Owledge

Water chlorination - doesn't make much sense

It's done to kill germs, thus with a higher tendency in warm countries. Whether laziness regarding maintenance of the water pipe grid is involves, that's another question.

But: If I'm not missing something, the only thing this would help with is drinking water from the tap. If you use it for cooking or making tea, the germs will be killed. And not to drink from the tap should be common knowledge in those countries. After all, if there's a big water-buying culture like in the USA, not a problem. And if someone does drink from the tap, if they have a healthy immune system, they can deal with it.

(About countries where people say "Don't drink the tap water!", I assume the natives do it all the time and are relatively fine, because they adapted.)

So who or what are they chlorinating for?

It's done to kill germs, thus with a higher tendency in warm countries. Whether laziness regarding maintenance of the water pipe grid is involves, that's another question.

But: If I'm not missing something, the only thing this would help with is drinking water from the tap. If you use it for cooking or making tea, the germs will be killed. And not to drink from the tap should be common knowledge in those countries. After all, if there's a big water-buying culture like in the USA, not a problem. And if someone does drink from the tap, if they have a healthy immune system, they can deal with it.

(About countries where people say "Don't drink the tap water!", I assume the natives do it all the time and are relatively fine, because they adapted.)

I'll shoot for laziness for two points. Plus the water "purification" cycle that probably has some places drinking and flushing the same stuff several times over. Plus the mozzies and the weed growth.

Probably to prevent devastating outbreaks of diseases like cholera.

Some pathogens can survive brief boiling

and even if you can afford bottled water , others may not

and even if you arent drinking it directly you may wash dishes etc with it.

The use of fluoride has been shown of dubious use

and they should probably drop it, but

But pipes get old ,and get broken even when new.

Personally I dont think enough attention is being given

to the cleanliness-purity of our water either,,

Try keeping corals in the stuff (salt added)

and you will find out how many contaminants are in

drinking water.

But plagues are a bad thing (if anything can be said to be inherently bad).

Stosh

• Like 1

OK, valid points.

I'm wondering about the effect of the chlorine on the human body when ingested. Is that commonly available knowledge?

I only know that skin contact (swimming pool) can cause toxic chemicals in combination with certain substances that are always present in that kind of environment.

Also, I was very surprised when in an US pizza restaurant I got tea served that was made with tap water. The chlorine odour was clearly noticeable.

OK, valid points.

I'm wondering about the effect of the chlorine on the human body when ingested. Is that commonly available knowledge?

I only know that skin contact (swimming pool) can cause toxic chemicals in combination with certain substances that are always present in that kind of environment.

Also, I was very surprised when in an US pizza restaurant I got tea served that was made with tap water. The chlorine odour was clearly noticeable.

If the chorine was bubbled through as a gas it escapes fairly quickly

If it was added in the form of chloramines is lasts longer

I would expect that in either case the chlorine would be in an ionic disassociated state

same as when sodium chloride goes into solution , the two ions just

float on their own in the water-blood ,, so in the tiny quantities you would

be ingesting , it probably is not something to worry about.

Keep in mind that pure sodium metal bursts into flame when you put it in water!

Pure chorine gas burns your lungs when it meets up with the water in them !

But ionic, in water already ,,,its sodium chloride

and you cant live without at least some.

(but I am not a biochemist)

But I live in Florida now and I am sympathetic about stanky water.

Stosh

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

IME, it's a myth that people "adapt" to the water in their region. When I traveled in India and Nepal, I learned that plenty of "locals" get sick from their own drinking water. Diarrhea is one of the leading causes of infant/child mortality, and of adult illness, in impoverished regions around the world. The diarrhea is almost always caused by contaminated water used for drinking and to make baby formula. The contamination frequently is from E. coli, the bacteria found in the human gut and in the guts of other animals.

Illness-causing bacteria constantly mutate so the immune system may not be able to handle a new strain of, say, E. coli (gut-dwelling coliform bacteria)until it gets infected by it. Viruses such as the notorious norovirus, mutate so quickly that a vaccine can't be made for it. People get reinfected again and a gain with mutated strains of the virus. And, certain parasites, such as protozoan types, can be chronic inhabitants of the human gut, and "want" to be pooped out into the drinking water in order to complete their reproductive cycles by having their offspring infect new hosts.

So, chlorination and boiling have been used as the main ways of destroying these germs and parasites in developed and developing countries.

In developing countries, water supplies are often used for bathing, dishwashing and even toileting and disposing of dead animals or garbage (I once saw a woman washing the family dishes in a pond in Rajastan, while 10 yards away a man was taking a dump right into the water). Where I live, in the good ol' U.S. of A., the water supply is inhabited by other animals such as beavers, who carry parasites in their guts, that they poop into the water. It causes a very unpleasant infection with lots of diarrhea, bloating, and farting in humans. I am glad that the water commission in my district makes sure the water we drink goes through a stringent purification process.

Put it this way: Municipalities don't like to spend money on services for the populace, if they don't absolutely have to. Chlorination is a necessity in many places to prevent epidemics and seasonal illness outbreaks. We may not like the way chlorinated water tastes, but would rather taste chlorine and have a little bit of side residue in the water, than poop and barf my guts out because of unwanted microscopic guests.

Edited by Age Sage
  • Like 1