Sign in to follow this  
skydog

Forcing yourself not to preach/deliver good messages

This is an excellent thread. I have wrestled with this idea for a few years. I once ran a Buddhist sangha and after a year of opening it had some experiences that totally changed my view of what Buddha was trying to convey and the simplicity of his teachings. So there were times where people would open up to the group with what could be terrible things occuring in their life and consequently they would feel that their faith was not working for them as they had hoped.

At first I would offer things like "you may want to consider this element of that teaching", which would either help or utterly confuse them. I then worked on toning things down so it became a sharing but still a decision had to be made sometimes as to "do I help nudge people in direction X or sit quietly and let things go?" - it is very hard and we need to be careful that what is drawing us to speak is not ego but our Heart.

I no longer listen to the thoughts in my head, I just wait for that deep space within me to see if it wishes to express itself in some way. Once I let go of the thought of helping people be right from wrong I realised that what was there was coming from me somehow - the Tao, our true-nature being utterly settled is undisturbed by ignorance or knowing. Whether people understand or not changes nothing. May be the world would be more peaceful though.

Some of you may have seen my post regarding the plan to set up a Taoist group on this forum. If so, you will notice the emphasis on sharing and letting the group wisdom be expressed. We all have that wisdom in us, whether awakened or not. It has a way of finding itself.

A flower does not go chasing after the bee, it does not worry what it attracts, it knows all it must do is be a flower and the Way will take care of the rest.

Best wishes my friends and I look forward to reading more of your excellent posts.

Heath

• Like 3

This is an excellent thread. I have wrestled with this idea for a few years. I once ran a Buddhist sangha and after a year of opening it had some experiences that totally changed my view of what Buddha was trying to convey and the simplicity of his teachings. So there were times where people would open up to the group with what could be terrible things occuring in their life and consequently they would feel that their faith was not working for them as they had hoped.

At first I would offer things like "you may want to consider this element of that teaching", which would either help or utterly confuse them. I then worked on toning things down so it became a sharing but still a decision had to be made sometimes as to "do I help nudge people in direction X or sit quietly and let things go?" - it is very hard and we need to be careful that what is drawing us to speak is not ego but our Heart.

I no longer listen to the thoughts in my head, I just wait for that deep space within me to see if it wishes to express itself in some way. Once I let go of the thought of helping people be right from wrong I realised that what was there was coming from me somehow - the Tao, our true-nature being utterly settled is undisturbed by ignorance or knowing. Whether people understand or not changes nothing. May be the world would be more peaceful though.

Some of you may have seen my post regarding the plan to set up a Taoist group on this forum. If so, you will notice the emphasis on sharing and letting the group wisdom be expressed. We all have that wisdom in us, whether awakened or not. It has a way of finding itself.

A flower does not go chasing after the bee, it does not worry what it attracts, it knows all it must do is be a flower and the Way will take care of the rest.

Best wishes my friends and I look forward to reading more of your excellent posts.

Heath

I wish that I could "like"this post even more :)

I really hope that your group happens - it will be wonderful if it does.

• Like 1

I wish that I could "like"this post even more :)

I really hope that your group happens - it will be wonderful if it does.

Thanks my friend! Fingers crossed :)

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this