林愛偉

Contraction Exercise

Greetings All!

I usually share this with personal students who contact me on occasion for cultivation practice. Recently there has been much on this forum requesting someone to post some sort of practice that we can all benefit from, instead of vague examples. So I hope this may be useful for many.

The exercise was taught to me by Sifu Roosevelt Gainey back in 2002. I have been keeping this practice regularly since then.

This exercise, in the beginning, is a good "charger" for the body, energy and mind. It brings a variety of health benefits if done carefully and correctly. As one goes deeper with it, the practice changes and the intent/will is augmented to go further into energy cultivation,"spiritual" awareness and non-discriminate mind. That is when the true fun begins.

***Thus, because this is only the basic beginnings, I have left out the commentary on what happens later on. When those levels are reached, then its necessary to discuss the finer points. No worries though, this instruction is exactly what is needed for this practice, and nothing important was left out for this stage..perhaps for some fine details, but you will not hurt yourself if you take things slow, since no one is there personally to check your postures and offer guidance in this method.

I am posting only the first posture, and beginning level of this practice for those interested, and those who may be looking to spice up their practice...perhaps.

There is a lot more to this than what is presented, and please understand that it is only presented in its basic form due to it being posted on a public forum. There will be questions and comments, which are welcome, and there may even be oppositions to it. Understand that this is only a small, very small, explanation, and the practice goes far deeper than what is written in the first posture/commentary of instructions.

I have been practicing this method for the last 11yrs, and personally, it is one of my jewels of cultivation. I hope that some may take interest in this, perhaps as I did, and utilize it for the betterment of themselves, family and society. Please keep an open mind and if it is something you are not interested in, please refrain from badgering it on this thread. I am more than happy to receive PMs about anyone's concerns, or even oppositions to this. If there is opposition, please start another thread directed to me and this exercise, and we can discuss it openly there.

Be well! Peace and Blessings: Lin Ai Wei

Here is the exercise:

Dragon Palm Contraction

Stage 1 Basic Compressions

General standing instructions:

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Pelvis slightly tucked forward, tailbone pulling down and pressing slightly forward. Neck pressed back, chin slightly pulled down and head pulling up from the very top of the head (crown). Feet should be: pressing slightly on the ground with equal pressure throughout the foot. Toes should be slightly gripping the floor and spread (opened slightly) causing the bones on the top of the foot to spread open.

*** Keep the anal lock (light contraction of the anal muscles) throughout the exercise, along with the tongue to the roof of the mouth. Very important.

Stand with knees slightly bent.

First posture:

Lift your hands up in front of you, palms pointing down to the ground. Lift the hands up to the collar bone level, and roll them down, slightly pressing down, softly to the abdomen / belly button level. While doing this you are inhaling. Hands should be: fingers slightly spread, and rounded as though holding a ball, which means the fingers should be slightly curved causing the bones in the back of the hand to spread.

Application:

Once you have reached your position: slowly exhale and lightly contract your muscles from your feet all the way up to your shoulders and arms. Contract all the muscles in between your feet and shoulders, including your feet and shoulders. This contraction is a gradual one. DO NOT CONTRACT THE FACE AND NECK MUSCLES!!!

Once you have completely contracted the muscles, slowly release the contraction and slowly inhale, feeling your body releasing the contraction and feeling relaxed.

Upon full inhalation and completely releasing of the contraction, begin the contraction again as directed above. Remember to exhale slowly with the gradual contraction and inhale slowly on the gradual release.

The first week, do 30 contractions, twice a day, morning and evening (at least an hour before gong to bed.) Week 2, 60 contractions, morning and evening.. Week 3, 90 contractions morning and night. Week4, 100 contractions morning and evening.

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 4

Greetings All!

I usually share this with personal students who contact me on occasion for cultivation practice. Recently there has been much on this forum requesting someone to post some sort of practice that we can all benefit from, instead of vague examples. So I hope this may be useful for many.

The exercise was taught to me by Sifu Roosevelt Gainey back in 2002. I have been keeping this practice regularly since then.

This exercise, in the beginning, is a good "charger" for the body, energy and mind. It brings a variety of health benefits if done carefully and correctly. As one goes deeper with it, the practice changes and the intent/will is augmented to go further into energy cultivation,"spiritual" awareness and non-discriminate mind. That is when the true fun begins.

