Sign in to follow this  
eye_of_the_storm

Life Is A Dream

As I said.

Beheaded but still running around

Well, you guys can go ahead and suffer now because it is my supper time and then I go vegetate in front of the boob tube.

See y'all in the morning.

no one can help another escape suffering.

how can one escape from some temporary and ever-changing thoughts about how unsatisfactory one's current position is?

Step into the fire, face the suffering, and it will then transform.

Sometimes into greater hardship, and sometimes relief.

But change it will.

Since the condition is not permanent, and everything changes all the time,

Who is the one who suffers?

Where is this complex, permanent mind which suffers?

• Like 1

no one can help another escape suffering.

Funny. I agree with you but I disagree with you. Yes, perhaps I am waffling. Hehehe.

As I have stated previously, I like to keep 'pain' and 'suffering' as separate concepts. And I do consider pain as being physical and suffering as being psychological.

So, if the suffering is a result of pain then all that needs be done is remove the pain and the suffering will no longer have grounds to exist. Feed a starving person and the pain of hunger is removed, and, the suffering from the pain is also removed. Give that person support, a job perhaps so that the person can earn resources to keep themself fed and that pain and suffering will never return.

However, I agree with you that if the suffering has no grounds in physical reality, that is, the suffering is a result of illusion and/or delusion, a result of ego or greed, then there is little anyone else can do to ease that person;s suffering. They themself must take action to reduce or remove the suffering. But then good guidance from someone with the proper knowledge might be able to lead them down a better path.

• Like 1

It could be suggested that the desire/effort to help other people alleviate their suffering is important as it is selfless. Selfless effort is different from effort directed for ones benefit. In my experience the selfless effort protects the mind from undesirable influences. Going for refuge mantra (mind protection).

It could be suggested that the desire/effort to help other people alleviate their suffering is important as it is selfless. Selfless effort is different from effort directed for ones benefit. In my experience the selfless effort protects the mind from undesirable influences. Going for refuge mantra (mind protection).

Yeah, you got really deep with that post. I know what you are saying and I do agree with it in total. It is just that most of us can't get that deep in 'real' life. It is very difficult to have an effect without first having a cause.

In my experience when suffering has burnt you up completely, surrender comes naturally. When it is seen that all that you fight for, is responsible for your suffering, you give it up.

Then the only thing you end up fighting for is nothing. When you fight for nothing, you surrender to everything.

Standing too long

one wishes to sit down.

Ah, the relief...

Sitting too long

one wishes to stand and stretch

Ah, the relief...

There is a difference between seeking relief and actual permanent freedom from mind fetters.

I agree with MH that there is a difference between pain and suffering. Sometimes the difference is most evident, at other times, quite blurry.

But the suffering talked about in Buddhism is not of this kind.

The suffering spoken of is more fundamental.

Its to do with ingrained habits.

And then, what to do to oust these deeply entrenched patterns which drives and perpetuates ignorance and delusion.

But, MH, i do get your point. And its valid of course.

In my experience when suffering has burnt you up completely, surrender comes naturally. When it is seen that all that you fight for, is responsible for your suffering, you give it up.

Then the only thing you end up fighting for is nothing. When you fight for nothing, you surrender to everything.

Yes, that can happen and has happened so many time already. Perhaps the 'cause' for fighting was an illogical or unjust 'cause'?

Of course, this goes all the way back to the question: What is the purpose of life?

Sign in to follow this