Taomeow

Ganying

any idea what the classical characters might be for Ganying??

感應

• Like 1

Hello! What a wonderful topic..I have experienced ganying often. I actually rely on it quite a bit to move thru life. I will share a story on one event that has influenced my life up until today.

3 years ago I was thinking about how I could make my house feel better, healthier, happier. I was contemplating getting a Feng Shui reading. I was feeling unsure, lost really, as to what to do so I went outside in the yard with my phone because i was waiting for a call. I stared at the sun and asked for help. I asked to be given a sign to point me in the right direction. Right then, the phone rang. It was a Feng Shui reader. My mum, without telling me, had called a couple people and left messages. I liked the reader right from the start and hired her right then.

That event created a ripple effect that eventually led me to where i am today and to my teacher. I dont know if I would be where i am if I had not followed the guidepost. Probably not, haha.

Peace.

• Like 2

I've often suffered from knee nag. Didn't have a name this elegant for the phenomenon though (thank you MM and PLB) -- my working title for this has been "the almost-there f...-up." (There's a Russian slang idiom for this too which is strange but expressive and refers to events that should have happened but didn't--"flying over and past it like plywood over Paris.")

Left knee, by chance? Been wondering why the left knee was trying to walk away from the rest of me lately. Can't blame it, of course...

Yes, left knee. It never seemed to fully trust me ever since I gave it a choice between the republicans and the democrats... er... between an agave and a boulder to land on on a steep incline in the mountains.

• Like 1

Left knee is where my non-physical pain congregates...and causes me pain! :)

I know exactly what you are talking about. I used to have non-physical pain under my left shoulder blade which surfaced as a focal point of a cluster of traumatic memories. It was not a pain and not a not-pain, it was, the best I can put it, hell in that particular spot. I suspect such areas (most people have them) can do a lot of harm, especially if they are numbed out instead of loud.

• Like 2

I know exactly what you are talking about. I used to have non-physical pain under my left shoulder blade which surfaced as a focal point of a cluster of traumatic memories. It was not a pain and not a not-pain, it was, the best I can put it, hell in that particular spot. I suspect such areas (most people have them) can do a lot of harm, especially if they are numbed out instead of loud.

I have a few places like that... Solar plexus, sensations manifesting in stomach/ liver and diaphragm. Base of skull and middle of spine. haha.

Fun places. So much trauma/ qi/ emotion stored in there. woo...intense releasing it.

Yup... sorry to hear that, but like I said, this is common though not commonly addressed. Any efficient interference with the baseline homeostasis (however precarious that may be when hinged on pain and defenses striking a deal for a while), can and often does wake up at least some of those sleeping dogs. (Basically, "qigong sickness" and "kundalini syndrome" and the like is what happens in the case there's many dogs and they are especially fierce, and not asleep so deeply as to be comatose.)

• Like 1

Yup... sorry to hear that, but like I said, this is common though not commonly addressed. Any efficient interference with the baseline homeostasis (however precarious that may be when hinged on pain and defenses striking a deal for a while), can and often does wake up at least some of those sleeping dogs. (Basically, "qigong sickness" and "kundalini syndrome" and the like is what happens in the case there's many dogs and they are especially fierce, and not asleep so deeply as to be comatose.)

I appreciate the sentiment. We all have our own struggles and trials. Bumps in the road to help us grow. Pain has been my greatest teacher, actually.

I agree, it is common. I know some people who have them, just are not going into them. So its..manifesting in ways that are not really releasing/ healing it.

Before I started the path of healing, I felt FAR better then I do now. hehe. My system had adapted and figured out how to suppress and work around the problems.

After I started, well, when some powerful and effective methods were used, things just went down hill. haha.

Its up hill but down hill. Woo! Roller Coaster!

I have experienced quite a few times where the sleeping pooches wake up. Its a blessing now, since I have an idea as to how to work thru them.

It can be quite rough. The things that are released once the "sleeping pooches" are woken and fed! woo! Its amazing.

Anywho, I hope this little rant is not too off topic, TaoMeow. I do love Ganying, though.

Just this last week experienced a small one. I found a funny picture online, two hours later a friend shared it on facebook, 5 hours later another friend sent me the same picture thru email!!

Was amusing. I giggled.

Question.

Is it something similar to Ganying when you forget about something continuously?

Im thinking Yin/Yang dynamics. If there is an awareness of connections. could there be a absence of manifestation as well?

Something keeps popping up compared to something constantly being left out/ forgotten?

Peace!

• Like 1

Interesting question!