***Thus, because this is only the basic beginnings, I have left out the commentary on what happens later on. When those levels are reached, then its necessary to discuss the finer points. No worries though, this instruction is exactly what is needed for this practice, and nothing important was left out for this stage..perhaps for some fine details, but you will not hurt yourself if you take things slow, since no one is there personally to check your postures and offer guidance in this method.

I am posting only the first posture, and beginning level of this practice for those interested, and those who may be looking to spice up their practice...perhaps.

There is a lot more to this than what is presented, and please understand that it is only presented in its basic form due to it being posted on a public forum. There will be questions and comments, which are welcome, and there may even be oppositions to it. Understand that this is only a small, very small, explanation, and the practice goes far deeper than what is written in the first posture/commentary of instructions.

I have been practicing this method for the last 11yrs, and personally, it is one of my jewels of cultivation. I hope that some may take interest in this, perhaps as I did, and utilize it for the betterment of themselves, family and society. Please keep an open mind and if it is something you are not interested in, please refrain from badgering it on this thread. I am more than happy to receive PMs about anyone's concerns, or even oppositions to this. If there is opposition, please start another thread directed to me and this exercise, and we can discuss it openly there.

Be well! Peace and Blessings: Lin Ai Wei

Here is the exercise:

Dragon Palm Contraction

Stage 1 Basic Compressions

General standing instructions:

Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Pelvis slightly tucked forward, tailbone pulling down and pressing slightly forward. Neck pressed back, chin slightly pulled down and head pulling up from the very top of the head (crown). Feet should be: pressing slightly on the ground with equal pressure throughout the foot. Toes should be slightly gripping the floor and spread (opened slightly) causing the bones on the top of the foot to spread open.

Stand with knees slightly bent.

First posture:

Lift your hands up in front of you, palms pointing down to the ground. Lift the hands up to the collar bone level, and roll them down, slightly pressing down, softly to the abdomen / belly button level. While doing this you are inhaling. Hands should be: fingers slightly spread, and rounded as though holding a ball, which means the fingers should be slightly curved causing the bones in the back of the hand to spread.

Application:

Once you have reached your position: slowly exhale and lightly contract your muscles from your feet all the way up to your shoulders and arms. Contract all the muscles in between your feet and shoulders, including your feet and shoulders. This contraction is a gradual one. DO NOT CONTRACT THE FACE AND NECK MUSCLES!!!

Once you have completely contracted the muscles, slowly release the contraction and slowly inhale, feeling your body releasing the contraction and feeling relaxed.

Upon full inhalation and completely releasing of the contraction, begin the contraction again as directed above. Remember to exhale slowly with the gradual contraction and inhale slowly on the gradual release.

The first week, do 30 contractions, twice a day, morning and evening (at least an hour before gong to bed.) Week 2, 60 contractions, morning and evening.. Week 3, 90 contractions morning and night. Week4, 100 contractions morning and evening.

how about a video

Very good. I like it.

I do something similar with reverse breathing. I just tried this method. It seemed to be a good match to do one after another.

Stand in regular ZZ stance.

breath in slowly. Contract lower ab. Now the important part (at least for me), suck in with your anus. You can use any intention/tactile/imagination tool you like. I tend to pretend to suck every inch of my outside skin inside via my anus. So I feel the Qi across my whole body on the surface.

Then suddenly I release the tention and exhale. I relax my whole body and let go a bit to alllow the Qi flow.

• Like 1

how about a video

Slowly contract every muscle in your body during slow exhale.

Relax every muscle in your body during slow inhale.

I don't think a video can show that.

Another method.

Slowly contract every muscle in your body during slow INHALE (reverse breathing).

Suddenly Relax every muscle in your body during EXHALE.

You can experiment with different body posture, hand murdras and mantras. You'll find the best combo for you. There isn't fixed formula.

• Like 1

I would prefer this method as the proper way for both normal and reverse breathing. It is because that is the most effective way to utilize the body energy.

suck in with your anus.

I think this is called the "anal lock".

Edited by ChiDragon

how about a video

I recorded one, but having a hard time converting it.

