寒月 Hanyue

Ten Methods of the Heavenly Dragon

I haven't seen a thread for this book yet, and the search engine didn't find one.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=qHgGkwVJIMkC&printsec=frontcover&dq=ten+heavenly+methods&hl=en&sa=X&ei=E6OvUryGE4OUhQfW0ICABw&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=ten%20heavenly%20methods&f=false

I am actually going through a reformed bibliophile phase at the moment, which means I've cut done and actually didn't read a book for close to 6 months.

I mean, I dipped into textbooks for work and occasionally for study when needed. But in terms of actually reading full chapters or a book cover to cover, nope.

I had been aware of this title for a while, I think Alex sent me an e-mail when he first published it through Line of INtent. Now Singing Dragon have re-released it.

I loved this book. If you are after actual methods, then you will be disappointed. But as a kind of contemporary Iron & Silk travalogue with endearing people and stories, I found its charm hooked me.

It is a small book, and there are insights dotted throughout that many will find of interest. An utterly enjoyable read :D

All the best,

• Like 2

Maybe I should say something about what is in it heh... :D

It's about a guy living in Taiwan who simply feels that there is something more but isn't sure what. Through what the Chinese call yuan fen, he meets people and slowly a new world emerges for him.

A world where he is drawn into learning from an adept, and as it turns out this adept is part of an old esoteric Buddhist order that was heavily influenced by Daoism. The adept also practices bagua. And so the author begins learning bagua and meditation.

The feel of the writing is very calm, open, and funny. It was, as I mentioned, a joy to read. I hope there will be more.

Best,

• Like 4

For those interested, more info and book excerpts here.

http://www.10methods.com/

I have to say they had nothing to do with me getting the book. I got it out of curiosity after knowing about it from the time of its initial release.

Please note that the links to the original publisher 'Line of Intent' are dead. The book has been re-published by Singing Dragon.

Best,

Edited by snowmonki

"Noticed" this book in my local New Age bookstore when visiting the owner to wish him merry christmas

In the 1st chapter the author unintentionally discovers a teahouse and after trying to learn more from the people then has a dream about a mountain ... (yuan fen as was mentioned)

:)

I really think I am going to enjoy this book

_/\_

• Like 1

This was a great read.

I kind of gulped it down first time through, but it's one I'll be reading a few times over.

Thanks, Snowmonki!

• Like 1