DiamondEyE

Behold! The Unhumbled Sage!

Hi forum!

My name is Kris, im a 24 y.o. black american currently living in Atl.

I have been exploring spirituality of many diffrent traditions since the fourth grade.

My Grandmother passed away at this time and it left me confused and determined to find an answer to the true nature of humanity.

While researching i discovered that meditation can lead to insight and wisdom and provide answers.

So here i am now, after several years of japa samadhi and meditation.

There is something about Taoism that has always appealed to me, even thought it originated in e.asia i feel it is universal and can lead to profound emancipation.

Currently im reading the pinned f.a.q to get some of my questions answered.

I did have one core question i would like to ask.

Can Taoist meditation be practiced without a teacher?

Im homeless at the moment and dont have funds for courses seminars etc.

Im very practice oriented, if the technique is described well i can put it into practice.

So please help me with this questions, and point me to any meditation books that are practical for development.

With love and aspirations for universal emancipation. ^_^

• Like 1

I borrowed my username from a japanese manga character, it means Sennin or Sage or Xian of the Six Paths. I like to call myself that because i feel it is my purpose to transcend/master/understand the 6 realms of rebirth.

Peace

Hi Kris,

Here is a free pdf you can download and print of "The Neiye." It's more of a manual for mediation in daily life versus sitting meditation, but you can easily apply it to sitting meditation as well.

If you can't download from a public computer, you can also find it online under "Nei Yeh."

Okay great.

I enjoyed reading your signature

With love.

Peace.

=)

Edited by RikudouSennin
  • Like 1

Nice!

Thanks for all your help Old Green/O.G.

I have alot of work and studying to do.

Peace

Edit: wow, so much i neeed to learn!

Edited by RikudouSennin

You might want to meditate using the I Ching, possibly using an online service such as this IChingOnline.net. It would be a way for you to begin studying Chinese philosophy in a way that may have meaning to your every day life.

You might want to meditate using the I Ching, possibly using an online service such as this IChingOnline.net. It would be a way for you to begin studying Chinese philosophy in a way that may have meaning to your every day life.

Okay thanks.

Im noticing that chinese philosophy resonates with me.

Okay to keep it simple for practice im going to:

1.Learn basic tai chi from books and internet courses and a few meetup groups out here.

2.Learn apply what i can from instructional Qi Gong videos.

3.Practice Microcosmic orbit tek.

4.Chan medititation

(until i can afford to pay for classes im going to keep it simple)

Along with the practices im going to study:

1)Classic taoist literature

2)I Ching

This should keep me busy for a while...

Any other suggestions?

Everyone has been a huge help.

Peace.

I have been exploring spirituality of many diffrent traditions since the fourth grade.

My Grandmother passed away at this time and it left me confused and determined to find an answer to the true nature of humanity.

While researching i discovered that meditation can lead to insight and wisdom and provide answers.

So here i am now, after several years of japa samadhi and meditation.

There is something about Taoism that has always appealed to me, even thought it originated in e.asia i feel it is universal and can lead to profound emancipation.

Im homeless at the moment and dont have funds for courses seminars etc.

With love and aspirations for universal emancipation. ^_^

Well, if you've already been seeking for 16 years, you are probably further along your way than most of us here.. :lol:

That said, my general advice for Taoist n00bs would be to start (or train in conjunction) with some fundamental preparation of your body & life for a few years first. Any guidance here helps of course, but a lot of this grunt work can be done on your own.

1) Practice stretching regularly to open and release your body, particularly your kua (pelvis) and spine. It can take years to slowly melt and release years' worth of chronic tension, constricted tendons, fascia & meridians and Reichian armoring. Bruce Frantzis' Water Method would refer to this general process as "dissolving." It's a slow metamorphosis of transforming from a closed, defensive posture (living in fear) to an open, "vulnerable, yet not" posture (living in grace).

Western sport is all about training us for the sympathetic "fight or flight" response (literally - to sprint fast or do competitive battle). Eastern internal arts veer more towards the parasympathetic "rest & digest" response (to relax, restore & rejuvenate your own health).

