john23

qigong for kidney yang deficiency ?

^ Well sure, if there's a relative imbalance - it could be caused by a liver excess and/or kidney deficiency.

Ultimately, everything should also be at an absolute normal baseline, not just relatively balanced with each other. This is why TCM goes into further depth and measures imbalances from their deviation from a healthy normalized baseline - not just in relation to each other. So, you have specific diagnoses of yin or yang excess and yin or yang deficiencies...

What's the difference between kidney yin & yang deficiencies?

Since we know something about the yin and the yang, here is one way to interpret what is kidney yin & yang deficiencies.

Each organ has its characteristic or function, in general, they are referred as "Chi". When the kidney is in the ultimate state, it was said to be it is in the extreme Yang state. The kidney must be maintained in a state of balance. In the initial state of the kidney, the Yang Chi is in the fullest state. When the kidney starts to provide some Yang Chi for the liver, at the moment, the Yin Chi state becomes active and comes into the picture. At the point, when the Yang Chi and Yin Chi are 50/50, it was said to be that the two chi are in balance. However, when the Yang Chi becomes less than 50%, then, there is more Yin Chi than Yang Chi. Hence, it was considered to be that the kidney is Yang deficiency.

In other words, knowingly, that the liver chi must be maintained in the 50/50 balance state. If the Yin chi is too high, then, it was considered to be "Yang deficiency". Hence, the kidney must provide more Yang chi for the liver to offset the Yin Chi. Furthermore, for the confusion, when the liver Yin Chi is less than 50%, it was said to be that the liver is Yin deficiency or the Yang Chi is too high. Therefore, some of the Yang Chi has to be withdrawn to offset the Yin Chi deficiency and put the liver back into balance again.

PS.....

This is the scenario for explaining how the concept of yin-yang was applied in the TCM.

Edited by ChiDragon

Kidneys essence is jing. It is weakened during life. Illnesses, stress, excessive sex or masturbation, alcohol... Chikung (neikung)

should help def. But I suppose chikung nourishes postnatal chi and neikung (neidan) does prenatal.

Any medicine nourishes only postnatal. When you finish taking it weakness can come back if one does not change life habits.

By definition, kidney yang deficiency means that the kidney need to take some supplements which it is lack of. Therefore, I don't think Chi Kung or acupuncture will help.

Hey there!

Perhaps:

abdominal expansion, which includes the lower back expanding as well. Upon inhalation use the diaphragm to apply pressure to the abdomen, and as the abdomen expands, expand your lower back as though it is protruding out like the belly on inhalation. Do not use excessive force, just let it happen with the pressure applied from the diaphragm.

Do this for about 2 minutes. Then, hod the breath for 3 secs, slowly exhale, and perform it again for 2 minutes. Repeat the whole process for 10 minutes. Then rest for 5mins, and then continue for another 10 minutes the same way as before. Then go about your day.

Do it 3 times a day, for as long as you feel its necessary. Remember to keep your tongue to the roof of your mouth, and slightly contracct the anal muscles...slightly. Standing or sitting is fine, but lying down is good too. hahaha Lying down, you can feel if your lower back is expanding or not on the breath.

"Too many people practice T'achi Ch'uan with the idea that breathing low in abdomen will somehow produce chi. The practitioner might gain a little benefit from this, but will certainly not achieve what is called "bright chi", more likely a negative chi called "scorching heat" " Stuart Alve Olson "Cultivating the Ch'i"

"Too many people practice T'achi Ch'uan with the idea that breathing low in abdomen will somehow produce chi. The practitioner might gain a little benefit from this, but will certainly not achieve what is called "bright chi", more likely a negative chi called "scorching heat" " Stuart Alve Olson "Cultivating the Ch'i"

:)

Excuse me? Taiji Quan? Produce Qi? who said anything about Taiji Quan, and producing Qi? it can't be "produced" first of all, only directed, cultivated.

Second of all, has anyone any clue as to the function of the exercise I posted?

For your information, I gave this exercise to patients on kidney dialysis. They actually did the practice, which entailed a more deeper instruction. Guess what, they didn't need the dialysis , no medicine's after. I guess it was imagined and the lower back/abdominal breathing didn't work.

Also, I have given Taiji Quan practice to be used for various conditions as well...I guess the people imagined their health getting better.

Also, its not just breathing into that area, there is more of a mechanism at work here. That is why I ask if anyone has any idea as to the function of the exercise I posted. If anyone did, perhaps they would be practicing it, but since not at all, oh well. :)

Nothing special about the book you referred to. If I relied on books for my information, I would have been dead a while ago.

