healingtouch

Divination

What is your favorite method of divination?

Reason I ask is because I have tried the coin toss method and I find it very time consuming compared to the tarot or Mo (the tibetan divination system). However, a third adviser would be very beneficial, so I'm willing to give the I ching another try if someone could teach me a quicker method.

And speaking of, is the finger method the immortals and deities use in movies based on anything real?

Guest RBSA

I am not a professional in these things but once , while cutting some capsicum and arranging them , i received a lot of revelation . It ' s been a while and i don ' t remember much but working physically could be a method . :)

Reason I ask is because I have tried the coin toss method and I find it very time consuming compared to the tarot or Mo (the tibetan divination system). However, a third adviser would be very beneficial, so I'm willing to give the I ching another try if someone could teach me a quicker method.

And speaking of, is the finger method the immortals and deities use in movies based on anything real?

Eeni Meni Minni Moe is very fast.

Give that a try.

Taoistic Idiot

The fastest method is the online I Ching. Whether it will give accurate answers to someone who hasn't spent the prior ten years or so with the slow method, I don't know. I use yarrow stalks (can take an hour) to question the oracle on the most important matters, coins for regular divinations, online readings for whims.

What should we expect from divination?

I've liked having my fortune done, mostly for its value as a Rorschach test, making me focus on specific aspects of my life. I see I Ching and tarot as good examples of this, versus other mediums that portend to be very specific.

Divination is an amazing tool to help one choose between qigong forms to do daily for example. Instead of doing a form for months and finding out, the hard way, that it hasn't had a lot of benefits, you could divinate ahead of time what the effects will be for a few forms and choose the one that would have the most desired effect. With the tarot, where one of the cards is the life force card, one can see very well what the effect will be for any Qigong form from a very individual point of view. Same with taking a herb or supplement and a ton of others situations, where it is preferable to have a little window opened into the future instead of testing it personally.

however, with the Iching, I see that it predicts Yang turning into Yin and vice versa so I'm thinking it could be a even more powerful tool in a qigong practice for picking the proper forms, diet, breathing strategies, etc. whether one wants to become more Yang or more Yin.

Edited by healingtouch

Those who look for an explanation as to what divination is outside the traditional understanding (to wit, a method to get in touch with the unseen energies of the world) are being true to their conditioning. They were made to believe what they believe by exact and selective developmental measures administered -- what a former winner of the Best Teacher in New York Award calls "weapons of mass instruction."

The normal and natural way for a human being never threatened with these weapons is to understand the signs and symbols. We evolved through our ability to read these signs in nature and in each other and in our communities, we couldn't survive if we ignored or misunderstood them. Adding "civilized" tools like the I Ching is the natural continuation of this human talent of being in touch with the unseen energies of the world.

This talent, destroyed with extreme prejudice in most, can be reclaimed. It's like the perfect pitch -- if you are tone deaf but start practicing playing an instrument, you develop it, if you don't, chances are you're tone deaf for life. I would recommend taking up a divination practice just to see who you really are minus the conditioning, how far you can go in your new and improved connections with the energies you used to be deaf and blind to. It takes about as long to get proficient as, e.g., the violin. But it's a far more universal and natural talent than the violin. It's just dormant. Wake it up with a divination routine, get the I Ching's attention, she won't talk to you much if you're a stranger, an idle traveler through what you believe to be your own subconscious. Your subconscious is nowhere near big enough for this oracle, don't try to squeeze her into a pigeonhole, she's way bigger than you can begin to fathom until you start establishing a relationship. THEN she will blow your mind. Repeatedly, and reliably.

But do be patient. You read her, she reads you, and you see just a tiny part of what she is but she sees everything you are. Do show utmost respect. Do try to get her to believe that you're aiming to be a better human being, and mean it. She has a temper, and a mind of her own. Don't count on her help if you manage to get her to despise you...

• Like 2

Zen Cards to my mind are better than Tarot for easy reading. The Osho Zen set is especially good with Tao n Zen imagery.