Yes, I think so. For things that trigger a response in us ("resonate"), we have established grooves of habitual processing of this particular type of stimulus -- grooves of seeking and grooves of avoidance. As soon as something in the environment "vibrates" (I'm not sure it's the right term -- "ganyings" would be a better one) at the "relevant frequency," it is recognized systemically (though not necessarily consciously) and directed toward the particular groove in charge of this type of input. If it's a groove of non-processing, of avoidance, in some cases it can be complete enough to generate, e.g., an extreme form of denial known as anosognosia. An anosognosiac can be fully functional mentally except he does not register any information pertaining to the trauma, no matter how obvious -- it is simply erased the moment it is presented. The brain creates a blank groove for any input that could potentially be integrated into understanding one's condition, and anything that is systemically recognized as leading toward this understanding simply vanishes -- instantly.

In less severe cases, which of course constitute the majority of the rather universal human condition of denial, there's still much similarity to the extreme version if you look closely. A long time ago, I once witnessed the following exchange (between two psychology students, of all people) that made me think of "blank grooves of resonance" for the first time:

Tom: "How old were you when your father left the family?"

Carol (indignantly): "I loved my father very much!"

Tom: "I believe you, but that's not what I asked. I asked how old you were when he abandoned the family."

Carol: "My father was never angry with me, never yelled at me, never hurt me."

Tom: "But didn't he hurt you when he left the family? How old were you then -- five, six?"

Carol: "I was a very happy child. I could show you the pictures, I'm smiling in all pictures from my childhood."

Tom: "That's nice, but can you please answer my question -- how old were you when your father left?"

Carol: "I had a dog when I was a kid, you know, I think that was great, children are so much happier when they have pets..."

and so on. Of course Tom's (and mine) conclusion was that Carol was traumatized enough by her father's leaving the family to create a blank groove for the event -- in fact an altered state of consciousness that maintained it never happened.

This, too, is very common. Ganying, which discerns much subtler resonances and directs us either toward, or away from, conscious encounters with the truth (depending on what the whole system decides is more advantageous for survival), operates on levels far below and far above the narrow band of everyday awareness. I believe that noticing its operations is the first step toward expanding this band. New grooves start forming, those that will resonate with subtler and subtler (or wider or deeper or more farfetched, as the case may be) phenomena as soon as you stop throwing them all indiscriminately into a blank one. (I mean the generic "you," of course, not you or anyone else personally).

The opposite danger I think is to form a groove that is adept at making false connections, stretching it, exaggerating the significance of such events and seeing them as earth-shattering revelations in every case... I've seen people do that with ganying phenomena too, and I can't decide which is more annoying, a closed mind or a mind open so wide that stuff keeps falling out.

• Like 3

Interesting question!

Yes, I think so. For things that trigger a response in us ("resonate"), we have established grooves of habitual processing of this particular type of stimulus -- grooves of seeking and grooves of avoidance. As soon as something in the environment "vibrates" (I'm not sure it's the right term -- "ganyings" would be a better one) at the "relevant frequency," it is recognized systemically (though not necessarily consciously) and directed toward the particular groove in charge of this type of input. If it's a groove of non-processing, of avoidance, in some cases it can be complete enough to generate, e.g., an extreme form of denial known as anosognosia. An anosognosiac can be fully functional mentally except he does not register any information pertaining to the trauma, no matter how obvious -- it is simply erased the moment it is presented. The brain creates a blank groove for any input that could potentially be integrated into understanding one's condition, and anything that is systemically recognized as leading toward this understanding simply vanishes -- instantly.

In less severe cases, which of course constitute the majority of the rather universal human condition of denial, there's still much similarity to the extreme version if you look closely. A long time ago, I once witnessed the following exchange (between two psychology students, of all people) that made me think of "blank grooves of resonance" for the first time:

Tom: "How old were you when your father left the family?"

Carol (indignantly): "I loved my father very much!"

Tom: "I believe you, but that's not what I asked. I asked how old you were when he abandoned the family."

Carol: "My father was never angry with me, never yelled at me, never hurt me."

Tom: "But didn't he hurt you when he left the family? How old were you then -- five, six?"

Carol: "I was a very happy child. I could show you the pictures, I'm smiling in all pictures from my childhood."

Tom: "That's nice, but can you please answer my question -- how old were you when your father left?"

Carol: "I had a dog when I was a kid, you know, I think that was great, children are so much happier when they have pets..."

and so on. Of course Tom's (and mine) conclusion was that Carol was traumatized enough by her father's leaving the family to create a blank groove for the event -- in fact an altered state of consciousness that maintained it never happened.

This, too, is very common. Ganying, which discerns much subtler resonances and directs us either toward, or away from, conscious encounters with the truth (depending on what the whole system decides is more advantageous for survival), operates on levels far below and far above the narrow band of everyday awareness. I believe that noticing its operations is the first step toward expanding this band. New grooves start forming, those that will resonate with subtler and subtler (or wider or deeper or more farfetched, as the case may be) phenomena as soon as you stop throwing them all indiscriminately into a blank one. (I mean the generic "you," of course, not you or anyone else personally).

