de_paradise

Nirvana and transmission (the band Nirvana)

Howdy... I'm assuming the negative comments that followed were directed at me, fair enough. I really could care less whether you believe me or not, but it all happened. He was a jerk, this topic is kind of silly, that's the gist of it. Kurt was a guy who lived a very tragic life. Not a lot of people who knew him liked him. He was hard to get along with and he brought a lot of the grief he suffered on himself. I feel bad for him, but that came when I went through recovery and looked back on it and saw it for what it was. His music did touch on a nerve, and I disagree with MrTiger, it was timeless. There aren't many bands that still have their music played 20 years after it came out.

The only reason I spent so much time typing it was because it brought back a lot of bad memories from that period, things I haven't though about for awhile. It took me years to stop blaming that town for my problems and to start facing them myself. Sadly, for many in Aberdeen, Nirvana is all they have. (I think one of the members from Metal Church came from there, but who remembers them?) On a side note, Mike Burgess, the guy who won the private concert with Metallica on MTV was a friend of mine as well. (Side note, Mike could've let as many people as he wanted into the concert, but didn't which left him with a few less friends in the end, including me.)

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

Aaron, thanks for sharing your story brother, it helps to understand where these guys came from. It must have been hard to grow up in a place like that mate. I don`t think the negative comments are headed towards you.

I`m from Argentina, and loved Nirvana when I was 16 - 17 years. Now I can`t hear any song, except for the Unplugged album. Kurt`s music is depressive (at least for me).

I don`t think he`s got any secret message. It`s only an angry person expressing his feelings. If he offers a solution, we know what is is for him: suicide.

Edited by templarmonk

Just so we're clear, my post wasn't sarcasm or negative at all. I truly thought it was cool.

I didn't think that you were. No worries.

Aaron

Aaron, thanks for sharing your story brother, it helps to understand where these guys came from. It must have been hard to grow up in a place like that mate. I don`t think the negative comments are headed towards you.

I`m from Argentina, and loved Nirvana when I was 16 - 17 years. Now I can`t hear any song, except for the Unplugged album. Kurt`s music is depressive (at least for me).

I don`t think he`s got any secret message. It`s only an angry person expressing his feelings. If he offers a solution, we know what is is for him: suicide.

I think Nirvana is more geared for the adolescent mind than the mature mind. Most of the people that listen to the albums are still young and have that "us against the world" mentality. I think for certain people it serves it's purpose, just like death metal and the blues, it helps us to get in touch with a darker place within and release those feelings, rather than allow them to fester. In that sense I can see how the music is healthy. I loved going to a show and just letting go, jumping, shouting, dancing, hooking up, etc. It was free and something that I don't regret experiencing.

I will quote Meat Loaf now, "A wasted youth is better by far, than a wise and productive old age."

Aaron

I think Nirvana is more geared for the adolescent mind than the mature mind. Most of the people that listen to the albums are still young and have that "us against the world" mentality. I think for certain people it serves it's purpose, just like death metal and the blues, it helps us to get in touch with a darker place within and release those feelings, rather than allow them to fester. In that sense I can see how the music is healthy. I loved going to a show and just letting go, jumping, shouting, dancing, hooking up, etc. It was free and something that I don't regret experiencing.

I will quote Meat Loaf now, "A wasted youth is better by far, than a wise and productive old age."

Aaron

I completely agree mate, nice Meat Loaf quote BTW, Ilove that album.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ9z-SEzDtk

I think this is hilarious, they just played some hard core song when the British talk show had decided upon a relatively moderate one. The whole thing is a joke, and I can hear Kurt laughing somehow in the song, not depressing or angry. That is all an illusion anyway, if you rehearse a song a million times its not really about anything except how to convince the audience that its genuine emotions.

ahh...if you want to talk about transmissions in music in terms of consciousness expansion/spiritual evolution/message.... Tool makes Nirvana look like a frightened little baby chipmunk. hee-hee-he. The Tao of Tool/APC

And props to those who mentioned the truth of the Pixies so I didn't compulsively have to (at this point in time)....oh the Pixies, truly just indescribably amazing, the Songs of the World.

Thanks for reviving this topic. I had some more thoughts recently, in that a whole era or group of people get boiled down into one archetype that represents the whole. We need archetypes, otherwise, our brains simply cannot cope with all the data. 

Interesting that someone pointed out that it appeals to adolescent mind not the mature mind. I would go further, and it really speaks to the primitive rage that people repress, the Jungian shadow.  Possibly maturity allows a person to integrate these primitive emotions, or perhaps not.  Very few are the people who roam the earth who have truly integrated their primal rage and shadow self. If you follow prof Jordan Peterson's talks on the subject, you may understand how its more  likely that 90 plus percent of us are much closer to homocidal or genocidal potential given the correct social and political circumstances,  drawing from the fact that 90 percent of Germans tacitly or directly aided in the holocaust, even though they were no longer adolescents, and had mature, civilized minds. 

Mosh pit dancing is trance inducing, as well as becoming unified with the crowd via the music, Some Sufi and  Hassidic dancing is similar, jumping around with the boys in a music trance.  its not a unique spiritual experience, except that in grunge the unspoken rules allow you to be somewhat more violent as you jostle around.  So we were able to release alot of emotions, positive and negative all at once. Extremely healthy.

My last point is about the "teen angst" which is really a recognition of the unsatisfactory nature of life, in Samsara. And the gen X'ers who, after their little rant, found meditation and yoga to be a more long term solution to the ongoing up and down nature of human existence. 

47 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

kids and teens know what sounds good even divorced from the context. 

how do you think they do that?