Coin for I Ching pull in more sitters than stalks. Palm reading is simple and no kit required. Whichever method you use the underpinning is the same. Each sitter brings the reading with them and by tuning into them plus being very observant along with studying how to ask questions that sound like statements then with practice most cultibators can tell fortunes pretty well. It' what most Taoists go to templ for and a useful fortune telling priest will never be short of clients. Add on mediumship with entity communication and your temple or centre will be very popular. Ours is.

Most people do not appreciate how powerful divination really is. They go to a fortune teller expecting to hear what to do or to see a general image of their life, someone to hold their hand or make them feel better, without a clear idea of the questions to ask. But where the real power of divination lies is in seeing these spirits as your own counsel, a counsel that's thousands of years old, and in asking the spirits to tell you what the outcome will be when you are at a crossroads and have to choose between a few different roads. Sort of like the "what if" function in an excel spreadsheet. For example, when one is about to buy a new car, instead of letting your emotions or some technical paper guide you, use divination to choose which car to buy from a shortlist you make. Because even if you buy what car looks best on paper, you could still encounter lots of difficulties driving that car, because of envy, or who knows what. Or you could buy what's theoretically the worst car and it could be very auspicious for its owner. Divination will be able to tell you these things.

Big Indian community in Leicester but many of them come to us rather than their own temples for readings around business and big ticket purchases. I did 'bless' a new car for somebody once. Not sure that made it any the more reliable but the owner seemed happy enough.

Mrs GrandmasterP and some of the other sisters at ours make and sell wrist malas ["No-Worry Beads"] for centre funds. Amazing who you see buying and wearing those. One of the lady-vicars at Leicester Anglican Cathedral wears one.

If it works then it aint superstition.

• Like 1

Try this at home.

Make a small pendulum. Anything will do. A ring on a short length of cotton is fine.

Hold it two inches above your Yin palm. Really steady.

Verbally order it to...

Tell me yes. And focus on it to do so.

It will begin to circle.

Repeat but this time say.... Tell me No.

It will swing a short straight line.

Works every time.

Once you have trained your pendulum it will help you to make decisions.

Try this at home.

Make a small pendulum. Anything will do. A ring on a short length of cotton is fine.

Hold it two inches above your Yin palm. Really steady.

Verbally order it to...

Tell me yes. And focus on it to do so.

It will begin to circle.

Repeat but this time say.... Tell me No.

It will swing a short straight line.

Works every time.

Once you have trained your pendulum it will help you to make decisions.

I have been looking into and practising Dowsing for a while, it does give you answers very quickly. The implications for it may be endless from divination to healing. This is a good guide http://www.lettertorobin.org/Home.html , also Raymon Grace is a pretty interesting guy who heals using Dowsing for all sorts of things worth looking into if you are interested.

I try to listen carefully to the subtle stirrings within and without...

My acquaintance with the divine power of the I Ching (rather than her mere divinational power) started rather dramatically.

I was accompanying a family member on a hospital stay abroad, on a "medical tourism" trip ISO treatments not available in this country. Before we went, I asked the I Ching about the trip to that particular destination. She strongly opposed it. I ignored it (those were the times early in the day when I was new enough to this to ignore what the I Ching tells me... not anymore.) At the hospital, things weren't going all that well. I spoke with people at home every day and a friend of mine asked how I was holding up. Without listening to the answer, suddenly she got all excited about a book she had read, told me I would enjoy it and that she would send it right away. OK. She never sent me any books before or after, incidentally. So, the parcel arrived shortly, and I opened it absent-mindedly and threw the book on the bed. When it fell it opened and I saw the same hexagram from the I Ching that I got before the trip, the one strongly opposing it. I didn't realize the full extent of what happened at first, because my mind was a million miles away. I thought, how strange that my friend would discover the I Ching all of a sudden and send it to me, and how very strange that it would open to that very disturbing hexagram, what are the odds?..

