Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

What principles do all Taoists hold in common?

I know it was like bbbbbbhuuuaahh! Damn I can't say anything!

I know.

Show me those words before they dissolved prior to their births.

I think it is more gainful to have and enjoy a good brew of Wulung tea.

and easier to talk of how your face look like before the lust entered your fathers heart and the gleam of your mother's eye.

The Taoistic Idiot

Hehehehehe....HISTORICALLY speaking, Buddhist teaching influenced so much on Taoism is that you can't even distinguish the two. To say that the teaching of the Dharma is not Tao is totally, historically inaccurate. To say Dharma isn't Tao is also wrong. Anyway......moving on....... :)

All right, let's speak historically.

Buddhism began 2,500 years ago in India and entered China in the first century C.E. via two routes. One went from India through Pakistan, then Afghanistan, then China's Xinjiang, from there into the central China, and from China into Korea and Japan. Another route went from India to Nepal, into Tibet, and again into China's heartland, forming the Tibetan Buddhism tradition. Southern tradition Buddhism went from Sri Lanka to Thailand, Burma, Laos, Vietnam, and the Yunnan region of China. This is the Pali canon. Finally, from the nineteenth century, Buddhism seeped into the Western countries.

Taoism, which unlike Buddhism is neither missionary nor messianic and therefore pretty much stayed put where it originated till very recently, was thousands of years old by the time it had its first chance to get influenced by Buddhism. The taoist canon in 5,000 scrolls dedicated to 72 subjects definitely has room for "Buddhist influences," but the subject of this thread -- what principles do all taoists have in common -- precludes the inclusion of "dharma" among these. Many taoist schools were influenced by Buddhism. Not "all." There are, according to (e.g.) Lin Yutang, taoists and taoist schools whose views of Buddhism are anything but accepting. Some of these refer to Buddhism-infused taoist sects as wang ben -- "forgotten their origins." So I submit my remark was not inaccurate. Not "all" taoists embrace Buddhist concepts, and, e.g., a Maoshan traditionalist would ROFL upon hearing the word "dharma."

If he does not ROFL, it is not the dharma. :D

• Like 1

Taoism was already old before Gautama was even conceived from the lust in his fathers heart.

Let us hold aside that he was many incarnates or that will never end. As before he came about, nothing was written on Buddhism.

So how Buddhism can go on to influence Taoism is kind of strange.

I am not talking of images in Taoist temples. The Taoist monks got to eat. And they are not wiling as so many Christians and their priests, to go denigrate and insult other faiths.

Idiot on the Path

Buddhism began 2,500 years ago in India and entered China in the first century C.E. via two routes. One went from India through Pakistan, then Afghanistan, then China's Xinjiang, from there into the central China, and from China into Korea and Japan. Another route went from India to Nepal, into Tibet, and again into China's heartland, forming the Tibetan Buddhism tradition. Southern tradition Buddhism went from Sri Lanka to Thailand, Burma, Laos, Vietnam, and the Yunnan region of China. This is the Pali canon. Finally, from the nineteenth century, Buddhism seeped into the Western countries.

Taoism, which unlike Buddhism is neither missionary nor messianic and therefore pretty much stayed put where it originated till very recently, was thousands of years old by the time it had its first chance to get influenced by Buddhism. The taoist canon in 5,000 scrolls dedicated to 72 subjects definitely has room for "Buddhist influences," but the subject of this thread -- what principles do all taoists have in common -- precludes the inclusion of "dharma" among these. Many taoist schools were influenced by Buddhism. Not "all." There are, according to (e.g.) Lin Yutang, taoists and taoist schools whose views of Buddhism are anything but accepting. Some of these refer to Buddhism-infused taoist sects as wang ben -- "forgotten their origins." So I submit my remark was not inaccurate. Not "all" taoists embrace Buddhist concepts, and, e.g., a Maoshan traditionalist would ROFL upon hearing the word "dharma."

If he does not ROFL, it is not the dharma. :D

Some of you needs to let the Dharma and Tao just be!!!!! We are talking about couple of thousands of years ago. The influence is mutually circular. Look at Chan Buddhism..... That is pretty much the Taoist version of Buddhism with the emphasis of sudden insight into the Dharma and resulting in sudden enlightenment. Must less relying on texts and scriptures. For the fact that Master Nan can talk about Buddhism and Taoism so interchangeably, it tells you something!!!!

Some of you needs to let the Dharma and Tao just be!!!!! We are talking about couple of thousands of years ago. The influence is mutually circular. Look at Chan Buddhism..... That is pretty much the Taoist version of Buddhism with the emphasis of sudden insight into the Dharma and resulting in sudden enlightenment. Must less relying on texts and scriptures. For the fact that Master Nan can talk about Buddhism and Taoism so interchangeably, it tells you something!!!!

Chan, or Zen Buddhism is Buddhism wrapped with the essence of Taoism.

Or Taoism wrapped with the images of Buddhism.

Or as I said before in attempt to explain Taoism to others who never heard of Taoism before, Taoism is the Zen in Zen Buddhism.

Taoistic Idiot

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this