1. 乾: Heaven
2. 坤: Earth
3. 離: Fire
4. 坎: Water
5. 艮: Mountain
6. 澤: Marsh
7. 風: Wind
8. 雷: Thunder

The symbols of this eight sources are needed to be drawn and understand them to know what the Yi JIng(易經) is all about.

• Like 4

The symbols for Yin and Yang are represented by two lines, a sold line for Yang and a broken line for Yin.

________ 陽(Yang)

___ ___ 陰(Yin)

The combination of these two lines can represent the things in the Universe. The Chinese philosophies are evolved around these two symbols. The symbols were used to draw the configuration of the Universe and the geography of China within the Yi Jing.

1.density- down

2.emptiness - up

3. fire -up

4.water - down

5.peak- up

6. valley - down

7. wind- down

8. Sound - up Om -amen

each element has its own conjunction between density and emptiness

1.density- down

2.emptiness - up

3. fire -up

4.water - down

5.peak- up

6. valley - down

7. wind- down

8. Sound - up Om -amen

each element has its own conjunction between density and emptiness

I have a few problems with this ... maybe you could expand a bit where you are coming from.

Tao engenders One
One engenders Two
Two engender Three
Three engender all things

That is where Lao Zi got the idea from, the Yi Jing.

Before we jump the gun, we should investigate each symbol of the trigrams to see why they were drawn that way....!!!

Is there a reason you used Marsh instead of Lake? I've seen translated as both, but Lake more often. How is essence of Marsh or Lake different from Water?

• Like 1

Is there a reason you used Marsh instead of Lake? I've seen translated as both, but Lake more often. How is essence of Marsh or Lake different from Water?

Let's wait until we get to the Marsh symbol. That is why is very important to understand the basic symbols, first, before we going into the heart of the Yi Jing.

• Like 1

The symbols for Yin and Yang are represented by two lines, a sold line for Yang and a broken line for Yin.

________ 陽(Yang)

___ ___ 陰(Yin)

The combination of these two lines can represent the things in the Universe. The Chinese philosophies are evolved around these two symbols. The symbols were used to draw the configuration of the Universe and the geography of China within the Yi Jing.

Basically, observed from Nature, anything that is active, elevated rise, and strong are considered to be in the Yang attribute.

Anything that is still, indented, and soft flaccid are considered to be in the Yin attribute.

The will be more added to the Yin-Yang attributes related to other things as the humans are getting more sophisticated in their lives. For now and simplicity, it is suffice to draw the symbols.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Basically, observed from Nature, anything that is active, rise, and strong are considered to be in the Yang attribute.

Anything that is still, indented, and flaccid are considered to be in the Yin attribute.

The will be more added to the Yin-Yang attributes related to other things as the humans are getting more sophisticated in their lives. For now and simplicity, it is suffice to draw the symbols.

I don't much like your yin definition ... flaccid means to hang limply ... the earth does not hang limply ... it might be soft and receptive ... also indented is a bit strange ... do you mean malleable or something like that?

• Like 2

I don't much like your yin definition ... flaccid means to hang limply ... the earth does not hang limply ... it might be soft and receptive ... also indented is a bit strange ... do you mean malleable or something like that?

At this point in time, we are talking about the two lines, only, and what does each line represent. Again, some of us had introduced to Yi Jing and taken for granted without really knowing the basics. I am trying to bring everybody back to day one. Anyway, It is too soon to talk about receptive before we draw the symbols for the eight trigrams. For the purpose of the lines drown, the broken line is representing something soft. However, "Receptive" applies to Earth when we get to it. It is too soon to go into that now.

Btw, soft is the original meaning, thank you for pointing that out. In using the meaning of "flaccid", it was just a language barrier on my part; I thought I was using a better word for soft. Yes, I would say that "flaccid" still fits into the Yin attribute.

You see it is hard to just use a language translation dictionary without knowing the application of the words. As a matter of fact, I have many encounters arguing with those members who knew some Chinese about the meaning of the characters. They had fell into the same trap as I have with the English words.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

As a jumping-off point, can I say:

• broken lines, unhindered, will sink
  • solid lines, unhindered, will rise

In groups of three lines, all but two of the groups encapsulate a unique dynamic tension, and the science of the Yijing is in the identification and interpretation of this dynamic.

Something like that?

• Like 1

As a jumping-off point, can I say:

• broken lines, unhindered, will sink
  • solid lines, unhindered, will rise

In groups of three lines, all but two of the groups encapsulate a unique dynamic tension, and the science of the Yijing is in the identification and interpretation of this dynamic.

Something like that?

Before I go into the symbol, just for your curiosity, I will jump the gun a little bit.

A broken line represents indentation. .sunken already like a pot hole.

A solid line represents elevation. risen already like a mountain.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

At this point in time, we are talking about the two lines, only, and what does each line represent. Again, some of us had introduced to Yi Jing and taken for granted without really knowing the basics. I am trying to bring everybody back to day one. Anyway, It is too soon to talk about receptive before we draw the symbols for the eight trigrams. For the purpose of the lines drown, the broken line is representing something soft. However, "Receptive" applies to Earth when we get to it. It is too soon to go into that now.

Btw, soft is the original meaning, thank you for pointing that out. In using the meaning of "flaccid", it was just a language barrier on my part; I thought I was use a better word for soft. Yes, I would say that "flaccid" still fits into the Yin attribute.

You see it is hard to just use a language translation dictionary without knowing the application of the words. As a matter of fact, I have many encounters arguing with those members who knew some Chinese about the meaning of the characters. They had fell into the same trap as I have with the English words.

I think soft or yielding is better than flaccid.

• Like 2

is a classical character for Heaven in the Yi Jing. It is the Yangest of the eight trigrams. Thus three solid lines were used to represent its most strongest Yang attribute. It doesn't matter how may lines were used, it will be all solid lines.

天(Heaven)
_______
_______

_______

• Like 1

I think soft or yielding is better than flaccid.

You are absolutely right. Indeed, "soft" is a much better word to use and it will be used for the Yin attribute as we move along.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

is the Yin-est of the eight trigrams. Therefore, three broken lines were used for its soft, passive, yielding, and receptive attributes.

坤, Earth
___ ___
___ ___
___ ___

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

is representing the wet land or marsh. A broken line on top of two solid lines.

澤, Marsh
___ ___
_______
_______

The bottom two solid lines represents the solid ground and higher lands. The broken line on top representing something that is soft like water. Thus we have water flowing on top a soiled surface which symbolized a marsh.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

is representing the wet land or marsh. A broken line on top of two solid lines.

澤, Marsh

___ ___

_______

_______

The bottom two solid lines represents the solid ground and higher lands. The broken line on top representing something that is soft like water. Thus we have water flowing on top a soiled surface which symbolized a marsh.

Now we have got to Dui ...I have always seen this expressed as a mountain lake ... is marsh a better translation ... and why?

BTW it would be helpful to give a transliteration of the names of the trigrams.

Edited by Apech
  • Like 1