Coaster

So it turns out nobody really knows

Then if any had a Qi experience, we would know that intent is not necessary.

But I don't think any would have an experience.

Well, I know they would. Why speak from inexperience?

Some practices engage the intent, some practices don't. One could have success with either style if they practiced a solid system.

I have always been attracted to the more mentally active ones where visualization and or intent is used. Lately though, the last 6-7 years, I mainly practice ones that don't use the mind much at all. I think in this modern age, for me at least, it's so important to simply rest in awareness, not adding, controlling or taking anything away from what is experienced. For me these systems that don't actively engage the mind are proving to be extremely powerful.

Both paths are valid in my opinion.

• Like 2

I'm not looking for a scientific explanation of Qi, an explanation that is verified by the science establishment. I'm looking for an explanation of how Qi cultivation works. Again - no one seems to understand why waving your arms one way works, while waving it another way does not.

I know.

In chi cultivation first comes feeling chi (which for some comes right away), then comes controlling chi (which implies 'with power', which takes some years for people with the right stuff), then comes knowing chi (which takes some decades if one is on the fast path, the path of the Taoist wizard)

A lot of it, I would say, has to do with one's ability to relax, allow things to happen, and maintain attention to those things that happen. When you give attention to energetic responses of chi gung practices, the mental attention to the energy has an effect. It effects the way the body responds to it and this affects both the flow, the feeling of qi, and development and/or release of qi. This is how intent works, in my experience. Realizing the difference that the mind/attention makes on the behaviour and quality of energy is the beginning of understanding how intent works. One generally needs to have this experience before their intent is going to be effective, because they will develop a connection between their mind and qi, much the same as co-ordination is built between mind and body.

When the palms face different areas of the body, this increases the effectiveness of attention because there is an energetic phenomenon happening in that area, making it far easier to use intent to draw, move, smooth, release, or whatever else with the qi.

If someone is tense and not thinking about it, they are not likely to be actively working their qi in the same way. But if they have developed the sort of co-ordination of intent mentioned above, and are able to maintain a good body alignment and emotional equilibrium, especially with an intent focus on the lower dantien, they can practice sort of a "mild form" of chi gung throughout the day which will benefit them with less stress during and after work, more stamina during and after work, more emotional equilibrium, lower blood pressure, stronger immune system, better circulation, healthier joints, and likely more patience resulting in fewer errors.

• Like 1

A comment to the OP. No one knows but someone does. The majority in the "no one knows" do not or never know enough to recognize who was telling the truth.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1