You seem to know much of this way of thinking and it's philosophies, please expound. I have studied the Tao in depth and I am aware of the classics. However as far as Shiva and the path of it's development I know nothing. What practices does it prescribe ?

Om Namah Shivaya

There is no real separation between God and the world.

Siva is the only reality of the universe. Siva is infinite consciousness. He is independent, eternal, formless, secondless, omnipresent. Siva is the subject and the object, the experiencer and the experienced. The world exists within consciousness.

He who does Japa of this Panchakshara is freed from births and deaths and attains eternal bliss.

Sit in Padmasana or Sukhasana, facing East or North, in a quiet place or room. Repeat silently the Panchakshara and meditate on the form of Lord Siva. Keep the image in the heart or space between the eyebrows.

If you practise meditation regularly, your heart will be purified. All Samskaras and sins will be burnt in toto. You will attain Siva-Yoga-Nishtha or Nirvikalpa Samadhi. You will attain the glorious Siva-Pada or Siva-Gati and become one with Lord Siva. You will enjoy the eternal bliss of Sivanandam and become immortal.

• Like 1

Let me just say, I'm not Hindu or even Indian for that matter.

I'm just an ordinary English guy with a family, a menial boring day job, a mortgage etc etc.

I've been on a spiritual quest for as long as I remember and I've read, studied and practiced a multitude of systems from all different traditions.

People wise, I've met the wonderful, the humble, the mad, the egotistical, and the downright strange They've all been helpful and have gotten me to where I am now.

But when I discovered the teachings of Shaivism everything fell into place. It's not that I've discovered something new to me, it feels as if this is what I've known all along, deep down in the core of my being. It is what I am. I have no teacher or guru, nor do I want one. I prefer the solitude of my sadhana. It's my spiritual practice, tailored by me for me.

For the first time ever, I feel at one with my practice. There's no separation. It's not something I do anymore, it's something I am. It feels wonderful.

• Like 2

http://www.amazon.com/The-Shiva-Samhita-James-Mallinson/dp/0971646651

As far as I know hes an okay western scholar

Interesting book on Yoga.

Yoga has lost it's original purpose and meaning.

Yoga = union with the Divine.

Asanas are a miniscule part of Yoga. In fact, one does not have to do ANY asanas to be a yogi.

This article is right on the money:

http://www.swamij.com/traditional-yoga.htm

Indeed, isn't some saivism ultimately about yoga, kechari mudra, kundalini etc.?

If you want to be Shiva, do this:

Edited by alwayson

isn't some saivism ultimately about yoga, kechari mudra, kundalini etc.?

If you want to be Shiva, do this:

I don't think this is necessary to become one with the Divine.

This is a physical disfigurement of the body and is not really needed for true spiritual union.

It's not something I would do anyway.

I doubt if Abinavagupta or Swami Lakshmanjoo have done this !

Maybe a secluded hermit yogi would be inclined to such a practice.

Edited by adept

I would be surprised if they didn't do it.

For example, its in one of the main tantras Kashmir Saivism is based on, the Mālinīvijayottaratantra.

Edited by alwayson

Well, whether they did or not, it's not for me to comment on.

I just thought it was an extreme Hatha Yoga practice. :o I know I won't do it that's for sure.

This is a physical disfigurement of the body and is not really needed for true spiritual union.

It's not something I would do anyway.

Maybe a secluded hermit yogi would be inclined to such a practice.

Kechari mudra is also taught in babaji's Kriya yoga tradition. They strictly warn against takin shortcuts to attaining kechari...so no cutting of the muscle beneath the tongue. Kechari preparatory practices will automatically elongate the tongue and prepare it for placement at the right place.

I haven't read the contents of the link but I think I know what is being pointed at..

The lingual frenum is not muscle.

And the real Shiva, Shiva, instructs to cut it.

I wasn't aware there was a real and a false Shiva.

• Like 1