Sign in to follow this  
wu_wei

Questions...

Hello to all, this is my first post. Brief background, I'm not knew to Taoist practice or philosophy, but I've never made a serious attempt at it... I recently started intense martial arts training and have come to realize the time is right. I've started researching and have come up with some basic information but would appreciate any info fill-ins and tips...

Here is what I'm starting with:

1) Full Lotus is best for mediation (building qi in dantien), but I'm unable to get in this position (barely able to get in half lotus)... What is the best way to work towards this? Are there any specific techniques/ stretches?

2) I've started meditating outside so as to absorb yin energy from the Earth... Currently I'm focusing on my Dantien.... I've read discussions concerning focusing on emptiness... is emptiness focusing better than dantien focusing for qi building.... I'm trying to work through the first two or three levels of JC's approach... I've only read part of one of his books..

3) Are there any books, movies, informational sites that are very comprehensive in helping me understand the essentials (other than this site) ?

That's it for now. I would really appreciate any tips and info. Thanks!

One other thing... I know that sitting in full lotus on Earth helps one absorb yin qi, but how do i get yang...? Am I correct in thinking that it is yang that I should first fill the lower dantien with?

Hi wu_wei and welcome to the Tao Bums.

The full lotus is considered by many to be best for meditation. It can however take some time to train the body to get into it. It can then take far longer to reach the point where you are comfortable sitting. If you are uncomfortable you are going to have some real problems in reaching a meditative state.

There are many benefits to meditating in the open air but again it is not strictly necessary to do so to absorbe yin energy.

As to your other questions the answers would depend on whom you ask and the best advise I could offer would be to find a teacher who could guide you on your first steps along the path.

Take care,

Chang

You want Yang,

you can't handle Yang.

One other thing... I know that sitting in full lotus on Earth helps one absorb yin qi, but how do i get yang...?

Just kidding. One Yangy practice I do is standing meditation, Zhan Zhuang. I 'juice' it up by doing it to Rawn Clark's Archaeous program which is a hermetic based element practice. MP3's lessons are free at abardoncompanion.com.

two of the major benefits of sitting full-lotus is that the soles of the feet are pointing upwards, and the area from your navel to mid inner-thighs gets a good stretching which helps circulation around dantien. Another way to achieve these is simply using a high cushion and sitting in half-lotus with the weight distributed to your knees and butt.

Using the zen circle mudra in front of the dantien helps to keep the energy focus there during emptiness meditation. If you're building qi for internal power, emptiness meditation would help with absorption, and to keep balance by transformation of jing chi and shen. If your aiming for internal power, a qualified teacher is even more recommended.

I don't know anything really about Mopai, other than what I have heard frequently around here that it is comparatively more prone to going very wrong when done incorrectly.. More Pie Guy seems to have been following that school independently for a while though and might have some resources or tips on acquiring them

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

Sign in to follow this