Very good. I like it.

I do something similar with reverse breathing. I just tried this method. It seemed to be a good match to do one after another.

Stand in regular ZZ stance.

breath in slowly. Contract lower ab. Now the important part (at least for me), suck in with your anus. You can use any intention/tactile/imagination tool you like. I tend to pretend to suck every inch of my outside skin inside via my anus. So I feel the Qi across my whole body on the surface.

Then suddenly I release the tention and exhale. I relax my whole body and let go a bit to alllow the Qi flow.

Very cool. slow and steady...

I don't think a video can show that.

Another method.

Slowly contract every muscle in your body during slow INHALE (reverse breathing).

Suddenly Relax every muscle in your body during EXHALE.

You can experiment with different body posture, hand murdras and mantras. You'll find the best combo for you. There isn't fixed formula.

Good advice. Everything should be done slowly. Fast will cause problems.

I would prefer this method as the proper way for both normal and reverse breathing. It is because that is the most effective way to utilize the body energy.

I think this is called the "anal lock".

Slow is important. Contraction exercises shouldn't be done fast unless its for issuing force. Then the contraction is quick. On a deeper level, the contraction is with the mind, and follows the thought.

I see I forgot to add in: Apply the anal lock, and keep tongue to the roof of the mouth. :-)

Also tip of the tongue slightly touching the roof of the mouth connecting ascending and descending channel. Inhale contract, swallow energy, exhale expand emit energy. I find exhale with contraction is not effective.

The proper compression including lifting the perineum floor during inhale tonifies area and massages the internal organs. Inhale contracting and lifting energy up the spine. Exhale expand and descend (or pressing down)energy to lower tan dian. This is a powerful practice for cultivation.

Inhale to lift hands exhale to press hands down I don't understand why lifting and then pressing down one would only be inhaling. In my system the instructions given are incorrect. For proper body mechanics and using breath / energy as an efficient hydraulic system the movement corresponds the whole way thru as Inhale, lift or pullback, contract,rising, fire all corresponding. Exhale, expand, press down or forward,water, sinking and so on.

When we stand up we inhale when we sit down we exhale yes it can be done the other way but is not natural.

Edited by Wu Ming Jen

Slow is important. Contraction exercises shouldn't be done fast unless its for issuing force. Then the contraction is quick. On a deeper level, the contraction is with the mind, and follows the thought.

It is a known fact to all knowledgeable Tai Ji practitioners.

Edited by ChiDragon

Also tip of the tongue slightly touching the roof of the mouth connecting ascending and descending channel. Inhale contract, swallow energy, exhale expand emit energy. I find exhale with contraction is not effective.

The proper compression including lifting the perineum floor during inhale tonifies area and massages the internal organs. Inhale contracting and lifting energy up the spine. Exhale expand and descend (or pressing down)energy to lower tan dian. This is a powerful practice for cultivation.

Inhale to lift hands exhale to press hands down I don't understand why lifting and then pressing down one would only be inhaling. In my system the instructions given are incorrect. For proper body mechanics and using breath / energy as an efficient hydraulic system the movement corresponds the whole way thru as Inhale, lift or pullback, contract,rising, fire all corresponding. Exhale, expand, press down or forward,water, sinking and so on.

When we stand up we inhale when we sit down we exhale yes it can be done the other way but is not natural.

On the contrary, exhaling and contracting is quite an intense exercise. Inhaling and contracting is also very deep. Both offer two specific mannerisms of cultivation.

Inhaling is the transition. Exhaling is the stationary posture. One wouldn't want to contract while moving. This will cause damage to the body. Standing or sitting is transitional. The manner of this practice I post has nothing to do with sitting, and everything to do while standing. Natural or not is not a worry. As long as there is breath, it is natural.

:-)

It is a known fact to all knowledgeable Tai Ji practitioners.

Then I do assume the majority of "knowledgable Taiji Quan practitioners" are few and far between. Even if it is "known", I have not seen one person display, or even consider such a practice in their Taiji Quan.

Thus, you would be the first person I have met who would. :-)

Not to mention the fact that I wasn't talking about Taiji Quan in my original post, nor was I posting it for those who have been well along in their cultivation. Given someone was well along in their cultivation, they would understand that basic practice is exactly that...basic.