All of this also lays the foundation for the "most efficient" optimal Taoist meditation posture of full lotus. But rather than forcing (VERY un-Taoist!) yourself into this advanced position, it should be progressively trained for as such until it can be assumed easily and comfortably. The other "power pose" is zhan zhuang, but that doesn't require as much flexibility - although also the tensionless body language of "surrendering to grace."

2) Decompartmentalize and recognize the direct connection between all aspects of your life. Your personal story is also an expression of your "subconscious self" - so if one's not in order, then neither is the other... Gnow thyself - and that includes in this material realm too. Spiritualism should not be an escape, but a deeper integration of yourself on all levels of consciousness and being. Meditation helps to bridge these gaps.

I also find self-inquiry/psychotherapy to be an incredibly powerful, but often underrated, tool for troubleshooting problems that occur in any such spheres of your life. Ask yourself why did your grandmother's death confuse, and not just sadden, you? What did that loss represent to you? Why have you subconsciously chosen to be homeless? Etc..

"Unfortunately," many of the available texts jump straight into advanced alchemical techniques like the Neijing Tu...and give virgin readers the impression that they can too. Well, there is little chance that a brand n00b can start genuinely meditating in full lotus an hour or more a day - especially if they have significant life worries, health issues or aren't naturally Gumby... Meanwhile, there is plenty that can and SHOULD be done, before one even attempts that training stage!

Ok, good wishes & happy trails, man! May the Dao be with you! :D

Edited by vortex
  • Like 1

Have we met.

Its so odd your number 2 is like u know me personally, how did u know i chose to be homeless? *_*

I chose to be a vagabond, i have been traveling all over the U.s.a.

I feel so much freedom, of course this is temporary. But what is so weird is that living this lifestyle for the past 7 months has revealed so much. I finally found my career path in life than the ones pushed on me by my family.

Wow you are hitting so many nails on the head, I swear we've met, were you at the los angeles life concious expo?

I was trying to use spirituality as a type of escapism, this is one of the realisations that occured on my travels.

This is why this path is resonating with me, its about the now and dealing with things.

Another strange thing is after reading your question what did my grandmas death mean to me, I always knew on a subconcious level, but your question was so straight forward, the answer came immediately.

I was so scared of death, losing my personal identity, my family and just the unknown.

This means my whole quest has been to discover how to remain concious after death etc.

Thank you so much.

This transmission means a lot to me.

• Like 1

Have we met. Its so odd your number 2 is like u know me personally, how did u know i chose to be homeless? *_* I chose to be a vagabond, i have been traveling all over the U.s.a. I feel so much freedom, of course this is temporary. But what is so weird is that living this lifestyle for the past 7 months has revealed so much. I finally found my career path in life than the ones pushed on me by my family. Wow you are hitting so many nails on the head, I swear we've met, were you at the los angeles life concious expo? I was trying to use spirituality as a type of escapism, this is one of the realisations that occured on my travels. This is why this path is resonating with me, its about the now and dealing with things. Another strange thing is after reading your question what did my grandmas death mean to me, I always knew on a subconcious level, but your question was so straight forward, the answer came immediately. I was so scared of death, losing my personal identity, my family and just the unknown. This means my whole quest has been to discover how to remain concious after death etc. Thank you so much. This transmission means a lot to me.

Not in this lifetime, perhaps in another? Were you ever a Japanese monk named Shenzhu? :lol:

Anyhow, you are full of insights...asking the right questions is half the battle. Thank you for sharing your fascinating story! B)

I feel like you may have initially been driven by a "freed slave complex" where you defiantly sought freedom/emancipation from your plantation/family pressures/death/rebirth wheel/material world/ignorance/home/own problems by escaping into otherworldly "spirituality." This was akin to shifting from a root chakra survival mode more towards solar plexus personal empowerment. Where you subsequently learned through your "unhumbling" experience that if escapism didn't really lead to freedom (from your problems & misassociated concepts) - then you might actually have to SOLVE them - to be free OF them?

So now perhaps, you've decided to strive for GREATER CONSCIOUSNESS (antithesis of death, identity loss, not knowing, etc) to become...conscious of what you're actually subconsciously doing...and a better problem-solver?

Q: Is the solution to a fear of losing...winning?

...or surrendering?

Edited by vortex