tyler zambori

What can feminism do for men?

Heroic Ego – Man’s Animus

Perhaps all ‘archetypes; need to be viewed through a larger current ‘mythological paradigm’ ?

The heroic ego is grounded in soul, but in a different way than the Anima. It tries to separate itself from soul, but of course, it can’t. This “ … gives that sense of individuality that Westerners treasure. It gives us that literalness we seem to need in order to feel that the world really is real. ” 1. Often the myth is in context of a ‘fall’ ( Adam and Eve ) , apparently a necessary ‘sin’ of self-determination to render full and proper service to God, by choice. Harpur mentions the “ hardening of the heroic ego into a single rigid style which excludes God altogether, along with any other reality which is not literal.” 1. [my emphasis].

Prometheus is a similar myth, in this case (stealing fire) he has been proposed as a dominant current mythological archetype; fire representing technology and sciences. His sin is hubris ; as good as a God, perhaps better … eventually ‘God’ (and the related ‘other realities which are not literal’) is seen as not being needed. Nowadays, in modern western culture , many are guilty of this.

This, in a way, is why Faust has also been proposed for this position. This myth “ grew up around a historical figure, a minor Renaissance magus, and became increasingly mythologised, and widespread, through pamphlets, travelling morality plays and puppet shows. The story was adapted by Christopher Marlow for his play Doctor Faustus (1591), and by Goethe for his long alchemic tragedy Faust ( ? 1771 – 1831).”

“The original John Faustus was supposed to have exchanged the traditional magus’s pursuit of knowledge as gnosis for knowledge as power and gratification – the mythic root, perhaps of scientism rather than science.” 1.

But James Hillman has identified the current heroic ego paradigm as Hercules [ still ! ] . Because, like modern man, Hercules cannot bear daimons or images. He doesn’t want to think about death. His 12 labours are “ largely taken up with slaughtering or enslaving the fabulous beasts that embody the otherworldly powers of imagination.” 1. [ Whereas, the opposite approach, making an ally, even if it means ‘destruction’ of the ego, is the shamanic formula of initiation and communicating with soul.]

“His (Hercules) attitude to the Underworld, so crucial in understanding any relationship to soul, is what would now be called dysfunctional. Where other heroes go to be initiated or instructed, Heracles goes on the rampage.” He also ; forces Charon to carry him across the Styx , draws his sword to kill Gorgon Medusa (until Hermes has to point that she is a phantom and a sword cant kill her), he kills cattle and tries to feed their blood to shades (to try and bring them back to life), and then brings Cerberus up into the daylight (which is like trying to give a mole a suntan). …. He doesn’t seem to be ‘getting it’ .

“Rather than dying metaphorically, as initiation demands, he kills literally, even attacking death itself (he wounds Hades in the shoulder).” 2. Heracles asked to be initiated after this (into the Eleusinian Mysteries) but he was refused, “ partaking (only) of the Lesser Mysteries (which were specially founded on his account) . “ 1.

“ The lack of initiation is disastrous. It means that Heracles remains a daimon-killer, constantly denying the imagination, the Underworld and death. And this is precisely the pattern of the rational ego. Daimons make it mad because its sanity requires something ‘real’ it can bludgeon with a club. “

So does the soul, and its reflections … modern dominant culture, at times, actually seems like it wants to smash the environment with a club … and anything that threatens its ego / hero .

Harpur points out that although Heracles may seem to be the dominant paradigm, it isn’t the only way to behave. He cites many including; Odysseus who has a devoted wife, but has a variety of other relationships with; a witch … a Goddess , he is not strong, nor has an army, he’s not above feigning madness to avoid war, wily, crafty and devious, and refuses an offer of immortality from Calypso. He doesn’t even go to the underworld, he has such an affinity with it already, he summons the underworld to him, again to give cattle’s blood to the shades, but in this case, he realises it is a temporary measure … he just needs some information of them.

Then there is Siegfried (or in Norse – Sigurd, who slays Fafnir , a dragon) and makes himself immortal (except for the one little spot on his back he missed – like Achilles’ ankle) . “ To be invulnerable is a mixed blessing. It means you do not let anything in. It means that you are immune to metaphorical death of initiation as you are literal death.” 1. Then he really makes a mess of things. He gets the shamans call from the Underworld via the beautiful valkyr Brynhild,( a symbol of his soul) he rescues her from a tower but then leaves her to perform deeds that will make him worthy of her ( achieving initiation and defeating the rational ego and literal perspective). But what does he do during his adventures? He forgets all about Brynhild and goes and marries some homely housewife type ( Gudrun) , after some family affairs, where Brynhild ends up with Sigurd’s brother and when he goes to their wedding he remembers she is actually his true love, she begs him to flee with her but he denies all his …. dharma … and refuses because of ‘duty’ to his wife and brother .

Then there is Baldur, who has a reverse protection, he isn’t invulnerable, but everything outside of him has agreed not to hurt him … except the mistletoe (it will always get you one way or another … when , to misquote …. ‘hell hath no fury like a soul scorned’ ).

