Are you a vicious dog?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How aware are you of your unified consciousness with vicious dogs?

• Pardon?
    • I like Poodles.
    • I sometimes notice I am snarling.
    • I should be wearing a muzzle.

But anyway, beyond any one picture, I think one needs to look at the trend of the stylization and syncrete all the data , looking at only one glyph you can conclude it was a nonexistent creature, but the rest of the heads all have some counterpart in the fauna of the day, but they all have a degree of stylization and overemphasis so that the glyph could be read. I dont think jackals are ordinarily black, but Anubis is consistently considered a Jackal, at least their backs are black and their faces are pointy.(on black backed jackals)

My theory is good because of the link?

NO

My theory is good because it is the only theory that makes any sense

other than to say one has no idea what the heck Set was supposed to be. :)

Yes it's a good theory. Its the other features which are the stumbling block for most theories (there are a lot). I agree it must be an actual animal, cos although the Egyptians did have composite animals it was quite obvious when they did this. the square ears and forked tail are fairly consistent details ... including the 'was' sceptre.

I would like Set to be a wild dog maybe because of association with the desert, storms and so on. I was hoping you knew of dog which looked more like him than a saluki.

BTW some people dispute Anubis as jackal ... black is a colour symbolic of regenerative energy ... e.g. black mud from Nile which brings fertility and also Osiris sometimes shown with black face.

Yes it's a good theory. Its the other features which are the stumbling block for most theories (there are a lot). I agree it must be an actual animal, cos although the Egyptians did have composite animals it was quite obvious when they did this. the square ears and forked tail are fairly consistent details ... including the 'was' sceptre.

I would like Set to be a wild dog maybe because of association with the desert, storms and so on. I was hoping you knew of dog which looked more like him than a saluki.

BTW some people dispute Anubis as jackal ... black is a colour symbolic of regenerative energy ... e.g. black mud from Nile which brings fertility and also Osiris sometimes shown with black face.

Sorry I am not that much a pro on african doglike creatures but the most of the others I can think of have a rather square heavy muzzle,wild hunting dogs have micky mouse ears... and although odd looking would be emotionally satisfying and dramatic as god symbols ,I agree.. but

the droopy nose clinches it for a domestic breed to me. They seemed to keep distinctive traits such as that and even accentuate them versus being rather sloppy about non distinctive ones.I think it makes a poetic sense that falcons and dogs being hunting partners of men , exceeding the abilities of men, beloved of men, could be revered for qualities one might also see in a god. Like their enthusiasm courage speed loyalty etc. I dont see any connection for an okapi, they probably ate the things.

I am not clear on what scenarios are out there that compete with the saluki idea. Tell me what reasonable candidates are out there ,I will see if I can crush all contention. :)

Interesting that Anubis would be portrayed in a regenerative light.

Edited by Stosh

I am not clear on what scenarios are out there that compete with the saluki idea. Tell me what reasonable candidates are out there ,I will see if I can crush all contention. :)

Interesting that Anubis would be portrayed in a regenerative light.

aardvark_432_600x450.jpg

aardvark

IamanAnteater.jpg

but no square ears etc. so maybe extinct variety of aardvark ... given its an African animal????

Aardvark, nose is squared off and piglike , I dont think it can take most of the postures the glyphs have such as sitting upright ,or lying doglike with head upright ,, and the ears arent hairy-feathery, besides would You even consider an aardvark as a chief deity?

Jackal , sure why not , spot is taken though by Anubis, and why the squared off ears, If a dog had his ears shredded in bushes or fighting , you might trim off the tatters, it still has a very obvious Domestic connotation.

The gorgeous pharoh dog..

is still domestic dog so sure could be ,but it looks to be short hair and on lots of the ears on the set stuff has feathery hatchmarks , also the split tail could be a simplified representation of the same feathery hair on the tail some depictions early on show more lines than just the pair. (looks a bit like a dog I had as a kid!)

Borzoi also domestic, same heritage is likely (I thought they were developed in the caucasus, beautiful dogs)

Anteater, not really a serious consideration, right?

Albert Einstein with a cat, possible but one would expect the long hair to be diagnostic for Einstein which appears to absent in all depictions of Set

Mozart ? , well,, Set doesnt appear to like music , at least it isnt mentioned anywhere except he had some associations with thunder .( though He may have been tempted to play a SET now and then)

:) Problem is solved

Edited by Stosh

egypt_dog.jpg

"an Egyptian was always accompanied by his dog, both in the house and in his walks."

3556182854_0c5a8b9f2a.jpgpharaoh-hound-4.jpg

Egyptian hunting dog/ pharoah dog/ tesem.

tesem.jpg

ballada_head_1.jpg

BORZOI!

Whatever kinda dog it was, it had quite a curly tail.

Edited by A Seeker

The split tail could also be indicative of wagging.

How are yous getting pix in the replies?

Edited by Stosh

post-3061-133831012833_thumb.jpg

Actually I'm thinking the forked tail might be a late addition because this early 2nd Dynasty set (on the right) has more of a straight wide tail than a forked one. And the nose is straight not so curved.

How about an Armadillo?

armadillo-control.jpg

I was thinking also perhaps it is the combination of Thoth (Ibis) + Anubis (Jackal)?

what would this indicate?

wow flash back to a dream / after seeing this image

1427459633_b1493fa990.jpg?w=510

The dream was quite vivid

I have met similar beings ^ haha

A man similar to above was watering his lawn haha

His kids were running around playing on the grass

only folks around

I walked up and said // Hello my name is __________ I am from Earth

I am sure he said something to me but I forget now! :(

kind of like the in-depth conversation I had with this Green Cyclops Cat (emphasis due to feeling this Green Cyclops Cat deserves as much respect as I can give it at present knowing) in a park at night under a street light and tree - the cat was sitting on a brick retaining wall... going onto a nice oval field - I don't remember the conversation unfortunately... I think it was important though hahah damn

The Cats eye was totally awesome it was like looking into a galaxy / star systems etc... I think at the end of the conversation this vision of the star systems expanded into my vision and I was like floating in space (consciousness - no body) observing... haha anyhow ^_^

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

Actually I'm thinking the forked tail might be a late addition because this early 2nd Dynasty set (on the right) has more of a straight wide tail than a forked one. And the nose is straight not so curved.

Looks like that to me too , still doggy but not very informative

The depictions are just too crude, you need good realistic three dimensional depictions,

if you want to conclude it isnt a dog , with the certainty that you could say it is, IMHO

It could be that there was more than one dog type in that large general area, I saw one pic that had what appeared to be a curly tail, or over time , the breed was developed into a new look. The most specific data is probably written out on clay tablets depicting everyday life communications

which gather dust in basements. dont they have a heap of them?

It would be fun to decipher them even though most are probably mundane. ( they could be photo-d and stuck on the interweb and deciphered by amateurs for virtually nothing since pros wont ever get to all of it.)

Thats my cat,Sophie , I was trying to get a pic to insert.

Edited by Stosh

he praises the presence of our furry friends.

Mankinds greatest creations!

Stosh