Then I sort of woke up from a daze and grabbed the book. Of course it wasn't the I Ching -- my friend is into nothing like that and that's not the book she wanted me to read. It was "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" by Douglas Adams, a funny light-hearted piece my friend wanted to distract and entertain me with. BUT it so happened that a protagonist exemplifying a new agey flake, whose superstitions are the inspiration for incessant mockery by the author, does an I Ching reading in the course of the unfolding plot, and happens to get this particular unfortunate hexagram and it is quoted in the book verbatim, with the lines and the judgment. And that's the page it opened to when I threw it on the bed. And that's the book my friend wanted to send me all of a sudden. And that's the message that I ignored the first time, the message the I Ching wanted to sink in bad enough to get THIS to happen. Now... wait a minute... just stop, smell the roses, and think... WHAT ARE THE RANDOM-CHANCE ODDS FOR THIS?.. Huh? Huh?..

We cut our trip short, recovered from the unfortunate and wrong course previously taken, opted for something else, and from then on consulted the I Ching on every single step we were to take and this time there was no ignoring anything, and she navigated us on a trip out of hell every step of the way. Thank you, Goddess I Ching.

Beautiful story. Most people would have waited until the disaster happened rather than taking action so kudos to you for having had faith. :-) One thing though: the I ching is not a goddess, just like the tarot is not a goddess either, or the pendulum. These are just communication tools between the spirit world and us, like the telephone is for the material world. Which means behind it, there is a spirit that supports and loves you and is able to communicate to you thru the I ching because you have eyes to see and ears to hear and you LISTEN. To identify the name of this spirit, you just have to ask HIM or HER who she is, and you'll soon enough get a reply.

Excellent story Taomeow. There are no coincidences where spirits are involved and for sure the goddess of good fortunes was smiling in your direction via your friend's thoughtfulness in sending just the right book.

Beautiful story. Most people would have waited until the disaster happened rather than taking action so kudos to you for having had faith. :-) One thing though: the I ching is not a goddess, just like the tarot is not a goddess either, or the pendulum. These are just communication tools between the spirit world and us, like the telephone is for the material world. Which means behind it, there is a spirit that supports and loves you and is able to communicate to you thru the I ching because you have eyes to see and ears to hear and you LISTEN. To identify the name of this spirit, you just have to ask HIM or HER who she is, and you'll soon enough get a reply.

Thank you. Good idea for when in doubt. :) The I Ching speaks to me in a female voice (which is why I refer to "it" as "she") and I have reasons to believe she is an aspect of the goddess I am well acquainted with. She is not a spirit, and not a guide to the spirits, though she can employ these. But she can also talk to those who know who she really is directly.

The 64 hexagrams are the DNA code that is universal throughout galaxies and their inhabited worlds, per my sources. The DNA Spiral Goddess is an aspect of the Mother of the Universe. The reason the I Ching can put you in touch with anything at all -- and I mean anything at all -- is that she is a two-dimensional schematic for the multidimensional multiverse, an entity beyond space and time but containing them in their entirety, and a force behind life in the universe in all its manifestations. This is not the part that blows my mind though, I understand it pretty well due to some interesting encounters in my history. The part that blows my mind is that an entity of this unimaginable immensity can pinpoint her focus to fall on an individual life -- mine, e.g., or yours -- with the same ease she creates whole galaxies inhabited by similarly DNA-based beings. This, I may never be able to wrap my noodles around. :D

Excellent story Taomeow. There are no coincidences where spirits are involved and for sure the goddess of good fortunes was smiling in your direction via your friend's thoughtfulness in sending just the right book.

Thank you, GP! :)

Excellent thread. I am new and was surprised to find so little on Divination on TTB whe it is such a big part of Taoism. This is making up for it.

Most folk who come to our centre at first come either for their fortunes told, good luck practice advice or Spirit contact.

I Ching is possibly the most profound Divination method and much else besides. Anybody with an idea of what trigrams represnt and element relationships will progress much faster with cultivation.

I've recently found out about another method of divination, called Qi Men Dun Jia

http://www.phoenixanddragonfengshui.com/index.asp#qimen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_Men_Dun_Jia

And here's a very informative web page that goes indepth into the odds of different methods of divining the Iching

http://www.dentato.it/iching/

Edited by healingtouch