hannah

Hello

Hi my name is hannah I am 16 yrs old and a sophmore in highschool I have stumbled apon this Taoism religion and I am very interested in it because I am asian and I would like to have a religion of my people

so can you tell me which book should I read the Tao of Pooh or Tao Te Ching

also can you tell me exactly what Taoism is I still am a little confused

Hi Hannah, my personal favourite book for the Tao and for life itself, actually, the only one i ever read now, is the "HUA HU CHING"

it is said to be a collection of Lao Tzu's later writings.

i'ts availible on amazon.

Hi my name is hannah I am 16 yrs old and a sophmore in highschool I have stumbled apon this Taoism religion and I am very interested in it because I am asian and I would like to have a religion of my people

so can you tell me which book should I read the Tao of Pooh or Tao Te Ching

also can you tell me exactly what Taoism is I still am a little confused

The tao of Pooh will be better, but best for you, I think would be to get a book titled Chronicles of Tao in order to learn about Taoism.

Taoism is many things, but at core level it is a way of looking at life which allows us to flow more efficiently along with the things that happen in our lives .......... and how to make people fall down without touching them, stuff like that.

Hello Hannah and Welcome! Personally I would recommend checking out a few different translations of the Tao Te Ching. Be sure to check that it is a "translation" not an "interpretation", some people just use other translations of the Tao Te Ching and "put it in their own words". The Tao of Pooh is also a good read, and attempts to relate the philosophy of the Tao to the western world. As for the Chronicles of Tao, I have to disagree with Starjumper. While it is a good book, and highlights the differences in practices ( i.e. pointing out that while the main character is a celibate monk, some of those he trained with utilized sexual practices, some practice magic, others don't etc.), I tend to be wary of those who attempt to pass off fiction as nonfiction. It is entertaining but it doesn't actually teach much of anything, it's a story, not a textbook. I have not read the Hua Hu Ching, but will now look into it. Also check out the writings of Chuang Tsu. His wit, and ability to convey the paradox of the Tao are second to none. I recommend the Gai-fu feng & Jane English translation of Chuang Tsu and the Tao Te Ching. Make sure though as stated above, to look at different translations though. No one version can properly convey the "real" meaning of the original Classical Chinese. Other than that, for the Tao, do as Lao Tsu and others taught, look, observe and reach toward stillness. The Tao in the end teaches itself. No author can write the book that is already written in your heart.

Edited by Taoist81

The Tao in the end teaches itself. No author can write the book that is already written in your heart.

I agree, unless they were writing in connection with the universal heart.

that's why i recomended the hua hu ching - it sings to my heart and my heart recognises it.

Hannah, i admire you for seeking to learn more about the tao, especially because you are only 16. an age when most others couldn't care less.

you must be a mature soul.

Like Taoist81 says, listen to the silence in your heart and you'll recognise the tao within and without.

I just ordered both tao of pooh and tao te ching

I'm so excited cause the tao te ching is pocket size so i can carry it every where in school and stuff and read it when we have free time :)

I'm so excited cause the tao te ching is pocket size so i can carry it every where

Cool, I can still remember the first time I read it, thinking "now this is what the Bible should be like" :)

As mentioned, there are many translations, some will "speak" to you more than others but it's fun to read a few different ones just to see the different interpretations that people make.

Enjoy

Hi Hannah welcome to the site.

Taoism in practice and philosophy is pretty big. For me it boils down to; body and soul are a microcosm of the universe. Thats it, the rest is just practice :) .

If you get into the Tao Te Ching, one of the best resources on the web is this:

http://home.pages.at/onkellotus/TTK/_IndexTTK.html its a comparative guide to dozens of translations. The best literal, mystical and practical translations and they can be compared to each other line by line.

Don't hesitate to join in on discussions here. As a beginner you're probably closer to the tao then most of us here and only one step backward to being a master.

Yours

Michael

Hi Hannah,

I offer a web-page with many links to Taoist sites @

http://www.pdgart.com/lipnf.html

I for one am a proponant of the I Ching (or Yi Jing ) - being the root of Taoist thought. It is far more complex and difficult to fathom than the Tao te Ching, but offers the whole universe as well...

Most think of it as a book of divination, which it can be, but it is much more than that. It opens up into the Taoist view of how we may become atuned to the Tao in our day to day interactions with the vast experience of this life...I've been studying it for almost 40 years and it still offers new insights into my own mind and how I relate to the world around me...

Welcome to the bums!!!-Pat