Sign in to follow this  
Flolfolil

Conditions for animals to be reborn as humans?

pretty much said it all in the title. Also i don't buy the "humans are the highest animal" thing as i believe we are just different - not better. So that rules out "spend some time as a lower animal not doing anything special, then you auto reincarnate as a human" for me.

I cant speak for anyone else , but I figure reincarnation might actually

work the other way around , you progress from the most illogical state

of being a human to the most reasonable state ( like a barnacle )

Losing trash as you go.

you progress from the most illogical state

of being a human to the most reasonable state ( like a barnacle )

Losing trash as you go.

Dunno if i agree if it is trash that we are losing, but i have also contemplated on the thought that in losing understanding you gain a certain quality of living in the moment that would be favorable to some.

pretty much said it all in the title. Also i don't buy the "humans are the highest animal" thing as i believe we are just different - not better. So that rules out "spend some time as a lower animal not doing anything special, then you auto reincarnate as a human" for me.

I have thought about this too I don't understand how an animal can gain merit to become a human, it doesn't seem to make sense as an animal just does what it does instinctively. Although evolutionary and scientifically speaking humans are more advanced and higher than animals, this is a fact.

I went to a Dalai Lama teaching recently where he was talking about karma joking about how those people who love their dogs so much that they spend all of their life looking after them that in the next life they are likely to become a dog, lol, so maybe if a dog spends lots of time with humans and becomes domesticated that they start thinking that they are like a human so they will be reincarnated as a human.

So maybe if you spend your life doing base things like fighting and sex then you might be reincarnated as an animal as there is little difference between what you focus on as a human and what an animal focuses on, so there is little difference what body you take. So maybe if an animal spends all their time nurturing they might become a human through their compassion, who knows.

Edited by Jetsun

Ive heard the.... koan..? , 'does a dog have buddha nature?'

If you consider a dog which lives in the moment

in a state as satisfied as it can be

free of much inhibition guilt etc..

and many of the attatchments we can have

survive at our own expense by being friendly

satisfied to not be in charge

wisdom wise, it may be a step up ,

even if they do lick their parts.

Is not the popular refrain to become as the uncarved wood

live by ones teh ?

as Flol said

', but i have also contemplated on the thought that in losing understanding you gain a certain quality of living in the moment that would be favorable to some.'

Does becoming human seem like improvement if the best one can hope for is an end to rebirth?

Going the other way towards barnacles or slime one would become more elemental

more in tune with tao simpler and complete in virtue ,, and one would still come to an end of rebirth

We The general public, may flatter ourselves at the big brains we hoist but could it be that evolution may simply be counterflow to enlightenment ?

Edited by Stosh

The dog has little or no self consciousness of what it is though... maybe.. so it may have Buddha nature but is not aware of it.

Humans have self consciousness, which drives most of us insane, but has the potential for us to witness what we really are and what existence is all about.

The dog has little or no self consciousness of what it is though... maybe.. so it may have Buddha nature but is not aware of it.

Humans have self consciousness, which drives most of us insane, but has the potential for us to witness what we really are and what existence is all about.

Fair enough , but I dont really know what a dogs experience of existance is,

so I cant ,fairly, rule them out of the party .

There's an old 2nd year philosophy exam question....

"What is it like to be a bat"?

Discuss with illustrative reference to the literature.

These days we are much kinder to our 2nd year undergrads, they can be assessed on course work, no exam.

Edited by GrandmasterP

There's an old 2nd year philosophy exam question....

"What is it like to be a bat"?

Discuss with illustrative reference to the literature.

These days we are much kinder to our 2nd year undergrads, they can be assessed on course work, no exam.

A cricket bat maybe ... no I mean a genetic hybrid between an insect and a flying mammal ...

It's a trick question.

Google it and you'll maybe see why.

They got wise to it after a few years and these days exams are very de rig, it's all course work and interpretive dance (presentations) nowadays.

Although evolutionary and scientifically speaking humans are more advanced and higher than animals, this is a fact.

I disagree. When you ask about whether certain being is more advanced than another, you always have to ask "In reference to what". Yeah, obviously us humans are more advanced than any other animal when it comes to things like intelligence or culture, but who ever said that those are the things that matter? That's in a way a very anthropocentric view. And of course the human species is going to come out on top if you set an anthropocentric standard.

But, as has been put forth in this thread, our human intelligence might not be so helpful and awesome after all. So why should it be the standard and not speed, strength, age, resistance to external influences, importance for the wellbeing of the whole biosphere or something completely different?

Basically, what I want to say is that science itself does not tell you anything about what species is most advanced. That's just not the kind of statement (natural) science can make, as it always takes someone to set subjective criteria for what it means to be "advanced".

Edited by madMUHHH
  • Like 1

Buy a Dog, let him sleep in your bed with you, talk to him, humanize him, conect with him.

And woila!

(careful not to be born a dog next reincarnation)

ps 1 * just jokin*

ps 2 *or am I?*

Sign in to follow this