silent thunder

Bias against New Age

I owe a lot to wooly new-agers and back-dated hippies. When I was a kid there was no alternative to the working class lifestyle which surrounded me and everyone I knew was unquestioningly signed up to it. You're at school only as long as necessary before you got a "proper" job. You find a girlfriend, get her pregnant, marry her, watch football and a few years (and marriages) later die of smoke, alcohol & lifestyle induced misuse.

That was it. But I always had a deep feeling that there had to be more to it than that. When I finally drifted into further education (the first in my family) it was an eye-opener. Here were young people (and lecturers) doing things, believing things and discussing stuff I'd never heard of and I wanted to know a lot more.

Nowadays 'alternative' is mainstream - everyone has heard of some kind of stuff, and there's the internet for the curious. Back then it was a mysterious door, opening on a whole new world. Rare books passed from hand-to-hand, small, informal groups meeting in flats.

So, no - give a new-ager a hug. They're courageous in their own way. The young ones get abuse from their trendy "clone" peers. The old ones just get scoffed at. I'd share my muesli bar with any of them, even if "$$alternative-plc.££" is a mass product and not what it used to be.

I also found new age books helped me when I was a teenager. My mother had some and I used to surreptitiously borrow them ...they actually helped me make sense of my experience and realise that there was more to life/myself/reality than met the eye. They opened up my mind and made me realise there was more to life than the the orthodox homogeneous worldview that pervades mainstream society.

Of course, there comes a point (hopefully sooner rather than later) when you realise that those teachings aren't going to get you far in terms of genuine spiritual realisation. New age stuff is generally a very westernised and materialistic spin on ancient perennial philosophy, wrapped up in a way that's designed to hold maximum appeal to the western marketplace. Hence all the focus on manifesting and creating your reality and stuff. Osho capitalised on this with his whole 'zorba the buddha' thing.

Looking back on it now, a lot of it is pretty daft, all these supposedly high-level galactic beings channelling oh-so important information riddled with pseudo-science and bizarre contradictions.

It can be very enticing i guess, if you have a certain mindset...kind of an addictive sport or entertainment. But it's all just spiritual maya. I've known a lot of new age people, many of whom are genuinely lovely people (and some of whom were just nuts) but I don't know if any of them ever advanced much from their pursuit. It's all about the experience, the latest technique or fad, the latest book, or workshop. When one thing fails to deliver everlasting happiness, bliss and abundance as it claimed (and it never does, huh?) it's onto the next thing. It tends to be very extroverting - focusing on angels and ascended masters (and I believe Diana Cooper talks about mermaids and unicorns haha)...whereas genuine spiritual teaching strips all that away and takes you inward to realise the self.

But hey, like I said, it helped me at a certain point in my life and opened me to alternate ways of thinking at a time when I really needed that. It eventually led me to Buddhism, Taoism and Vedanta for which I'm grateful.

Edited by Dreamlight Fugitive
  • Like 5

Looking back on it now, a lot of it is pretty daft, all these supposedly high-level galactic beings channelling oh-so important information riddled with pseudo-science and bizarre contradictions.

Have you ever channelled a high-level galactic being?

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell

I also found .....

This is one of the best comments on the issue I have read :)

PS. who is Dreamlight Fugitive and how does he get to edit your posts?

Ascended Masters ?

Who started this.

If they ascended then why are they here. If they are here, where did they 'ascend' to here from?

I got into a little bitchy fight with one once; he was an Ascended Grand Master (which he informed me meant he was in control of other Ascended Masters ... puuurleeeze!

When it became apparent that his usual stages at attempt to control and manipulate others was not going to get past me ( including a childish tantrum ) it was interesting to then see what course his 'Mastership' took.

One thing that really bugs me about the New Age, if you want to question someone's authorities, or bonafides .... that is sooo uncool man.

• Like 2

Have you ever channelled a high-level galactic being?

Heck no. I'm sure if there are any out there they'd have better things to do than to channel shit at me. ;) I know a woman who is into all that kind of stuff. She believes it's been adversely affecting her health so she's had to tell the high level galactic beings to leave her alone.

(not making that up btw. you couldn't, right? :))

This is one of the best comments on the issue I have read :)

PS. who is Dreamlight Fugitive and how does he get to edit your posts?

Thanks.

Dreamlight Fugitive is me in another incarnation. I just changed my username ;)

Heck no. I'm sure if there are any out there they'd have better things to do than to channel shit at me.

No doubt you are correct.

They would find a suitable vessel.

Only certain people are suited for the incarnation of a higher level spiritual emanation.

Emanationism be not risible!

Now the Spirit cometh visible!

Don't worry, I'm just making this up.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 1

Captain Marvel !!! You haven't been just making up stuff as you go along have you ?

How very new-Age of you ;)

I know ... I know ....

thats why some New Agers give me shivers up me backbone .... urrrk !

t6.jpg

... now, remind me, what's the name of that Buddha who dispels ignorant and false teachers/teachings?

• Like 2

Nah! I would not give her their blood to drink :D

Ha! I just came up with a new insult; "I would not give Kali your blood to drink! ( followed by evil bad kung fu movie laugh)

• Like 2