Sign in to follow this  
Lucky7Strikes

Bound to Conditions

I was abruptly awakened today how powerless and vulnerable we are to the conditions of the world we inhibit. The physical and social laws we are bound by don't seem so bad in times of comfort or when everything seems to line themselves in the right direction. But the realization hit me deeply that these conditions we cherish are very much at the mercy of the world's whim when we attach our identities to the body.

Basically, I got that taste again of why I had set out on the path in the first place. I feel I've been too content and too engrossed in the bliss from practice and the basic happiness I had thought I had attained from it.

I want to transcend my own limitations as a living being, to create, not be the one being created, to be the creator of my world. To break through the physical barrier that bounds me everyday to the necessities of the body.

Just sharing a resolution. :) .

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

This reminded me of something by Zen Master Ta Hui:

"Don't Cling to Stillness

Once you have achieved peaceful stillness of body and mind, you must make earnest effort. Do not immediately settle down in peaceful stillness - in the Teachings this is called "The Deep Pit of Liberation," much to be feared. You must make yourself turn freely , like a gourd floating on the water, independent and free, not subject to restraints, entering purity and impurity without being obstructed or sinking down. Only then do you have a little familiarity with the school of the patchrobed monks. If you just manage to cradle the uncrying child in your arms, what's the use?"

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness
  • Like 1

Indeed, we all aree bound by the conditions of our external world as well as by our inner essence as established by others.

I doubt that many will ever attain true freedom. But I still look forward to each day with optimism that I can be controlled less by externals as well as my personal hang-ups.

Happy Trails Y'all!

Indeed, we all aree bound by the conditions of our external world as well as by our inner essence as established by others.

I doubt that many will ever attain true freedom. But I still look forward to each day with optimism that I can be controlled less by externals as well as my personal hang-ups.

Happy Trails Y'all!

True freedom is excepting your so called limitations and living within these conditions.

The problem lies in trying trying trying to be what we are not.

Accept the miracle of being here - now.

Believing in walking on water, virgin births, magic, non acceptance are the real limitations and the cause of suffering. :)

• Like 1

True freedom is excepting your so called limitations and living within these conditions.

The problem lies in trying trying trying to be what we are not.

Accept the miracle of being here - now.

Believing in walking on water, virgin births, magic, non acceptance are the real limitations and the cause of suffering. :)

Your last sentence I agree with although I do magic now and then. (Just kidding.)

Ah, acceptance of limitations. I think I won't agree with this. We can negate or go around many of the limitations others set upon us.

But I do agree that we should be only what we are. However, we never know for sure what we really are until after we have tested our limitations.

Your last sentence I agree with although I do magic now and then. (Just kidding.)

Ah, acceptance of limitations. I think I won't agree with this. We can negate or go around many of the limitations others set upon us.

But I do agree that we should be only what we are. However, we never know for sure what we really are until after we have tested our limitations.

I am not talking about limitations others set upon us.

I am talking of limitations of the laws of nature of god of the tao or whatever one calls it.

I am not talking about limitations others set upon us.

I am talking of limitations of the laws of nature of god of the tao or whatever one calls it.

Hehehe. We can't do anything about them. I cannot fly; that is a given.

This reminded me of something by Zen Master Ta Hui:

"Don't Cling to Stillness

Once you have achieved peaceful stillness of body and mind, you must make earnest effort. Do not immediately settle down in peaceful stillness - in the Teachings this is called "The Deep Pit of Liberation," much to be feared. You must make yourself turn freely , like a gourd floating on the water, independent and free, not subject to restraints, entering purity and impurity without being obstructed or sinking down. Only then do you have a little familiarity with the school of the patchrobed monks. If you just manage to cradle the uncrying child in your arms, what's the use?"

That's the argument for getting off the cushion and into the world. But you have to IMO have enough memory of the stillness reached in one place to be able to bring it to another.

Hehehe. We can't do anything about them. I cannot fly; that is a given.

You've never gone anywhere by airplane ? :)

Sign in to follow this