Wells

Taoist Alchemy & Immortality - Absorption of energy from the Tao required or not?

My impression is that purist Nei Kung schools normally working with the original/internal/prenatal Jing/Chi. Little stress is on absorbing Chi from outside. However there are also more recent schools telling people to absorb Chi from outside. Very often the 5 elements are taken into a/c. e.g. if a person is deemed to be short of water element, then the practitioner is expected to be trained near water locations. This would go hand in hand with the element based diets or herbal medicines and linked to Chinese fortune telling too. If you are short of fire, visualize fire more during your meditation etc. I think it is no harm to try out different ways yourself during your practices. When you reach a very high level, then the purist way would probably be the only way.

• Like 3

"Absorption of energy from the Tao required or not?"

I would say yes, but the question maybe is in regards to active and passive absorption. Seems to me when I read the dialogue between Immortals Chung and Lu, that Chung is essentially describing what happens during meditation during various times of day and night, rather than what to do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems in large part a way of opening oneself up to the energy and influence of the Universe.

Difficult question still, though, since most Taoist masters were also master healers and this seems like an important part of the path, which does require a more active absorption of energy.

Another part being that the health regimens are often seen as a way to buy more time in order to practice and cultivate with the resources that are available to us at this time.

On 4/13/2012 at 4:02 PM, Wells said:

Well, according what I have read there ara many possible meanings and translations for "jing". Sperm, essence, vitality, even DNA. As far as I know in TCM jing is associated with your primordial chi that you acquired from your parents and that is stored "between the kidneys and between the navel and ming meng". As far as I know in TCM there is no tan tien...but that location mirrors pretty much the tan tien from taoist alchemic systems and the description of TCM's jing pretty much mirrors the description of yuan chi! Other sources say that "yuan chi is jing in motion" and yuan chi flows at least in the "8 extraordinary vessels". One of them Chong Mai comes from tan tien and goes from there through the spine. Also, we know the association from Jing with marrow including bone marrow. "Jin" is created (amongst others) by condensing chi into the bone marrow.

Now, lets consider my experience I posted in the Emo-Lipo thread:

I trained 5,5 hours with Gary's Nei Kung and then straight went to bed before that experience. I sucked all the vibration I created into tan tien, there was no vibration left in my body. The vibration I created was NOWHERE as strong or fast as the vibration that suddenly flew around in my body that night.

My opinion is that it was actually my Yuan Chi that came out on it's own and doing something in my system, maybe clearing my channels or god knows what. It had to be a conscious energy because it did it on it's own! It mirrored the vibration I created but was 100 times stronger! Also the routes it flowed mirrored the routes I used in training. I guess I stimulated my Yuan Chi by feeding it with the vibration I created.

The experience didn't repeat itself until now but I hope it will happen again soon.

What are your opinions? :)

Hello Wells, I am new to Daoism, However I have experience with this type of vibration throughout the body, when I vibrate the frontal lobes in my head I get a clear movement know, but when their was a blockage it acted like a resistant causing a powerful vibration and then when it broke up it flowed through vibrating the whole the body until it dispersed. When this happens anywhere in the body I know that this means a leveling up over time, there was a balancing of energies. Also I was taught to draw energy in through my feet using emotional content as the lifting/attracting force and a mental construct/tuple(a) as the direction to receive the storage. All this not to fight but to build energy body to travel in. 

With all of this training skill building and effort have you had a initiation, of any kind?

Edited by mrpasserby
add content
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mrpasserby said:

Hello Wells, I am new to Daoism, However I have experience with this type of vibration throughout the body, when I vibrate the frontal lobes in my head I get a clear movement know, but when their was a blockage it acted like a resistant causing a powerful vibration and then when it broke up it flowed through vibrating the whole the body until it dispersed. When this happens anywhere in the body I know that this means a leveling up over time, there was a balancing of energies. Also I was taught to draw energy in through my feet using emotional content as the lifting/attracting force and a mental construct/tuple(a) as the direction to receive the storage. All this not to fight but to build energy body to travel in.

I am not sure about what happened during the experience you describe, possibly energy was released from your upper tantien and then circulated through your body.

1 hour ago, mrpasserby said:

With all of this training skill building and effort have you had a initiation, of any kind?

What do you mean with "initiation"? Some kind of energy transmission from a master in a personal meeting?

If so, then no.

• Like 1

Concerning the topic of this thread:

I came to the conclusion that there is no such thing as absorbing energy from Tao.

It's a widespread misinterpretation of several schools of what happens in theory during exercises which work in practice.

Schools which developed practices which work not necessarily came up with the correct interpretation and understanding of why these practices work and what actually happens during these practices.

The proof for this is that many schools have similar practices but completely different theoretical interpretations.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wells said:

I am not sure about what happened during the experience you describe, possibly energy was released from your upper tantien and then circulated through your body.

What do you mean with "initiation"? Some kind of energy transmission from a master in a personal meeting?

If so, then no.

Wells, I was just inquiring if your goal was to travel in your energy body, or something else. Once traveling initiations are done without a physical meeting. Thanks for the information for the name of the part that my clog was released from. I will add it to my new Daoist vocabulary. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Wells said:

Schools which developed practices which work not necessarily came up with the correct interpretation and understanding of why these practices work and what actually happens during these practices.

This is called "make it up as you go",  and if I could write that in chinese at least some reading this would be impressed by my Knowledge B).

• Like 1