eye_of_the_storm

What are we drinking?

What are we drinking?
----------------------------------------------

Antidepressants in water trigger autism genes in fish

Low levels of antidepressants and other psychoactive drugs in water supplies can trigger the expression of genes associated with autism – in fish at least.

The use of antidepressants has increased dramatically over the past 25 years, says Michael Thomas of Idaho State University in Pocatello. Around 80 per cent of each drug passes straight through the human body without being broken down, and so they are present in waste water. In most communities, water purification systems cannot filter out these pharmaceuticals. "They just fly right through," says Thomas, which means they ultimately find their way into the water supply.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21882-antidepressants-in-water-trigger-autism-genes-in-fish.html

Anti-Depressants linked to Suicide and Violence

In June 2001, a jury in Wyoming determined that the antidepressant drug Paxil caused a man to kill his wife, daughter and granddaughter before killing himself. The jury awarded the surviving family $8 million in damages, according to 'American Medical Publishing's Prescription Medicines, Side Effects and Natural Alternatives'.

http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/anti-depressants-linked-to-suicide-and-violence

Contraceptive pill/ estrogen...significant amounts in the water supply.

Couple of interesting articles.

Britain faces a £30bn bill to clean up rivers, streams and drinking water supplies contaminated by synthetic hormones from contraceptive pills. Drastic reductions in these chemicals, which have been linked to collapses in fish populations, are proposed in the latest European Union water framework directive.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... ptive-pill

Exposure to estrogen puts fish at greater risk of disease and premature death, according to a new federal study.

The U.S. Geological Survey study showed that estrogen exposure reduces a fish's ability to produce proteins that help it ward off disease and pointed to a possible link between the occurrence of intersex fish and recent fish kills in the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -waterways

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 2

I dont drink my tap water, its freakin disgusting. Might as well go sip out of my neighbor's pool.

• Like 1

at our local food co-op and our whole foods market, there is filtered water (reverse osmosis, and in the case of the co-op, ultraviolet filtered on top of that) which is free of pharmaceuticals and all the stuff that the standard community filtration can't filter out.

There is also the matter of fluoride and chlorine, which are both, as joeblast pointed out, completely disgusting on several levels.

anyway we have three 3-gallon jugs and some 1-gallon jugs and needless to say, don't drink the crap from the tap

i'm glad to see you shedding light on pharmaceuticals in the water supply, thanks

• Like 1

I have a small pitcher style Pur water filter I use for filtering any water I will be drinking, like for making coffee and tea. And in truth, the water system in my area is not really bad as it is deep well with only the very basic filtration and chemical usage.

• Like 1

We have one of those ultraviolet germ-zappers because our water is so lousy. Now that they're fracking everywhere around here, it's anybody's guess what kind of chemicals and waste will end up in our watershed. These turkeys are getting fined (already!) for dumping their toxic waste into the big rivers - Ohio and the other one I cant spell in Pittsburgh.

As to Prozac. Wow. I've been taking it for over 25 years and I tried to get off of it last winter. I ultimately couldn't do it. If anyone here remembers how crazy my life became after a month of no Prozac - I just couldn't take it. It turned my life upside down. I'm back on the stuff and I feel okay again. But that is some serious stuff - particularly long term.

• Like 1

As to Prozac. Wow. I've been taking it for over 25 years and I tried to get off of it last winter. I ultimately couldn't do it. If anyone here remembers how crazy my life became after a month of no Prozac - I just couldn't take it. It turned my life upside down. I'm back on the stuff and I feel okay again. But that is some serious stuff - particularly long term.

Yep. There are many drugs being prescribes to us that addict us to those drugs for the rest of our life. Keeps the medical industry wealthy.

• Like 2