forestofemptiness

Problems with the Study of Objectless Consciousness

Hi Dwai, :)

Gee, you are much too modest..

I can see where you are coming from, after reading this article on "Consciousness, Cosmology, and Science: An Advaitic Analysis" from your website:

link: http://www.medhajournal.com/resident-philosopher/951-consciousness-cosmology-and-science-an-advaitic-analysis.html

So, yes, there is no distinction between consciousness and awareness in that article.. The word "awareness" isn't used.

And, it is interesting that in that quote, he says that "no one can picture or visualize consciousness", yet, it is the easiest thing in the world to know that one is conscious.

I'll quit bothering you..

Thanks for the discussion.

All the best..

:)

TI

Hi TI

Please dont get me wrong. After the buddhabum battles right here on ttb, i'm a little circumspect about engaging people on semantics. Like i pointed out, semantics are merely descriptors and the truth lies partially hidden behind them.

I would say dr puligandla's article very succinctly articulates my locus standi.

You werent bothering me...i just dont enjoy long winded debates any more :)

To clear up any possible residual confusion about this for anyone who doesn't speak French - La Conscience is Consciousness/Awareness.

://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscience (and I'm not citing the article as authority on content but only as an authority on translation of Consciousness/Awareness)

As I've said before the definition that I'm using for Consciousness/Awareness is "that which is reading these words" (ce qui lit ces mots).

The reason that I am very interested in all of this is because many times, in the morning, I find myself lying in bed and all that I am aware of is a tiny point that simply feels like 'me'. There are no thoughts, no visions, nothing to do or see. It is a very simple state. Then, my alarm goes off and then everything whooshes by and reality is created once again. I can detect thoughts, the sensations of the body, see the bedroom.. I was thinking that the tiny point that feels like 'me' could be called awareness, and that from it consciousness came back to life and the world appeared.. For what it is worth, that tiny point has no object, at least there is no witness, the only thing it has is the 'feeling of me'. I was reading in some Buddhist texts that the eighth level of consciousness is the one before the last level; the eighth level is the level of consciousness that contains the 'feeling of self'. I was wondering if that is the state of the tiny point..

It's the exact same way for me...

There is an Awareness, an Observer in the head, which is not the Object, but is the purest form of Subject.

Only difference here, is that this point of "Me" also at times leaves the body, floats around, is non-local, I have remembered this point of Awareness pre-existing prior to the Body being born, and get this ...

....in surrender, this point falls into the chest area, and there, like a drop of water falling into the Ocean, is no more ...then there is Only Oneness everywhere and nowhere....

...matches up for the most part with what Tibetan Ice says

Edited by ॐDominicusॐ

It's the exact same way for me...

There is an Awareness, an Observer in the head, which is not the Object, but is the purest form of Subject.

Only difference here, is that this point of "Me" also at times leaves the body, floats around, is non-local, I have remembered this point of Awareness pre-existing prior to the Body being born, and get this ...

....in surrender, this point falls into the chest area, and there, like a drop of water falling into the Ocean, is no more ...then there is Only Oneness everywhere and nowhere....

...matches up for the most part with what Tibetan Ice says

So it's an experience that comes and goes?

So it's an experience that comes and goes?

hard to explain..... the subjectivity/observer/awareness is permanently there no matter what, even in deep sleep ........however, the Oneness, is also there .....but perspective/position/thought ...various factors effect the relationship between Awareness and it's Source.

Sometimes, I am subjective/observer/awareness ...and sometimes there is only the Oneness .......at this point it's either one or the other, yet they are inherently linked like a glass of water and a lake.

When the Oneness is not there, this brings up various vasanas to let go off in subconscious spring cleaning ...in the One, there is Only that, nothing apart, everything included, yet no me there anymore.

Words are difficult and paradoxical to explain this

• Like 1

hard to explain..... the subjectivity/observer/awareness is permanently there no matter what, even in deep sleep ........however, the Oneness, is also there .....but perspective/position/thought ...various factors effect the relationship between Awareness and it's Source.

Sometimes, I am subjective/observer/awareness ...and sometimes there is only the Oneness .......at this point it's either one or the other, yet they are inherently linked like a glass of water and a lake.

When the Oneness is not there, this brings up various vasanas to let go off in subconscious spring cleaning ...in the One, there is Only that, nothing apart, everything included, yet no me there anymore.

Words are difficult and paradoxical to explain this

Thank you for the excellent description. :)

Do you find that it seems like there is always more subconscious cleaning to do? And, as the cleaning progress the seems to be expanded/more integrated oneness?

Best, Jeff

Thank you for the excellent description. :)

Do you find that it seems like there is always more subconscious cleaning to do? And, as the cleaning progress the seems to be expanded/more integrated oneness?

Best, Jeff

All the sub-conscious material is illusuory in nature ...so in One perspective none of it matters. At the same time, there are memories there, of pre-existing prior to body, of times aeons ago, of childhood traumas and massive structures built around those, of fears, etc etc .....all of which when seen as illusion and embraced with openness, in a sense dissolves those aspects and then that leaves more openness, longer periods merged in Oneness, bliss, various channels opening up or spinning or doing strange things.....

The subconscious spring cleaning is kind of a self adaptive mechanism based on a self reference on the mind... it does bring wholeness/completeness, and very deep rooted letting go of all things and perfect detachments from everything. The more the spring cleaning/letting go, seen for what it is commences, the deeper rooted is the Oneness, and all the other sign posts along the way ...with Nobody there to see any of this ...ha!!!! ...still so strange to talk about a self that s seen as illusion.