MooNiNite

Sleep Rotation

Sometimes the sleep cycle of a practitioner will rotate a full 360, then go back to normal every few months.

for example, they will wake up later and later and later each day until they wake up at a normal time again. Then maybe a few months later this will happen again.

For example, they could have work at 9am and well not have gotten sleep before hand.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced sleep cycle rotations like this?

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 1

Most definitely.

My sleep patterns have fluctuated wildly throughout my life.

Though my sleep is stable these days, it shifts a bit depending if I'm working on a project or not.

Used to be I would go to bed around 4am and wake up mid day. This went on for years. I was writing and performing for a few theater companies back then and the hours between 10pm and 4am were my most productive. It was natural. This was my mid to late twenties.

More recently I'm waking up around 3-5 am. Which is beautiful. The quiet early hours of predawn are absolutely incredible.

I love moving slowly, hearing the early morning birds and simply being in the hours when most everyone in my side of the planet is still sleeping.

Over the last month, I've adjusted again. I've taken the summer off to be with my son and we fell into a natural pattern of going to bed around midnight.

I spent a couple years in a self induced poly-phasic sleep pattern during college.

The phrase didn't exist for me when I was practicing it, I just called them cat naps.

The idea came upon me out of necessity and from having grown up living with cats.

I started catching multiple short naps through the day and night and it worked great.

Was married, working and living off campus, performing in 4-10 productions a year and graduated summa cum laude with two degrees. Of course, I was 22-23 so... could have done it on almost no sleep...

Though it was during this phase of my life that my dream life became the most intense and vivid on a consistent basis.

This led experimenting with various changes in sleep to help induce more lucid dreams and to enhance OBE exits.

I really detest Descartes and the whole mechanistic Cartesian paradigm.

Mechanical time to me, is a square corner, human illusion and an out of balance left brain disease.

• Like 2

I think at some point, if you're lucky, you'll settle into a natural pattern, which follows the sun.

Lately I'm off by myself a lot, so I'm in bed at 9:30, up at 5:30. No alarm clock. Other than when the birds start up which is usually around 4am. Hearing that means I have another hour of sleep :) I love it. There's no time like the early morning. I love being up i the dawn, before everyone else, just me and the animals and birds. It's a different kind of "time", that early in the morning.

Sun is opposing my natal mars, and I feel like I've had 3 cups of coffee, but haven't been drinking coffee at all. Yesterday I woke at 4am, and this morning finally went to bed at 4am.

In addition to how the cycles of the moon and sun affect us, so do the cycles of the planets, their affect on where the planets were when we were born, and the various energetic ripplings as they cross paths with each other. I don't really follow the charts and movements of the planetary bodies so much any more, but when the sun activates my mars it is pretty unmistakable for me.

It's interesting how these changes in energetic influence have an effect on our sleep cycles, should we let them. I've generally been a light sleeper, and I'm curious to start exploring a less circadian patterns in general, so that I can take more advantage of natural changes in energy and be ruled less by the cycle of sunlight. It seems that things with slower rhythms inhale during the daytime and exhale at night. I'm curious to explore the interaction of the stars and energies of the breath of earth-life a little more directly. Naturally such a change will require more time spent cultivating on my part.

Edited by Daeluin

What about shift workers?

Yeah there are certain work schedules which just aren't conducive to cultivation. You can get stuff done, I'm sure...but working graveyard shift is a hindrance to it.

I won't say some corporate executive working 70+ hours a week can't suddenly become enlightened...but I think for most of us, at some point, if we want to progress, we've got to set up a life for ourselves which allows a natural sleep schedule and time to reflect.

• Like 1

yep ... some are effected from more than the day night rhythm

In central Australia, a traditional lifestyle, in good times might mean 3 hours work a day to keep necessities going and times virtually all night 'cultural activities'.

people make good points above about astrology.

Consider this non-human perspective on it.

http://www.astro-calendar.com/shtml/Research/CowTimes2.shtml

• Like 1

On another matter I thought the title meant rotating 360 degrees in your sleep, I was curious as twice women have told me I sort of jerk off the bed (hmmm ... better clarify ,,, I sort of shudder and jump up off the mattress , rotate 180 and land .

I thought this was BS until once I sort of noticed that when I was half awake, so I posted (on another forum) about it and got several replies that others do that too :blink:

But I never did a 360 :D

• Like 1