Edited by 林愛偉

Want me to upload the video, Lin?

Ahh that's why when I was doing the exercise today I didn't get a good result. I'll try slower next time ;)

I will try to upload and email you the vid.

Very good details.

Yes. I agree the inhale contract is easier. I seem to be able to utilize my muscle to help. I believe it's one of the iron shirt training methods.

The exhale contract seems to be done mostly by intention. It needs better concentration and relaxation balance. It's a good tool to train my mind, which I need for meditation.

It very doesn't matter much. The important is to do something useful regularly and enjoy the process. For we all know there is no judge at the end of this journey, only our own memory and assessment.

Edited by hydrogen

Then I do assume the majority of "knowledgable Taiji Quan practitioners" are few and far between. Even if it is "known", I have not seen one person display, or even consider such a practice in their Taiji Quan.

Thus, you would be the first person I have met who would. :-)

Not to mention the fact that I wasn't talking about Taiji Quan in my original post, nor was I posting it for those who have been well along in their cultivation. Given someone was well along in their cultivation, they would understand that basic practice is exactly that...basic.

Well, you did mention on a "deeper level" of intuition.... :)

林愛偉, on 09 May 2013 - 16:56, said:snapback.png

Yes, "follows the thought" is the yi(意) which is the intent of the mind.

Edited by ChiDragon

Namo, The movement of your exercise is the beginning in most forms, that's not sitting. Contraction compression is storing or moving inward, redirecting, pull or lift to move something that has weight and force.

Squat down inhale and rise, then do the opposite breath, it takes more effort to exhale while rising.. I'm not judging or have any agenda Just some points for energy work things should not get confused.

.If you exhale and contract you are using the force against your own physical body.Energy work and martial application relies on what is natural with out too much thought /effort and having maximum force.

If something is rising naturally and you force it down it is causing stress. You can do what you want but after trying your method I would not suggest it. On a physical level the mussels are being contracted with to much yang force with exhale and is opposite of what is natural..What is natural is not contrived by mind. there are too many technical errors in the method to ignore, sorry I am a professional in this matter.

Maybe something to mention is the internal and external movement is in harmony so to lift out side force ( rising energy) one uses inhale compression.strength To press down exhale (sinking energy) strength.If there is and upward movement there is also a downward movement. Same with all directions being matched and balanced. yin and yang must be clearly defined and not confused.

Edited by Wu Ming Jen

internal and external movement is in harmony

Applying the concept of Yin-yang. Considering the two types of motions: breathing and muscle movements

Yin vs Yang:

Internal vs Eternal

--------------------------------------------------

Breathing vs Muscle movements

Inhale(Yang) vs Relax(Yin)

Exhale(Yin) vs Contract(Yang)

Internal and external movements are in harmony

1. Internal inhalation(Yang) vs external muscle relaxation(Yin).

2. Internal exhalation(Yin) vs external muscle contraction(Yang).

The pattern of Yin-Yang must be seen within the system, in order, to be considered the system is in harmony.

Internal and external movements are not in harmony

1. Internal inhalation(Yang) vs external muscle contraction(Yang).

2. Internal exhalation(Yin) vs external muscle relaxation(Yin).

The pattern of Yin-Yang are not seen within the system. The Yang-Yang and Yin-Yin are repelling each other; therefore, the systems were considered to be not in harmony.

This is the deeper level of understanding about the Concept of Yin-Yang. That is how Tai Ji Chuan was developed by utilized the concept.

There is a saying by the Tai Ji practitioners:

靜如山(Still like a mountain);

動如海(Moving like an ocean);

Still is Yin

Moving is Yang

This is a good example to show how the Concept of Yin-Yang was applied in a combat situation. Yin defeats the Yang.

Scenario #1 for Tai Ji practitioner.

While one is standing still(Yin) and the opponent is moving(Yang), thus one is in the Yin state reserving the energy while the opponent is wasting energy by moving which is in the Yang state. As soon they make contact, one will move swiftly as the raging waves of the ocean with all the reserved energy. The Yin state became the Yang state. While the Yang state of the opponent became the Yin state due to the loss of energy from moving, here we are again, the Concept or Yin-yang was in effect. This gives a less chance for the opponent to succeed.

