Protector

Christianity is not against Homosexuality or anything like that

OK I'M BUMPING THIS ONE FOR THE LAST TIME BECAUSE I FOUND THE FINAL NAIL TO HAMMER DOWN THIS TOPIC AND THIS IS AMAZING

Listen, so I've said that homosexuality was not even a proper word to be used and was not persecuted until later

It was kinda obvious, but I found the exact guy who was the first one to start the whole anti-homosexuality movement thing

It was the same one who hijacked the church, took away women's rights, and wrote a whole bunch of baloney under a pretense of being an apostle

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you,

PAUL

There is an interesting situation in Australia happening at the moment. The Marriage Equality debate has gained alot of momentum, and is as close to getting through parliament as it has ever been. However, there is an anti-discrimination bill being formed where sexual orientation & gender identity are in the process of being debated & defined for inclusion, and the church want an exemtion from that part of the act. ie free to discriminate against sexual orientation. The Prime Minister has all but agreed to The Australian Christian Lobby that they will be exempt. This would not be an issue if it were in regards to not hiring a like minded person with traditional christian values as staff to the church, as the church should have their own domain. But it does become an issue when they would be free to discriminate with hiring staff for public services that they provide to the community.

The separation of church and state is an old issue. To be clear about where I am coming from, I am highly respectful of the Bible and Christian practice, though I personally do not believe the Bible to be the direct word of God to be translated and interpreted literally. I interpret its value allegorically.

Thus, in progressive churches, we have seen the ordination of women, and the acceptance of gay priests in modern times. I dont imagine that all churches, let alone general society, will ever be free of prejudice, but hopefully over time there will be less & less of it. The exemptions from anti-discriminatory laws would be a real step back in time if they were to pass.

Here are a few links to the debate:

The issues:

http://d68ej2dhhub09.cloudfront.net/323-Discrimination_FAQ.pdf

The impact:

http://www.gaynewsnetwork.com.au/news/northern-territory/10377-anti-discrimination-bill-sidelines-lgbti-people.html

though I personally do not believe the Bible to be the direct word of God to be translated and interpreted literally.

No one thinks that way and whoever does is an idiot

For the longest time the Bible didn't even exist, there only existed a collection of books and the modern bible is only a small part of that. A bunch of people decided to make a version for common people but they didn't think it through, and so they even put stuff written by Paul into it.

No one thinks that way and whoever does is an idiot

For the longest time the Bible didn't even exist, there only existed a collection of books and the modern bible is only a small part of that. A bunch of people decided to make a version for common people but they didn't think it through, and so they even put stuff written by Paul into it.

Dear Lord, Protector! Most Christians think this way, its a fundemental tenent of Christian belief. Just turn on your TV on a Sunday morning.

I dont object to what you are saying otherwise. If Peter the apostle had his way, Christianity would have been restricted exclusively to the Jewish people alone, but you may be, er, well, minimalising & generalising the history of a living tradition here just a little :blush:

Interesting point here though, from the culmination of books included & excluded into what would become "The Bible" at the Nicean Creed 325AD, the common people were excluded from the bible & its meaning & practice due to it being written in Latin. Even the church services were in Latin, so no one could even understand what was being said, apart from the preaching in their own native tongue. Martin Luther changed that with the protestant reformation a staggering 1200 years later!

(Edit: added last paragraph)

Edited by Sanzon

I turned on to one of these programs one morning, I got late and so I just watched the charity drive about better cups or something.

Right after that there was another program and the first thing the guy said on it was something close to this

"We just finished the two weeks of discussion about homosexuality and why it's wrong. Today we are starting the abortion week."

THE HELL DOES THAT HAS TO DO WITH ANYTHING!!!

THEY FILLED TWO WEEKS OF AIRTIME WITH STUPID CRAP AND THEY STILL WANT MORE

I also remember watching a Eastern Orthodox program on Russian TV and they actually mentioned a few verses, but right after that there was a talk about how these verses reference how no one wants to go to church anymore.

aaaaaaaaah

It's so annoying