The opposite danger I think is to form a groove that is adept at making false connections, stretching it, exaggerating the significance of such events and seeing them as earth-shattering revelations in every case... I've seen people do that with ganying phenomena too, and I can't decide which is more annoying, a closed mind or a mind open so wide that stuff keeps falling out.

Fascinating!

hehe, I have observed such a "groove" many times. Interesting..

So Ganying is more of a mechanism that can manifest in multiple ways.

I have had plenty of "error" moments.

What does this say about things like, say, car keys? or dates?

Is it showing us that there is something deeper there? If those things are continuously forgotten?

Having the ability to discern is important. To know that this is just a neat resonance or something important/ revelational.

It helps allot. hehe.

Not only to not get all up and excited, searching and connecting dots that are not really there....

Also to see the connections when they are there. To connect them and stretch to see what is being shown..

Wonderful posts, as usual, TaoMeow.

Thank you!

Peace.

Thanks for this...

Every now and then, I hear myself saying "what on earth is wrong with people today?!" I can feel the chaos in there air.

And spotting synchronicity too...with open eyes, you can see patterns daily. It helps shape the day if we can pay attention :)

As for Magnolia, damn, I haven't seen that in about 10 years! Now I'm in the mood.

Thanks for posting and I will read up more on Ganying :D

• Like 1

Thanks for this...

Every now and then, I hear myself saying "what on earth is wrong with people today?!" I can feel the chaos in there air.

And spotting synchronicity too...with open eyes, you can see patterns daily. It helps shape the day if we can pay attention :)

As for Magnolia, damn, I haven't seen that in about 10 years! Now I'm in the mood.

Thanks for posting and I will read up more on Ganying :D

I have felt that, too. You can just feel it. People respond to it, as well.

Sometimes I watch people drive fast and take risks I consider stupid. Over and over again. Its like they are all filled with a specific need for speed. haha.

I wonder...if its a similar thing to how a bunch of people will go to a store at the same time. Especially when its on a day thats not normal. Like a wednesday night. And the place is PACKED! at 10 pm.

Every so often, that happens and its so strange....its like they all heard a silent call and came to shop.

OH, new marketing technique! Sonic marketing! Spooky.

I just watched Magnolia, after hearing it referenced here and it was a good movie.

Loved the opening sequence. hehe.

Peace

Never heard of Ganying prior to this thread, but have encountered it repeatedly.

It augments and resonates with the concept of Morphogenetic Fields by Rupert Sheldrake.

Nature is cyclical.

We are nature.

I wonder...if its a similar thing to how a bunch of people will go to a store at the same time. Especially when its on a day thats not normal. Like a wednesday night. And the place is PACKED! at 10 pm.

Every so often, that happens and its so strange....its like they all heard a silent call and came to shop.

Yes, I know what you mean. For example, if I go to the supermarket, I usually predict when the quiet time will be and go then. 95% of the time I'm right, but every so often, I get a crazy surprise and find the place packed despite it not being a public holiday or anything. It also happens that the rest of my day tends to go completely to pot too, and that I obtain nothing but frustration in that day!

• Like 1

@ Uroboros: thank you for your kind words. :wub:

@ Rara:

every so often, I get a crazy surprise and find the place packed despite it not being a public holiday or anything. It also happens that the rest of my day tends to go completely to pot too, and that I obtain nothing but frustration in that day!

you may be dealing with the phenomenon of San Niang here rather than ganying (not that it's not related... in a truly cosmic way, by the way -- it blew my mind when I first realized that it's the Big Dipper and the "stations of the moon," no less, that are responsible for those nothing-but-frustration days everyone encounters with exasperating regularity). Unlike most ganying phenomena which you can only predict if you invest a lot of analysis by methods of taoist sciences, San Niang days are regular, come like clockwork on particular days of the lunar calendar and are repeated in this sequence every lunar month. I wrote about it a long time ago... won't repeat myself, anyone interested can probably dig up that thread from under the dust of ages... :) Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 3

Thank @Taomeow...Can you remember the thread name?

No, I don't, unfortunately... so maybe I'll repost in a bit.

In the meantime, saw this episode -- the driver was unharmed -- reminded me of a Castaneda account of the day he and Don Juan were on a mountain trail and Carlos stopped for a moment to tie his shoelaces, and that's when a huge boulder suddenly fell on the path where they would have been in a moment if he didn't stop. This is another side of the "knee nab" ganying, the almost-but-not-quite kind -- its brighter side. I've experienced this one too...

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1