Sign in to follow this  
samwardell

I'm me

Hello all!

Hoping to learn a bit more about daoism. I have been studying the daodejing and zhuangzi for a while now; but there is only so much one can get from books. My interest is primarily philosophical daoism; the religious, alchemical and medical aspects less so.

My tone tends to be academic rather than personal or practical; which may not suit all. I hope my queries & thoughts do not irritate too much.

I should also point out, in the interests of full disclosure, that my life is pretty far from the way. I'm overweight, a chain-smoker, constantly stressed, and intellectually neurotic (that which I don't know bugs me). So please be gentle :)

peace etc...

Sam, belated welcome!

I just found and read your empty / full thread; from your post #20:

"It is not so much the full/empty paradox that I find hard. My own preference is to interpret it as Wang Bi does as the Dao being "full of emptiness" (comment ddj ch 45.1). Rather it is the link with 'function' that I find puzzling.

I found Taomeow's link to MA very elegant; but it makes me a little itchy to interpret a text in the light of a significantly later practice. That is not to say that there is not deep wisdom and insight to be found in taiji; merely that I remain a little sceptical about using it as a lens to understand the daodejing. It strikes me the text is looking to something deeper and broader.

I agree that 'the text is looking to something deeper and broader' - and invite you to join in the Unboundaried Both thread to explore that if you wish. LOL of course everyone is invited. I just remember how as a newcomer I'd always hesitate... now, I dont care how silly I sound. (-:

warm regards

p.s..Cheya, nice to see you again!

Sign in to follow this