Scenario #2 for Kung Fu practitioner.

One might have noticed that, when tow kung fu fighters they are moving and jumping around before an attack. Both opponents had put themselves in a Yang state at the beginning. Thus by the time they make contact; they had already put themselves in the Yin state due to the waste of energy with a bad start. Hence, the Concept of Yin-Yang did not apply, here, which gives a less chance for both opponents to succeed.

Edited by ChiDragon

chidragon, why don't you try the exercise instead of theorizing the yin-yang thing.

I don't know about others. But I like to read movie reviews from those who have actually seen the movie.

Edited by hydrogen

I'm working on it. But the thing is that this exercise definitely takes time to fully control. The contraction part is hard to do from all over the body.

breath slowly to give yourself time.

I started doing section of body only. Front torso, back torso, whole torso, then torso+arms, then torso+arms+legs. I'm still working on my legs.

• Like 2

I'm working on it. But the thing is that this exercise definitely takes time to fully control. The contraction part is hard to do from all over the body.

hence why I only gave the first posture.

Take it slow on trying to feel the contractions. From the toes to the shoulders, but not he neck, face and head.

This is much easier than trying to go into the much deeper aspects of the body physically and energetically.

So first focus on how to flex the body at the tangible level. Its not till much much later that we get to specifics energetically and energetically.

breath slowly to give yourself time.

I started doing section of body only. Front torso, back torso, whole torso, then torso+arms, then torso+arms+legs. I'm still working on my legs.

:-) Good practice. Don't forget to keep the anal lock and tongue to the roof of the mouth.

chidragon, why don't you try the exercise instead of theorizing the yin-yang thing.

I don't know about others. But I like to read movie reviews from those who have actually seen the movie.

The yin-yang thing is the theory from the intuition from the exercise of the masters. Without any intuition from the practice, there is no chance for advancement of comprehension. The movies are just for looks to capture the audiences. There maybe just a little theory to catch. The Concept of Yin-Yang is really for those who are dedicated to the practice of Tai Ji. I don't think it was for a novice. When someone reach to a deeper level will realize that is the theory behind the art.

BTW Thank you for your advice. What I will do is to exercise in lieu with the concept in mind.

• Like 2

Here is one for fun. Bow and arrow stance, weight on front leg, INHALE move backwards (switching weight to back leg), at same time (contract compress) clench fist (drawing fist to the waist) clench teeth together close eyes. Then move forward EXHALE (switching weight to front leg), all at the same time release teeth, open fist (bringing hands out from waist), open eyes.

Inhale is closing moving back, gathering compressing like pushing down a spring. Exhale is open, advance, releasing the force of the spring, This is basic open close movements. In this exercise tense the muscles on inhale and release on exhale.

The way force is issued in Tai Chi Chuan is to throw all the joints open (not contracting the muscles as in some styles) The muscles do not need to be tence to to properly compress the "internal spring" this is just an exercise to get a feel of it and the release is very powerful.

• Like 1

Many thanks to Lin for sending me the video.

It's more fun to add movement with the contraction.

The Contraction Inhale Method The Contraction Exhale Method

Inhale yan intent (contraction) and yin action (pull in) yin intent (relax) and yin action (pull in)

Exhale yin intent (relax) and yan action (push out) yan intent (contraction) and yan action (push out)

I guess different application requires different method. It's fun to practice both.

Many thanks to Lin for sending me the video.

It's more fun to add movement with the contraction.

The Contraction Inhale Method The Contraction Exhale Method

Inhale yan intent (contraction) and yin action (pull in) yin intent (relax) and yin action (pull in)

Exhale yin intent (relax) and yan action (push out) yan intent (contraction) and yan action (push out)

I guess different application requires different method. It's fun to practice both.

What is with the yin-yang thing now...???.... :D

Just breathe and move naturally without any intentions. Things will occur spontaneously. Tai Ji is a good example of the contraction exercise. All beginners were instructed to relax all the muscles but just going through the movements. Then, the contraction and the breathing follow each other without realizing that all of these were happening inside the body.

Edited by ChiDragon

What is with the yin-yang thing now...???.... :D

Window dressing. So people would assume I knew what I was talking about. :)