But what is the benefit of this breath? I have done it for few months at least every day and I can not say I have benefited much.

I do not have any serious health issue but I think I have yang def. kidney too. I am reading Olson's book as I consider to buy his DVD on Taichi Chikung for cultivating chi. As I started taichi practice. But I consider the DVD just have been mentioned above Kidney Breathing as it might be more directed to the kidney jing cultivation.

I think Olson points out the prenatal and postnatal chi issue. Breath is assoc. with postnatal chi. It can give just temporary relief and yes it can cure some diseases and it can be helpful but I personally prefer more traditional authentic methods of cultivation. Which health treatment is side effect but not the goal. All this is up to you what you looking for

But what is the benefit of this breath? I have done it for few months at least every day and I can not say I have benefited much.

I do not have any serious health issue but I think I have yang def. kidney too. I am reading Olson's book as I consider to buy his DVD on Taichi Chikung for cultivating chi. As I started taichi practice. But I consider the DVD just have been mentioned above Kidney Breathing as it might be more directed to the kidney jing cultivation.

I think Olson points out the prenatal and postnatal chi issue. Breath is assoc. with postnatal chi. It can give just temporary relief and yes it can cure some diseases and it can be helpful but I personally prefer more traditional authentic methods of cultivation. Which health treatment is side effect but not the goal. All this is up to you what you looking for

Perhaps its how the method is taught. When I learned it, back 13yrs ago, there was much in depth core methods attached to it. The basic postural, structural and application of concentration brings basic states and results of peace, warmth, energy, bright eyes, and a clearer complexion, with health benefits ranging from low level results to mid level results if praticed half heartedly. It can go deeper with long term results and lasting results if it is practiced as required to change one's health.

If its practiced to the requirements, then it is profound , if it is just practiced here and there, even every day, but not going further than the above mentioned postural, structural practice, then not much would be gained.

. The other part of the practice allows for a much more exchange, and refinement, so to say. Nourishing the kidney essence, revitalizing the other organs. Then it should go much deeper to start moving that refined energy throughout the body through will and intent, thus bringing it to the places needed in order to make the exercise fitting for further cultivation.It can go much deeper than what the surface presents. :)

***Added:

The breath energize the body, we all know that. The application of this breath in this exercise, being that its the pressure from the breath, as well as the energy of the breath taken in, removes damp heat around the organs, focusing correctly it can get to the core of th eorgans and revitalize them from the inside out. In truth, it takes a lot of work, so please don't think I am making this easier than it is.

Its not much the breath that is important, as it is what the breath carries that is. With concentration, we are trying to utilize that spark of energy within the breath, direct it to where we find it counts. Non-discriminating mind, sincere application of concentration, is needed to really go forward.

Almost everyone I have met has had kidney energy deficiency in one way or another. When I was given food with spice, hot and spicy, it messed me up for a long while. Coupled with constant stress from running my own school, people trying to kill me, and ruin my work, along with teaching, lecturing, and community service..hahaha I taxed myself with very little time to practice resulting in kidney yin deficiency to a point of not able to stand up and work. HAHAHA But at the first sign of free time, I practiced and got things to a working state with qigong and herbs. The last 2 yrs have been great, more practice, things changed, and health restored. Herbal medicine, and Qigong practice, both together make a world of a difference.

If herbal medicine is taken only, it will restore things to its physical capacity, and the sickness will not return, but diet and lifestyle must be changed. If only Qigong, diligently practice every day will bring health benefits and more, but it must be done "religiously" every day for at least 1 or more hours.. Both herbs and Qigong will make a world of a difference.

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 1

I know this. I have Bruce Frantzis's book on Water Method breath method. This seems to be great stuff for some health benefits. But we have to be clear here. This is just some initial level of treatment and cultivation. But it is not sufficient IMO for the general well being and profound health. That is why I personally looking for more detail methods of jing cultivation. And I do continue my breath meditations. But only may be for 30 minutes a day.

Edited by Eugene

I know this. I have Bruce Frantzis's book on Water Method breath method. This seems to be great stuff for some health benefits. But we have to be clear here. This is just some initial level of treatment and cultivation. But it is not sufficient IMO for the general well being and profound health. That is why I personally looking for more detail methods of jing cultivation. And I do continue my breath meditations. But only may be for 30 minutes a day.

:)

I did say this goes deeper than what the surface presents and does more than what most think they know.

