Sign in to follow this  
DalTheJigsaw123

I Am Thinking of Trying To Get Into An MBA Program...

Does anyone have any experiences, thoughts, ideas or anything you guys can share with me? I am 2 months away from getting my BS in Psychology and I was thinking of getting my Masters in Counseling, but the student loans is going to be too much, ($50,000) and it will not be a good investment, as I will not be able to pay it off. I was looking into getting my MBA and then focusing on Project Management, Marketing or Management...

Thanks,

Leon

Edited by LeonBasin

AFAIK, MBA can be done part time. I'd strongly encourage you to start building your professional career along with the part time MBA (or any other professional designation) study. Grow in your workplace and amplify that growth with your study. In my view and experience, it is easier to find meaningful job with sort of middle education than with the highest. Overeducation is a big no in hiring process.

I'm assuming you aren't working right now as you have mentioned pretty big student loan. Sorry if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

MBA?!? Craaazzy.

Definitely get a few years of experience in a field before you even consider it. Depending where you are in the world 50k for an MBA sounds average range.

Why do you want an MBA?

If you want to get an International MBA, you can easily get full scholarship at a Taiwanese University. There's quite a few who want foreign students for their programs and willing to give the places away. Check tealit.com for adverts. I think Taichung is a decent place.

Im not really pro-MBA, but I understand its hard to think of life in the "real world" after being a student so long.

• Like 1

Faculty administrators refer to MBA as.....

Moneyspinner...Beats Anything.

MBAs sell well,cost little to resource and attract wealthy overseas students.

Mrs GrandmasterP did an MBAEd at Keele and that pays as it's the qual of choice for those recruiting senior managers for educational establishments but a generic MBA...waste of money. Do your own via floating a business. That's what most of the big hitters have done.

If you don't fancy commerce then with what Psych quals you will have soon Life Coaches get a nice living if they know where and how to advertise. Plus it's an easy start up. Just remember not to giggle when clients are paying you. Wait til they've left your office.

• Like 1

AFAIK, MBA can be done part time. I'd strongly encourage you to start building your professional career along with the part time MBA (or any other professional designation) study. Grow in your workplace and amplify that growth with your study. In my view and experience, it is easier to find meaningful job with sort of middle education than with the highest. Overeducation is a big no in hiring process.

I'm assuming you aren't working right now as you have mentioned pretty big student loan. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Nah, I do work. Full-Time. I'm in Marketing, Merchandising and Supervising area. I work for BlackHawkNetwork. Been with them 2 years now. I want to find something.

If you want to get an International MBA, you can easily get full scholarship at a Taiwanese University. There's quite a few who want foreign students for their programs and willing to give the places away. Check tealit.com for adverts. I think Taichung is a decent place.

Im not really pro-MBA, but I understand its hard to think of life in the "real world" after being a student so long.

Thank you!

I am considering, not sure what will happen. The student loans thing is brutal, not sure if it will work out. BUt great idea! Thank you so much!

Thank you!

I am considering, not sure what will happen. The student loans thing is brutal, not sure if it will work out. BUt great idea! Thank you so much!

Faculty administrators refer to MBA as.....

Moneyspinner...Beats Anything.

MBAs sell well,cost little to resource and attract wealthy overseas students.

Mrs GrandmasterP did an MBAEd at Keele and that pays as it's the qual of choice for those recruiting senior managers for educational establishments but a generic MBA...waste of money. Do your own via floating a business. That's what most of the big hitters have done.

If you don't fancy commerce then with what Psych quals you will have soon Life Coaches get a nice living if they know where and how to advertise. Plus it's an easy start up. Just remember not to giggle when clients are paying you. Wait til they've left your office.

Lol! GOod point! Thank you!

Its a good path to those middle management jobs that are among the first to get trimmed back when a company finds itself in a tight spot from playing too much with the roulette wheel ;) There's already a glut of generic MBAs, bubble proportions just like generic college degrees - remember anything the government gets its hands on and starts subsidizing, you see the price curve start to steepen, what with being backed by "the full faith and credit" and all...

Its a good path to those middle management jobs that are among the first to get trimmed back when a company finds itself in a tight spot from playing too much with the roulette wheel ;) There's already a glut of generic MBAs, bubble proportions just like generic college degrees - remember anything the government gets its hands on and starts subsidizing, you see the price curve start to steepen, what with being backed by "the full faith and credit" and all...

That was beautiful!:) Helps a lot! Thanks!

Unless you want to spend the rest of your life in the confines of a cubicle, I'd suggest you think of something else. I have serious doubts that you would enjoy being an office manager, or marketing manager for that matter. My suggestion is that you look into something that you enjoy doing and invest your time in that. Monetary wealth means very little if you're not happy. Work will take up nearly a third of day, make sure that third is spent doing something you like, or at the very least can tolerate. I would suggest trying to find a PhD program for psychology or maybe look into teaching. The world is always in need of teachers.

Aaron

P.S. I think you were actually looking for someone to steer you clear of an MBA, if so Joe and I have given you that, so now you can start looking into something you think you might enjoy.

Edited by Aaron

Sign in to follow this