soaring crane

Random thought about Dao that can not be spoken

Ah! The attainment of happiness. Who said it? "We never find happiness until we stop looking for it."

Random thoughts oftentimes come fast and furiously.

Yes they do , just call me monkey minded. :)

• Like 1

And yet, here you all are, giving in to the urge to post 'something' in a thread that ostensibly should be about no thing :-)

But how can one talk about no thing?

• Like 1

If the Dao can not be spoken, then, ipso facto, that which can not be spoken must be Dao.

When I gaze at a tree surrounded by sky atop a mountain resting on Earth absorbing and reflecting light traveling from the sun changing its position in the sky minute by minute creating with every movement a new tree, a new mountain, a new earth, a new sky, and all of it at the same moment is tree, all of it is sky, all of it is mountain, all of it is earth, all of it is sun ... and all of it is me, all one; I can't grasp and express the wholeness that I see before me or the connections I feel inside me.

See? And because I can't grasp and can't express:

Dao.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” ― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

• Like 2

There was a young lass from Nantucket....

jump in any time :)

Who flew to the moon in a rocket

;)

A taoist she met there

and before long she could swear

he held secrets aplenty in his pocket.

• Like 1

If the Dao can not be spoken, then, ipso facto, that which can not be spoken must be Dao.

That's a fallacy; you're converting a conditional.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/logic.html#conditional

We aren't arguing, and I'm not trying to pick a fight. Just pointing it out.

"To find ones way in the infinite, one must learn to connect and divide."

• Like 1

That's a fallacy; you're converting a conditional.

http://infidels.org/library/modern/mathew/logic.html#conditional

We aren't arguing, and I'm not trying to pick a fight. Just pointing it out.

"To find ones way in the infinite, one must learn to connect and divide."

well, thank you, I can appreciate the linguistic/rhetorical weakness my initial argument except, it's not an academic exercise. It's not an attempt to formulate an intellectual position or initiate debate. It was something that went through me while in meditation. I would never make a similar ipso facto statement regarding something from the everyday.

Dao.

edit: also -- I'm always so surprised every time this thread pops up. I don't get it, and I'm curious: How did you come across it?

• Like 1

edit: also -- I'm always so surprised every time this thread pops up. I don't get it, and I'm curious: How did you come across it?

Oh, just browsing the forums. My apologies, though. Calling out informal fallacies is somewhat of a reflex of mine, and my previous post had no relevancy to this thread whatsoever; I just couldn't be helped. :)

• Like 1

The tao that can not be spoken of is never mentioned in the ttc.Also it must be a mistranslation because unless there is no mention of the eternal tao in the entire TTC I imagine that Laotzi was speaking of it throughout the book. At the very least, yher very first line of chapter 1 is definitely speaking of it.

In actuality these lines do not mean you can not talk about the eternal tao that is a wide spread mistake obviously, but imply something totally different.

I believe this is more accurate-

The known was formless and perfect
before it was known,
as it is now
Known as Emptiness,
Absolute, Noumenal,
Ever-present,
Its realization is the originator of the arisen
Because it is realized it is not;
it's eternal being

Knowing creates being, being creates knowing; that which is known is eternal, yet not the ever-changing of its face

The ever-changing brings about all that had & will be known

The original originless known, diversified and with that let go of the formless creative living things

Freedom & stillness reveal its way

Racing, fighting, and grasping leave one interacting with the illusions left in its wake

One split into two the moment it emerged, yet they all share the same name

That togetherness is the home of all things

• Like 2