What ended up happening to Heracles? He eventually got ‘emasculated’ ended up having to do penance … wear a dress, and do all sorts of stuff ... eventually they made a big fire and snuffed himself in it.

That’ll learn him.

So it is not just wacky modern day theory that cultures and men that lack, or refuse initiation (which means basically; Man – know thyself! ) and insist to dominate with their ego, are an ill to themselves and society … that idea has been around a long time.

1. Patrick Harpur. The Philosophers Secret Fire – A History of the Imagination.

2. Patrick Harpur. Daimonic Reality – A Field Guide to the Other World.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

09b7d512fc1ffec6acf236fa1e1b8b70.jpg

1. First and foremost, take it slow! Always be sure to pay attention to your partner's needs and desires.

2. Start the foreplay! Let her warm up to you with some tender cuddling.

3. Kiss her slowly and sensually. Caress her neck and shoulders to deepen your connection.

4. Slowly but confidently massage every inch of her skin. If she's receptive to it, try using your tongue.

5. Once she's comfortable, invoke the sigil of a long-dead Elder God of your choosing.

6. Wrap the unknown terror of the universe around her very soul like a warm cloak of the finest sable. If done right, this will really get her going!

7. Shed your human form and become the physical embodiment of Athnaug'r Un Dre'gn , Lord of the Ever Burning Dread.

8. Try introducing a fun new twist like oils or scented candles.

9. Open your Secret Mouth and let the Song of Madness spill forth from your cursed lips.

10. If all the above steps are performed correctly, your partner will be begging for more. At least they would be, if their mind weren't trapped forever in a pitch-black ocean of everlasting insanity, you STUD!

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 1

The Demon Lover.

It all started innocently enough. Immediately after I had first met L. I began to become attracted to her. Then I began to imagine, at night, lying in my bed, that she would be lying next to me. It was nice, warm and wholesome. But then the serpent reared its head and my feelings began to take a sexual turn. This somewhat surprised me. But I kept control of it. However my night imaginings became more intense, until, one night I broke the rule.

I have no excuse. My teacher had warned me about this while he was still alive.

“Never,” he informed me, “must the Magician enact a sexual penetration on another whilst in his Body of Light unless he has first had that experience on the physical plane with the consent of that person. And then gained her consent for astral sex.”

I broke the rule.

I was tempted to excuse myself by saying I couldn’t help it; a pathetic and ridiculous excuse for a Magician. It happened little by little, until one night … I did it. I wasn’t worried at first as L. seemed to be enjoying it. I continued my ‘affair’ each night. It was very enjoyable for me as well but little did I know back then, that by breaking the rule I had released … The Demon.

As time went on The Demon became more powerful, soon I was lost to it. But I could not tell as I was in a storming vortex of desire.

I had altogether stopped seeing her on the physical plane. But at night I called her and she came … every night. My love making became more intense. I called her and she came.

My Body of Light had sprouted horns and long fingers with talons. I did unspeakable things to her … and I delighted in it.

Then one night I thought, ‘I always draw her here, what if I go to her place and invade her very bedroom?’ With that wicked thought the Demon grew stronger, the horns grew longer, like a goat’s, and the talons grew sharper.

The next night the Demon arose from my body and flew through the air and stopped above her house and hovered. I knew that she knew I was there. I descended through the roof and hovered above her canopy. I knew that she knew I was there. I descended through the canopy and hovered over her bed. She looked up and I knew that she could see me. She squirmed in her sleep, but I knew she could not escape. I began my descent down upon her.

Then something strange happened to me as I began to enter her auric field. I began to feel very different. I looked over in her mirror and saw the form of my astral body – that can’t be right! My body was a field of energy, my chakras were geometric mandalas of light. Lines and fields of energy linked and flowed through them, arching and spiraling. I tried to change back but I couldn’t. I tried to stop my descent to her but I couldn’t. And then a ray of pure brilliance entered my crown chakra, streamed down through my Body of Light and out through my base chakra. I descended towards her, a vertical geometric Vajra of magnetic light.

I looked at her, lying flat on her back beneath me, her Body of Light looked as mine, except instead of a line of energy, a giant black whirlpool had formed over her base chakra. I panicked, not being in control, this should NOT be happening … actually, what IS happening? My Body of Light assumed the lotus position hovering above her and the stream of light pouring out beneath me entered her whirlpool.

. I looked at her and all of a sudden was struck by her incredible physical beauty. I saw her feet and wanted to touch them. I reached out my hands of light and then I heard a strange, electro-static, tearing and ripping sound and my physical hands pierced through my auric shell and touched her physical feet. I wanted to kiss them and now my head and shoulders and arms, making the same echoing, electro-static noise, pierced through my shell.

I looked at her and saw the shock on her face. The Demon loved that, he laughed and thought, ‘How delightful, imagine what it must be like to know your night Demon is now there physically.’ But then, she laughed too. I began to stroke and kiss her feet and words rushed out of me praising her feet and their beauty, their hills and valleys, the paths they have walked and experiences they had led her to. Then I moved up to her knees worshipping them as well. I moved up to her thighs. My arms turned to writhing pythons which twisted around her thighs and gripped and slid and squeezed them. Other parts of me became snakes and, startled, I realized some of them had begun to enter her.

