Sign in to follow this  
daojones

Solo Backpacking to Thailand...Southeast Asia

I'm basically packing up and heading out on a solo trip. I have almost absolutely nothing planned and leaving soon! Kinda nervous, because I'm the type that plans everything. Only plans I have so far are going to tao garden in thailand.

Was wondering if anyone has had experiences traveling solo or trekking in south asia. I have no idea what I am going to do and would love to hear any ideas. I want to avoid the drinkfest backpacker vibe. I am going on this trip to learn and grow, and was hoping to find some teachers, retreats, or good hubs to hang around.

If you have chance drop by the North Eastern of Thailand part in Ubon Ratchathani;

A temple with history with heritagewith the forest traditions,

Venerable Sumedho should still be around.

http://www.watnongpa....org/indexe.php

Another I could think of is Venerable Mitsuo

He is in the Kanchanaburi Province.

Still there are many retreats, and teachers.

They were seekers as well when they visited Thailand.

Atleast you should be able to communicate with them.

Good luck and may your trip be full of wisdom and good fruits. :D

P.S. If there's anything, drop me a pm.

I lived in the Surat Thani and occasionally go to Bangkok and the Chiang Mai area.

Will be glad to help a fellow bums.

Edited by XieJia

May your journey be delightfully filled with discovery and wonder!! :)

(XieJia's the man in Thailand. If it was me, i would definitely hook up with him.)

I recommend a fantastic travel book to you, 'The Gods Drink Whiskey, Stumbling for Enlightenment in the Land of the Tattered Buddha'. Well written, a bit more Cambodia then Thailand, but you'll get a wonderful sense of the place. Despite the tittle its not about a 'drinkfest', its about a professor of Buddhism going to teach in Cambodia and his travels there. He beautifully captures the reality and wonders of the people and religion, as well as the trials of an American in the East. Its one of the books I picked up at the library then had to buy for my collection.

Here's an amazon link: www.amazon.com/Gods-Drink-Whiskey-Stumbling.../0060834501

I'm reminded of the book 'Iron and Silk' for a touch of an American teaching english and studying hard core martial arts in China, or for an Aikido approach in Japan 'Dirty White Pajamas'.

There's probably a perfect travel adventure book out there written by someone in just your situation who's come back.

Edited by thelerner

Gerard - I am concerned about the food! I have a very sensitive digestive system and anticipate things will be difficult. Ya, it looks commercial, but it's easily accessible because of this - I like that. Perhaps you know of some super secret places I can cultivate my psychic powers :P?

XieJia - Thanks for the recommendation :) It is quite possible I will be in touch!

thelerner - looks like an awesome book and just what I needed. Perhaps there is a genre of such types of books?

Jones,

if you are coming quite soon;

You might be in time for our vegan festival where there will be

also of tasty vegetable dishes around.

If you are not good at eating spicy stuff, there are still many mild dishes that you can enjoy

and if you ask the people making/preparing food for you for the non-spicy variants;

I am sure they will happily oblige.

Edited by XieJia

Hopefully I will be coming the beginning of November - is the festival then?

I'm ok with medium spicy. But, worried about wheat, random ingredients, getting meat juice mixed in with my food. Also, water. I've had water in foreign countries and it is just harder on my system :(

The festival will be during october 14th to the october 23rd, but don't worry.

You shouldn't have problem in towns area, in some of the retreats or temple; things could be different.

If you can cook, then there shouldn't be any problem as well.

There are some retreats that grows their own organic vegetables <- these are very nice.

Are you observing 'vegan' or 'vegetarianism'?

Our tap water are not good for drinking so I would recommend bottled water or boiled water only.

When you mentioned "random ingredients" -> m.s.g. comes to mind (might be hard to avoid but possible)

Oh, and "medium" spicy can varies from place to place;

I don't have much problem eating spicy food in any parts of Thailand but except the South (which I live in :unsure:);

So normally I will have to ask them for "Bangkok spicy please", it seems to be because of the kind of chillies and peppers they are using.

Some useful phrase just for fun :D

ฉัน/กิน/อาหาร/เจ <- (chan/kin/aahaan/jay) meaning "I eat vegan food"

ฉัน/กิน/อาหาร/มังสะ or มังสวิรัติ <- (chan/kin/aahaan/mangsa or mangsawirat) meaning "I eat vegetarian food"

Hope you have a nice enjoyable trip,

P.S.

Like everywhere in the world, we Thais are generally nice and chilled people, however there still are some of us who likes to make quick bucks from foreigners. Hope you don't meet any of those but to be on the safe side, travel smart and be street smart. Take care

Sign in to follow this