Sign in to follow this  
Wu Ming Jen

Non Doing

Non doing, doing without contrivance. Do birds wake up on day and say I don't feel like flying today or do birds just fly. How do you apply the concept of non doing in your daily activities?

Birds always feel ilke flying, every day. And they feel like singing.

How not to contrive... well, that would need an ability to be authentically in touch with one's core being, wouldnt it.

It would mean being playful.

non - doing is being playful. also passionate and peaceful.

anything that you cant fake... is non doing.

• Like 2

Wu Wei does not mean "non doing" anything at all.
Philosophically, it simply means do not do anything adversely.

But isn't adversely in contrast to something being correct, This is subjective and relative to something else. Correct me if I am wrong but an act of kindness is only true kindness when we are not aware of doing a kind act.as example. We cant even say that being kind is a good virtue because being too kind can bring harm like being taken advantage of.

Yes, you are correct as ordinary thinking. If you follow Lao Tze's philosophical thinking, then it would be a different story. You see, with his wisdom, he likes to look at things in a negative sense to present his positive view. This is why many people read the Tao Te Ching paradoxically and misunderstood him. Would you like to put some thoughts into this and test your mental power...??? ;)

It's about acting from the heart. Can you contrive the heart? Not really. You can inspire it though.

Finding x=z so y should be 0 is not going to lead us to the heart. Contriving to be uncontrived leads to contrivance. Wu wei is to leave the categorizing and do what's real. It does take skill though - to be able to drop the mind, listen, and dance with the river banks. True skill doesn't come from the mind, it comes from the heart.

These are the differences.

• Like 1

Wu Wei might not even be an intellectual concept or philosophy.By observation nature acts in the state of Wu Wei all the time. Nature does not do so to benefit its self or others.

WMJ.......
If Wu Wei is not even be an intellectual concept or philosophy, then how one acts in the state of Wu Wei all the time....???

Lao Tze wrote the Tao Te Ching based on the whole Concept of Wu Wei. What does Lao Tze or you mean by the state of Wu Wei then....???

Nature may not benefit its self, but it does so for others by providing foods, air, and dwelling shelters for humans.... Don't you think.....???

Edited by ChiDragon

Wu Wei might not even be an intellectual concept or philosophy.

You are right. Wu Wei is not either of these things.

It's just used as such by monkey mind and ego.

CD, Act with out acting. Does not benefit but benefits all things. I was talking to a Taoist priest about the classics one day and he was not even interested. My Master told me to simply observe nature it will show the way ie no contrivance or some other similar word in meaning.

With a taoist priest, you definitely dont need to discuss 'taoism'. You just have tea, walk, laugh, cook, be alive.

Embodiment!

• Like 1

True that Cat Hanging and living with the Monks was so much fun, life is good (and death when it is time to go)

Cat Hanging...hmmm. Is this gallows humour?!

Purely unintentional Cat but funny, also meant to mention the female "nuns" (Kuan Tao) along with the monks that were awesome to be around

• Like 1

yeah just did 4 hr meditation and the concentration of the I-thought in full lotus then put me to sleep a couple times. So we "do" during the day not realizing we are not a full "being." So action arises out of the Emptiness which is our true being. The more we go into the Emptiness the more power we have and the more truth we see and our actions embody the Emptiness as harmonious healing energy.

• Like 1

May we consider that "Emptiness" was being in the "State of Serenity" which is the ultimate realm of a Taoist......???

May we consider that "Emptiness" was being in the "State of Serenity" which is the ultimate realm of a Taoist......???

Yeah I mean Yan Xin says how if you just stay in the Emptiness then you miss your chance when the Universe sends you an energy message -- so -- hold on....

http://fulllotusqigong.blogspot.com/2012/10/maintaining-state-of-listening-but-not.html

well you all can scroll down as it's all worth reading. haha.

Sign in to follow this