Anywho, the method I posted, if truly practiced, will be of great help. If not truly practiced, seek herbal medicine, and enjoy the ride.

Edited by 林愛偉

Okay, I think I understand what these sayings are all about. It was just an extra step of saying something in a different way. Here is my understand of interpret the Five Element Chart. For example, the Water feeds Wood by the Green arrow, in the diagram, only has one direction. What that indicates is that Water will feed what it has to the Wood until water runs out. I think the insulting sequence says, in another way, by stating that the Wood was sucking all the water out of Water. Since Water is active and Wood is passive, I think the proper way of saying should be "the Water was ran out and has no more to provide for the Wood" instead of blaming that "the Wood was sucking up all the Water".

OK. What is the possibility of the Wood sucking up all the Water. Well, under normal conditions, it is not possible because the Metal is constantly feeds the Water, and so on, one element feeds another in the Five Elements Cycle. Therefore, the Insulting sequence defeats the feeding cycle which made it invalid.

If one of the elements does not feed or accept the Chi from another, then, it is an indication that an organ is dysfunctional.

Edited by ChiDragon

Hey there!

Perhaps:

abdominal expansion, which includes the lower back expanding as well. Upon inhalation use the diaphragm to apply pressure to the abdomen, and as the abdomen expands, expand your lower back as though it is protruding out like the belly on inhalation. Do not use excessive force, just let it happen with the pressure applied from the diaphragm.

Do this for about 2 minutes. Then, hod the breath for 3 secs, slowly exhale, and perform it again for 2 minutes. Repeat the whole process for 10 minutes. Then rest for 5mins, and then continue for another 10 minutes the same way as before. Then go about your day.

Do it 3 times a day, for as long as you feel its necessary. Remember to keep your tongue to the roof of your mouth, and slightly contracct the anal muscles...slightly. Standing or sitting is fine, but lying down is good too. hahaha Lying down, you can feel if your lower back is expanding or not on the breath.

Enjoy!

But remember, its always better to get to an herbalist, and let him/her give you a specific formula for your kidneys, for there can be a butt load of other factors involved. This is only a practice of cultivation. Anyone can utilize it regardless of their health conditions....unless they are bleeding from their lower back, and their kidneys are protruding out from the L- spine area...lol

Peace,

Lin

Hi Lin I am having trouble understanding how to use the diaphragm to apply pressure to the abdomen? It does seem that my lower back is expanding a bit when trying but it seems like I can control my abdomen but not my diaphragm. How is this different from abdominal breathing? For me doing this it seems like regular abdominal breathing where both the abdomen and diaphragm expand and then at the end of the expansion the lower back starts to expand a bit also. It does not seem like I can control my diaphragm maybe I am missing ths altogether?

Hi Lin I am having trouble understanding how to use the diaphragm to apply pressure to the abdomen? It does seem that my lower back is expanding a bit when trying but it seems like I can control my abdomen but not my diaphragm. How is this different from abdominal breathing? For me doing this it seems like regular abdominal breathing where both the abdomen and diaphragm expand and then at the end of the expansion the lower back starts to expand a bit also. It does not seem like I can control my diaphragm maybe I am missing ths altogether?

It does need to be practiced with more commentary.

Because in all we do, we should breathe expanding and contracting the abdomen, we are simply applying the muscular focus and mental focus on not expanding the chest, and pressing the stress of the inhalation to fill the whole lower trunk of the body.

This is not solely abdominal breathing. If you could, you would also hold the abdominal muscles in, while expanding the lower back on inhalation. That means you do not use your muscles to expand the lower back, you let the pressure do the work.

The action of the breathing is very beneficial, but it goes far more deeper than just breathing from the lower half of the body.

FYI, I noticed this DVD by Bingkun Hu on Amazon the other day:

Wild Goose Qigong XII: Qigong for the Kidneys

"Qigong for the Kidneys" is an effective exercise for training body coordination, deeper breathing, better balance and easier stretching. It improves our blood and qi circulation which strengthens our kidneys and sharpens our brain functions."

I haven't seen this and don't know what the form is like.

Edited by Dainin

There is yin yoga by Sarah Powers for kidneys.

There is one of the 5 Frolics exercise for kidneys.

But it might replenish postnatal qi only. I dunno! As it is qigong systems.

I think any authentic alchemy (neidan, neikung) method is good for kidneys as it replenishes PREnatal qi which is the basis of kidneys essence. Everything what builds up lower tan tien is good for kidneys.

• Like 1