daoist

bigu or Daoist low carb

Imho, you first need to purify your body (Avoiding Grain) until you reach a state where you can live without food (Closing the Gate).

http://sensualanimist.com/2012/10/16/taoist-diet-bigu-avoiding-grains

A modern approach to bigu would be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/paleolithic_diet .

Basic Principle is living like before the advent of Agriculture, and from my own experience i can say it works well. :D

>Chris<

Have there been any works about people who have accomplished the not eating at all for a decent period of time thing? Friend of mine, his roomate was striving towards this. Was down to living on juice 40% of the time, fasting on nothing 40% of the time, then raw food 20% of the time. He would get pretty emotionally messed up when doing the crazy long fasts, unfortunately. Something really felt off with his approach though. Perhaps there was some energetic practices counterpart missing or something. Or perhaps some meditational or spiritual practices counterpart which would have helped.

The Paleo folks put out an awesome book about the paleo diet for when you are doing a lot of physical training (think it was the paleo diet for athletes one), which I used for ideas when marathon training. You really do need carbs when you are running many hours each week. All hail the mighty sweet potato! Interesting stuff.

On 7/30/2014 at 9:14 PM, Silent Answers said:

I don't mean this to come across as rude... But I wouldn't put too much faith on what China's general population eats...whether it be now or thousands of years ago.

Yea, but we're not talking about the general populace here...but cryptic advice from ancient Daoists.  Who have always somehow remained ahead of the curve even thousands of years ago!

"Hominid brains appear to have remained fairly constant in size for a long period from some 1.8 Million years ago until about 600,000 years ago. But then, from 600,000 years to 150,000 years before the present, fossils show that the cranial capacity of our ancestors skyrocketed. Brain mass peaked at about 1,440 grams. Since then brain mass has declined to the 1,300 grams that is typical today. [...] The very period of brain shrinkage coincides with a major dietary change, for it was around this period that cereals and grain came to the fore. [...] Indeed studies of skeletons from early agricultural societies show ill health accompanies the initial transition to eating more grains and cereals. [...] just about anywhere that this transition to cereals occurs, health declines."

6.1.2-28_KC_97PGK_new_xl.jpg

So amongst other things...growing grains caused massive deforestation, human population explosion, and brain shrinkage... <_<

• Like 2

After some years my practices forced me to go on this no grain/raw food diet.I did it only for nearly a year because it became so intense.The first little bit of bread was like a drug and changed perception of reality immediately.In my experiences this text on the 3 worms is absolutely right , even eating garlic or onions feels spooky to me :) .But i think its nothing you can do in society its more a retreat thing.

• Like 3

I did bigu, except with white rice still, for approx. 6 months around 2 years ago. Very interesting results. I got a lot lighter feeling; it is literally easier for me to sit up off the ground from my perception now. I did lose about 10 lbs or so. I also gained more mental clarity as well, and began reading a lot more as opposed to watching tv. 

On a side note, I feel as though I digest food easier now. My stomach has been a lawn mower since so started that diet. 

I didn't become immortal or dance among clouds or anything unfortunately. Maybe next time without the rice. 

Also, upon eating bread again I noticed a relatively strong high the first couple times. Similar to being a kid and falling asleep in a warm place. Very odd. Maybe we are mass-medicating via our diet with wheat? 

Edited by Chá Rén 茶人
Spelling
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Chá Rén 茶人 said:

Maybe we are mass-medicating via our diet with wheat? 

yes we are, much research has been done on it, but mainstream still laughs at it

• Like 2

I think we'd be way healthier if doctors nutritionists prescribed diets.  Not that we'd listen.. 

Or if we could be 'arrested' for one month, get house arrest and have to eat all meals at the house, delivered and healthy.  Have to give urine or blood tests too.  Orwellian, but maybe it could be volunteer.  With the hope being after one (or two) months of eating healthier food, you'd get a taste for it, and better focus on portion size.   

There's already a dozen sites that will bring you cooked or pre-cooked healthy meals (we did Blue Ribbon for a bit).  I believe Amazons end game for purchasing Whole Foods is to create a mass home shipping system..  healthy Orwellianism.  

<addon by the way ignore everything I say on the subject.  At the moment I'm baking brownies. and you wanna know the worst part?  They're from a box :(.   On the other hand they're Ghirardelli and dark chocolate.  Plus I added peanut butter and a little espresso powder to the mix.  Forgive me Dao for I will sin, and it'll be delicious. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately there are many more people and dollars lobbying for exactly the opposite of what you are prescribing, @thelerner. We are reaching Orwellian-mandated GMO's and subsidized crops such as wheat, corn, soy, etc. for much of the U.S. population already. 

Taoist eating fights Big Brother. 

It's hard to control people when they eat little conventional food and never get sick. Bigu itself started as a peasant movement to decrease reliance on the State and its control of most cereal crops. 

• Like 6