Now I was starting to think, ‘This is too much, this is too full-on, I can’t do this, it’s too weird.’ But SHE laughed at ME! Then, with a strange compassion for my fear, allowed me to resume my previous form. I moved slowly up her body, worshipping each part of it. I noticed her beautiful olive skin, and although her hair was as dark as the desert night her skin was covered in tiny blonde hairs. I looked closely and saw they were not hairs at all, they were the glistening spear points of millions of tiny angels swarming over the surface of her skin, no, not swarming over her skin, they WERE her skin. Then I lay upon her and suddenly was struck by a brilliant white light, immediately followed by a quick flashing succession of pictures of her face showing all the orgasms she had had with me, passing quicker and quicker until in one giant climax her body writhed, she let out a call in a language I have never heard, her eyes rolled back in her head so only the whites could be seen. Our Bodies of Light were pulsating in a wild chromatic energy field of intersecting lines. And then, like one giant skyrocket going off, it exploded and I was hurled back into my body and bed and woke up with a start, in a hot sweat, panting and …. okay, I’ll admit it … I was a little frightened.

The next night the same thing happened. And the next. She called me and I came. I could not resist it. I willed it not to happen, but still, she called me and I came.

I declared; ‘This will NOT happen!’ with my full magical intent. It didn’t work.

I did the pentagram ritual each night. It didn’t work.

I covered my room with spells, incense, pentagrams, talismans, geomantic figures, herbs, garlic, wolf bane and hyssop. It didn’t work.

I moved my bed into my magic circle and chained myself to my bed with one hundred and eleven silver chains. It didn’t work.

She called me and I came.

I began to feel weak, I began to loose weight. But still she called me and I came. My horns began to shrink back to their normal size, a moon crescent appeared in the furrows upon my brow, and my hands became soft and sensuous.

People began to notice.

“Gosh, you’re looking great lately. Lost a bit of weight too?” they would say. It made The Demon angry. She called and there was nothing The Demon could do about it. So he eventually gave up. And then, he left me altogether.

I finally confessed to L. what I had done, as for some time we had started seeing each other again on the physical plane.

“I know.” She told me and smiled. Then one day she looked me in the eye and said, “I release you.”

“What if I don’t want to be released?” I asked her.

“Well, that’s up to you now isn’t it?” she replied.

Now, she calls and I come. I can resist it very easily …. If I want to.

But I don’t want to.

• Like 2

I see the Sun and Moon and as the essential components of the Psyche ; 'Conscience' and 'Unconscious', Mars and Venus are two of the three main psychological 'drives' . With Mercury they triangulate around the Moon and through Mercury is the Moon and Sun conjoined and Mars and Venus regulated.

sunmoonarticle.gif

I'd add something less boring to this thread but I suck at stories and poetry unfortunately. (btw the two above posts were hilarious and awesome respectively)

Yeah, I also see the planets as essential components of the psyche layered with deep meaning on many levels.

But at the same time they have mundane significations in astrology since everything in existence is interlinked on a symbolic level. For example a few random things the Moon rules over are beaches, bathtubs, washing mashines, lakes, gardens and baskets. A few examples of what Mars rules over are scissors, traffic interesections, toilets, iron and sweat glands.

I remember when transiting Neptune was squaring my Mars (in the 4th house) and the transiting Moon joined in to trigger the dynamic. On that day a leak sprang in a pipe leading to my toilet. I tried some amateur DIY on it but the leak was tricky and persistent. It ended up damaging the appartment below me and we had ongoing mold issues in the bathroom (Neptune+4th house = swamp). That was a textbook mundane manifestation of the transit (Neptune, Mars, Moon, 4th house). On a less mundane level though the Neptune/Mars transit which lasted over a year was erroding (Neptune) my drive/ambition (Mars) and I even suffered "hallucinations" for awhile (classic Neptune) while battling ghosts (Mars square Neptune).

While I was having this transit so was Jude Law, the actor, since he has his Mars at the same sign and degree as mine. Funilly enough, at this time he was starring in a West End theatre production in London called "Anna Christie" where he was playing a shipwrecked sailor (classic Neptune/Mars). A big theme in the production is the doom-laden myster and power of the sea itself. (the sea=Neptune)

Edited by HoldorFold
  • Like 1

9. Open your Secret Mouth and let the Song of Madness spill forth from your cursed lips.

10. If all the above steps are performed correctly, your partner will be begging for more. At least they would be, if their mind weren't trapped forever in a pitch-black ocean of everlasting insanity, you STUD!

That reminds me of a bit of Futurama; Fry has a girl robot that is programmed to love him and he has fallen in love with it. But it gets a glitch and it/she keeps batting her eyes and looking at him and saying "I love you" over and over and over again ... but he responds back the same way to her each time. Then

Professor: " Oh, dear. She's stuck in an infinite loop and he's .... .... an idiot. - Well, that's love for you. " :D

• Like 1