suninmyeyes

capoeira

Hey ,

any capoeira players out there ?

How long have you been playing and how does it effect you ? What do you get out of it ? What style are you playing ?

How often do you train?

How does it connect with you spiritual level ?

Can you reccomend any good capoeira documentaries (not training videos ) in English (or Eng subs) ?

I am not counting on many answers knowing that there probably isnt many Capoeira bums around , but would be nice to hear if anyone does practise and fancy sharing about it..

Thanks ! I love it so much , it was so strange to do in the begging becouse there are no so much set rules like in other martial arts , so I felt lost .There are moves but even those can be improvised within the context , so its enjoyable abstract and somehow very feminine .

• Like 2

Hey ,

any capoeira players out there ?

How long have you been playing and how does it effect you ? What do you get out of it ? What style are you playing ?

How often do you train?

How does it connect with you spiritual level ?

Can you reccomend any good capoeira documentaries (not training videos ) in English (or Eng subs) ?

I am not counting on many answers knowing that there probably isnt many Capoeira bums around , but would be nice to hear if anyone does practise and fancy sharing about it..

hey brother come to brazil to check out capeira in Bahia or in any part of Brazil.

It is very associatd with the Brazilian-Afro religion cults of the Candomblé and Umbanda, in which Mediums incorporate spirits during drum music induced trances... search for "pontos de umbanda" in the internet to download some rythms of this cult, (careful couse some invoke the Trikster (Exu).

There is Capeira Regional which is more sportive with more violent jumps and kicks, and the Capoeira Angola which is more grounded, more slow, more playful, lucid and spiritual, with more cultural and spiritual roots...

a nive brazilian film about a great capoeira is called "Bezouro", check it out on the net.

best

• Like 1

i love capoeira!! one of my favorite fighting styles! i can definantly say its one of the most fun martial arts ive ever encounterd and practiced

capoeira is not a fight, it is a game!

I love capoeira but I am physically unable to play it. It looks like a blast. I have a Floreio instruction video collection off of Ido Portal's blog. He makes it all available for free. You can probably find a torrent of the whole collection.

• Like 2

Ill check that blog out MithShrike , thanks. :). edit:that is a really good blog!!bookmarked.

hey brother come to brazil to check out capeira in Bahia or in any part of Brazil.

It is very associatd with the Brazilian-Afro religion cults of the Candomblé and Umbanda, in which Mediums incorporate spirits during drum music induced trances... search for "pontos de umbanda" in the internet to download some rythms of this cult, (careful couse some invoke the Trikster (Exu).

There is Capeira Regional which is more sportive with more violent jumps and kicks, and the Capoeira Angola which is more grounded, more slow, more playful, lucid and spiritual, with more cultural and spiritual roots...

a nive brazilian film about a great capoeira is called "Bezouro", check it out on the net.

best

Hey , I am your sister (not brother) :D !

Would love to come to Brazil sometimes , it must a beutiful country as well as loads of good rodhas .

I saw 'Besauro' -- 'Fly away Beetle' and really liked the movie except few cheesy bits and reccomend it anyone who may be interested in a good Capoeira movie (supposed to be biographical story).

Infact here is the full film:

I have been doing some reaserch on Candomble and its roots. As well as 'mandiga' in Capoeira, which is a roughly translated magic or power that a good capoerista is meant to be having in order to play well -- trick and decieve. This is also interesting about mandiga in Capoeira:

So far in my expirience people dont realy talk so much about doing spirituality or rituals , but about music and game opening the heart . Game is played in circle -- rodha , while playing so many things can come up and have to be faced and learned . As one learns to play in a rodha , slowly this keeping up the rhytam extends onto big rodha -- big circle of Life itself . It is much about right communication at the right time and being fluid .

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 3

I agree...

the chants are full of worldly lessons of how to behave with others, and to play is a true lesson of trust and how to "dance with it",

Sister!

about the energetics, it certainly generates alot of Jing because of the leg work, the rhythm and it's close contact with the ground (especially the more traditional Angola). on the Angola style also the players ofter spin on their own axiswith the palms facing up, I betya it's an intuitive move of capturing energy hehe..

yes, bezouro is a little cheesy hehe....

oh, careful with the documentaries about candomble, I saw one of BBC that made the whole riatual seem more like a big theatrical play.

There are two very good films that are not at all cheesy, I like them alot. They show alot of the lifestyle of "Bahia" the Brazilian state where african culture mostly flourished, they also show alittle bit of capoeira, here are the two trailers.. they are very god films by themselves! Here are the Trailers.

"The Two Deaths of Quincas Wateryell"

"Captains of the Sand"

• Like 2

capoeira is not a fight, it is a game!

It is a martial art disguised as a dance.