previously wrote 15 to 20 minutes, but really you want to shoot for 20+ minutes twice a day, especially early in the morning. Second session ideally not too close to bedtime or you're going to have trouble sleeping, and maybe bad dreams ;) Always start with some loosening exercises as in The Way of Energy (arm swinging, etc). And finish correctly(!)

To close an exercise like this:

Lay the hands atop one another on your low belly/pubic region. Close the eyes and be still for a minute or two. Soften the face. Move the hands from the belly to over the closed eyes. Hold a minute or two. Open the eyes behind the hands. Pull the hands slowly apart, allowing the light to enter gradually. Make note of the colors, light, shadow, depth, height ... like looking at the world for the first time, with new vitality and no fear.

Then a self-massage routine to really solidify the Qi in your body, but I'm done writing for the nonce haha

Wow great explanation! Gonna start this today I think.

Lately have been feeling very drained of what id call "masculine" energy. Like that fire in your belly that drives you to achieve, be better, etc. I suffered a prolonged illness this summer where I lost 10-15 pounds. It seems the only time I get some of this spark back is when I go on long retention streaks. When I release, its as if my soul leaves me lol, leaving me vulnerable and over emotional. I practice meditation at least an hour a day and workout when my energy level allows. anyone with any ideas? practices? Ive had low T on and off for years but this lack of "drive" is making life difficult for me at times.

Cultuvate your mojo.

No kidding...

...are you in to sports, martial arts, business or boisterous types of things?

Thx for the suggestion. I actually have the book "the way of energy" and was doing zhan zhuang back in December. I only stuck with it for like a month cuz for some reason I was getting nightmares while doing the practice. For some reason after having meditated for like ten months at that point anytime I'd try a new energy practice I was really really sensitive to them. I never did the one with the groin centered stance I mostly did the regular standing w knees slightly bent followed by "hug the tree". I remember feeling pretty refreshed after each session but stopped like I said cuz of the crazy dreams lol. So it's basically like hugging the tree but lower correct?

Nightmares is just a hurdle. Take it as a positive...you're clearing some crap out.

Must be quite a bit of crap there...I've been there plenty of times.

Tackle the challenges in front of you hands on, I think this is what you could be missing, especially as you lack the drive for this.

As I said, mojo cultivation will help, of you're interested/that way inclined.

I'd consider some martial arts classes. Or something exciting, new and adventurous, something that'll give you that adrenaline rush, wake up that "fight or flight" reflex in you.

Sometimes you have to push your body a little. Working out only when you feel like it will keep you where you are. Push yourself and workout on a regular basis, regardless of how you feel your energy levels to be. Look into H.I.I.T (High intensity interval training), it increases testosterone and the amount of ATP stored within the muscles, pushing your physical boundaries.

I hope it helps :)

This.

Despite chronic illness, do what you can. I don't know your exact condition but I always feel we could always do that little bit more. I often give myself excuses to let things slide in my training. If I tell the voices to shut up, I surprise myself sometimes on what I can do!

Edited by Rara

As a cultivator I'll give some suggestions based on personal experience (as well as my personal path as well).

It's grueling, but pure hard retention does work wonders if you stick it out long enough. Currently I'm doing very yang stuff (lifting weights, building muscle) though I am incorporating daily sitting meditation as well. The idea is that I'm doing something with the energy - it is being also sent to creative faculties as well as physical ones.

In 2-3 years my plan is to switch over entirely to yoga for energy work and drop the strength training. Currently I think of what I'm doing as "building a fire" or laying foundation for the person I want to become. Building muscle is still weaker than spirit when spirit is at its strongest, but for me it is helping me feel more masculine in the meantime. It builds discipline, and it's also tangible and easy to see results. Again though, only temporary.

When you retain for long periods of time be prepared to feel very "pent up" with energy; it may manifest as being unable to sleep, having OCD, being indecisive, or easily agitated. You may feel easily combative with other men. Additionally the food that you eat will have a magnified affect on you - it will take less to feel full, and the energy will lost longer. Fasting is probably a good idea when you've been cultivating. Also, if you are used to needing external stimuli to become aroused it may take awhile before you are able to become so naturally again. Once you've got it back though you should be fine.

Positives: your memory will improve significantly, you'll have more energy, most likely lose weight and improve muscle tone at the same time, you will have more confidence, impulsiveness (a masculine trait), and will be able to love yourself more.

When I started I had testosterone in the lower end of normal. By tweaking diet, getting enough sleep and being more active I was able to improve it significantly. The suggestions about interval training are really good, also try putting yourself in high-octane environments like bars and clubs. You'll certainly feel a lot more "alive".