Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

Can anyone recommend good Tai Chi DVDs?

I was wondering if anyone in this forum could point me in the direction of good DVDs on Tai Chi.

If you are new to Tai Chi and want to learn from a video, I'd suggest "Tai Chi for Busy People" by Keith Jeffery. Nicely filmed and explained.

He doesn't teach a classical form. He teaches 9 movements, one at a time. After you learn all of the movements, he combines them all into a 5 minute routine.

It's great for beginners and quick to learn the basics. Highly recommended for your situation.

If you try to learn an entire form from video, you'll be wasting a lot of time on choreography rather than movement. Since you won't be getting feedback from an instructor, you'll have to be your own instructor. You'll need to get your awareness into your body and into the movement. That's why simple is best.

I'd also recommend Dr. Paul Lam's vids/DVDs. He's developed a number of short forms that are quick and easy to learn for beginners and the instruction is excellent. He also has a few competition forms on DVD. Available from Amazon and places like that or from his website at www.taichiproductions.com.

I forgot about Paul Lam, he is good and a few of his videos are with Peter Wu from Melbourne who is really good also.

If you are new to Tai Chi and want to learn from a video, I'd suggest "Tai Chi for Busy People" by Keith Jeffery. Nicely filmed and explained.

He doesn't teach a classical form. He teaches 9 movements, one at a time. After you learn all of the movements, he combines them all into a 5 minute routine.

It's great for beginners and quick to learn the basics. Highly recommended for your situation.

If you try to learn an entire form from video, you'll be wasting a lot of time on choreography rather than movement. Since you won't be getting feedback from an instructor, you'll have to be your own instructor. You'll need to get your awareness into your body and into the movement. That's why simple is best.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation. I just got the videotape from my local library, and it's much easier to follow than the other two DVDs that I own.

I was impressed with Master Chen's website so I had my medical clairvoyant test his Shen Gong dvd against a few qigong dvds from other masters. Chen's dvd was not that effective according to the testing. And before that I wanted to learn the 5 Animal Form from Master Bing so I had that dvd tested and the results came back that it was to be avoided since the clairvoyant saw it would produce some kind of black spot of energy in the brain which he could determine what it was, just that it was not good. Granted this testing is only for the effects each of those dvds would have had on me, not necessarily other people.

Edited by tao stillness

I was wondering if anyone in this forum could point me in the direction of good DVDs on Tai Chi. I live out in Colorado Springs, so there aren't many Tai Chi teachers around here. Is Terence Dunn a good resource?

My friend and practice partner for more than a decade has moved to the area. He teaches temple style tai chi. PM me if you want to get his contact info

I can recommend:

- Traditional Sun style Taijiquan - 5 DVD set by Tim Cartmell (Sun style long form)

- Tai Chi Mastery Program - 50 DVD set by Bruce Kumar Frantzis (Wu style short form)

Don't waste your money on videos. It has to be felt for true skill to be passed on.

This guy is near you and teaches the Fu Zhensong neijia and waijia arts, I can't say how good he is but he has good teachers.

http://www.thekungfuacademy.org/

This guy is from a rather legit Yang lineage as well.

http://taichicoloradosprings.com/

If you're willing to get a few hours out of town you can check out Susan Matthews in Durango or some great people up in Boulder.

Sign in to follow this