Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

[HHC Study] Hua Hu Cing Chapter 4

[Note- Although posted in the Taoist Discussions section of this forum, this thread is intended to be a chapter study of Chapter four of the Hua Hu Ching. With that in mind please restrict your responses to the chapter at hand. Any discussions regarding the validity, origins, or intent of the Hua Hu Ching should be directed to another thread and not this one. I welcome everyone to participate. Questions are welcome, as well as answers. Please follow the FAQ rules located in the Tao Te Ching subforum (changing Tao Te Ching to Hua Hu Ching where needed).]

Hua Hu Ching

Chapter 4

Every departure from the Tao contaminates one's spirit. Anger is a departure, resistance a departure, self- absorption a departure. Over many lifetimes the burden of contaminations can become great. There is only one way to cleanse oneself of these contaminations, and that is to practice virtue. What is meant by this? To practice virtue is to selflessly offer assistance to others, giving without limitation one's time, abilities, and possessions in service, whenever and wherever needed, without prejudice concerning the identity of those in need. If your willingness to give blessings is limited, so also is your ability to receive them. This is the subtle operation of the Tao.

(tr. Brian Brown Walker)

http://brianbrownewalker.com/hua-hu-ching/

Edited by Aaron

So if virtue is our"nature" why are we sometimes unable to be virtuous?

Mostly I can but not always, and it seems those times are when confronted with aggression towards myself or others.

My Sifu use to say "You can't protect others if you are lying on the ground!" and the martial art I learn is VERY aggressive, think about hitting me and I'm already hitting you "Do not stop till you see red" -traditional saying

So how to reconcile that with the above... I don't know,... perhaps the only "assistance" you can offer some people is an opportunity to receive what they are projecting?

So if virtue is our"nature" why are we sometimes unable to be virtuous?

Because Te (virtue) is our original nature, undefiled by 'every departure from the Dao which contaminates one's spirit'.(as it says in the above passage) This is saying that the way to remove the contamination, over the cycle of lifetimes, is to practice virtue in the sense of wanting nothing for self and all for others. I imagine that would be a pretty good way to decontaminate the spirit, consistent with the dynamic of elimination of the dross of our nature in order to find the essential.

• Like 1

the master continued, "one who practices virtue and selflessness should not hold any particular idea in his mind about how to fulfill his virtue, for virtue is the very nature of one's being. One should always be willing to assist others selflessly and unconditionally by offering one's skills and achievements to serve them. One should be willing to give away the things one cherishes most and even offer one's life to assist others.

"One should not restrict one's service by making distinctions based on colour, nationality, family or social relationships, sensory perceptions or any other relative conditions. To restrict the ways in which one would render service to others in order to suite one's personal preferences is potentially harmful.

"Kind prince, if one relates to others and serves them according to his own design, it is as if he had entered darkness and was blind. He might help some people by chance and he might also injure some, but if one does not limit oneself by imposing special terms on his service, then he is like a person with good vision who sees clearly and whose influence is purely positive.

"Following the Universal Way of life means practising selflessness and extending virtue to the world unconditionally.In this way one not only eliminates the heavy contamination accumulated throughout many lifetimes, but may also bring about the possibility of resorting one's original divine nature and becoming an integral being of the multi-universe.This is the only way to dissolve the self-created agony, misery and tragedy that are experienced in one's daily life.

"Every expression of life is the reality of life.One's every movement and activity evoke a response from the subtle energy of the universe. When one does not limit himself by imposing conditions on rendering service to others, the blessings evoked will also be limitless."

Ni's HHC 4

Edited by Mal Stainkey

Because Te (virtue) is our original nature, undefiled by 'every departure from the Dao which contaminates one's spirit'.(as it says in the above passage) This is saying that the way to remove the contamination, over the cycle of lifetimes, is to practice virtue in the sense of wanting nothing for self and all for others. I imagine that would be a pretty good way to decontaminate the spirit, consistent with the dynamic of elimination of the dross of our nature in order to find the essential.

Thanks Manitou. I finally brought it full circle to understand that Te is our original nature. This original nature does not contain anger or other emotions that cause sickness (in fact, there are 7 destructive emotions in TCM that destroy our Chi and imbalance our yin and yang).

Wow. This was definitely profound. The reason I find this profound is because I am sure we all can apply this to our lives. We can all strive towards more righteous living.

I feel like I need to take up some volunteer hours! Hah! This is a great one.

Sign in to follow this