Sign in to follow this  
SecretGrotto

Hello from student of Internal Arts

I am a long-time consumer of metaphysical literature, and am busy writing a book for my Christian parents.

I hope to give them an insight into the mind of their wayward child, and to share my understanding that led me to move away from their religion.

I have joined this forum to further study the internal arts and to clarify my research.

Writing this book is very difficult for me, because I don't like reinventing the wheel. I could sum the book to my parents up with: "Pull your heads out of your bottoms and read a book now and again!"

Really, there is so much info out there, just seconds away from being read, that can totally convince one of the possibility that Christianity does not have exclusive rights on salvation.

I am trying to curb this egoic involvement, because I know that it will not bring me lasting happiness, at all. Still, I would like to act pre-emptively, since my parents think I am a devout Christian, but I will have to break the news to them sometime or another as my life-choices become more apparent.

I am a long-time consumer of metaphysical literature, and am busy writing a book for my Christian parents.

Writing this book is very difficult for me, because I don't like reinventing the wheel.

I could sum the book to my parents up with: "Pull your heads out of your bottoms and read a book now and again!"

LOL :D

Welcome S.G., hide their Bible(s) & replace it with the Tao-Te-Ching you mean ?

Take a look at some Alan Watts, if you haven't already. <_<

Might give 'em something to ponder.

Over the years I've done far too much reading and procrastinating. At 28 and after more than 10 years of theoretical study of metaphysics and mysticism I am steadily reaching breaking point, where I have to start a serious practice. I cannot tolerate all the planning and hypothesizing any more, and I really believe that an ounce of practice would be worth far more.

A big obstacle for me is that I care about how my life-choices will influence my family, and they cannot support my choices because of their associations. I know that an earnest, deep practice that sacrifices a conventional lifestyle and income will reward with a calibre of benefits that simply cannot be matched by a worldly life.

From the few experiences I have had I thrill to think that it was just the beginning. During extraordinarily deep practice, for me, my dream life becomes so profound. It cannot be explained in a linear way, but the feelings that accompany those states give me such a deep satisfaction.

And I know that my living conditions are far from optimal for spiritual growth. I am removed from nature. I can only imagine how much it would benefit me to balance myself in the heart of nature, and to change my diet in accordance with best practices.

I have realized in the past couple of days that my first aim should be to break my body into an almost austere practice where I can tolerate sitting unmoving in meditation for at least an hour. In the fashion that Wang Liping was broken into a 4 hour full-lotus session by his masters in Opening the Dragon gate. Many might not agree, and this might not be the best approach for everyone.

I have simply arrived at this point where I know my weaknesses and how they might be resolved. For many it might be no problem to sit unmoving for 1 hour, yet it is something I have yet to master. I believe that something very beneficial takes place if one breaks through barriers of discomfort like that. I am reminded of how Chunyi Lin sat for something like 8 hours during a seminar given by a Qi Gong master in a park, and how his body went through extremes and was significantly healed of severe physical injury.

I myself am struggling with a sports injury in my back, and after about 20 minutes my back flares up. However, I have found that struggling through 40 minutes numbs the whole body and my mind approaches an altered state. I fully believe that by practicing Nei Gong that my body will fully heal itself, but at the moment I am just a beginner.

Now I am avoiding cold food and drinks, and I can really feel energetic movements in my belly since then. I am also abstaining from draining Jing. I am not sure that I am feeling the lower dan tien, per se, but there is a change occurring in my body. Now that I am paying attention to energy in my body, I can feel that I am getting periodic flashes of heat circulating around my body and skin.

A big problem I have had during meditation at night and early morning is what I think is too much Yang energy, almost like acid reflux, even when I know it isn't likely to be acid reflux. It is like an imbalance and keeping the body and mind still seems to aggravate the condition so much so that it feels like heat is building up in my torso and neck.

Another problem in the evening is that I get so sleepy during practice that I just cannot stand it any longer and I have to go lie down. A problem with meditating while waking up is that it is like my mind is in a numbed state that does not promote a successful meditation experience.

But I think that if I change my goals from having a good meditation to breaking my body into submission then I will make better progress. I know at least that until now the former goal made me prone to give up prematurely due to aforementioned difficulties.

I am reading Daoist Nei Gong by Damo Mitchell at the moment, and I really like it because it divulges the expected progression and explanation of underlying mechanisms. I do like knowing what to look out for and what to expect during practice. I hope to at least feel my lower dan tien clearly, as a next step of progression. When I raise energy by leg bouncing into the root chakra I can really feel the area heat up, so I have felt that before, but I really am an amateur.

I would not normally write like this, lest I reduce motivative pressure, but I think that some of the readers might have advice for me.

I think you're already aware of the problem of getting too top heavy, ie theoretical. Glad you're doing some solid practice.

I'd also add if your concentrating on your practice, don't pick a fight w/ your parents by insulting and/or trying to change there religion. It'll only distract you and piss them off, probably a waste of time.

Welcome to the board.

Michael

Edited by thelerner

Sign in to follow this