headiness

Can Meditation be bad for you ?

http://www.possessingme.com

http://your-depressionresource.com/

_________

Meditations clinically proven to reduce the chance of relapse.

In a study by John Teasdale et al in the UK he evaluated patients who had experienced 5 or more episodes of depression in their life. One half just received normal counselling whilst the other half went through a Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT). MBCT incorporates Buddhist style mindfulness meditation along with exercises to help them understand how thinking patterns influence their feelings. MBCT patients were found to have a relapse rate of 36% compared to the control group of 78%.

source: http://overcomingdepressionblog.com/category/relaxationmeditation/

_________

just because it irks me when people tell me "its on the internet but you'll have to look it up yourself haha"

• Like 1

You might think of meditation like driving, though meditation is actually hundreds of times less dangerous. Either way, it's up to the driver to steer themselves correctly. If they don't want to accept the road conditions then they are at a much greater risk.

The road is like their mind, if the mind is not in the greatest condition then they should take it slow and not rush it as too much force could end up throwing them off the road when a sharp turn shows up.

If everything is done with a balanced state of mind and maintaining attention to the road, you'll probably get to your destination safely, provided you have some grasp of the basics.

• Like 1

I think there is a difference between sitting meditation and things like mindfullness and DBT for mental health, generally speaking sitting meditation is not recommended if you have mental health issues because it can be ungrounding and can stir things up too quickly, whereas mindfullness and DBT etc does not have the same risks. Meditation isn't always the magic pill many people think it is, a lot depends on the method and approach, for example I have seen evidence that some Buddhists meditations can make conditions like PTSD worse.

The woman who wrote the www.posessingme.com blog did cure many of her psychological problems using sitting meditation but she admits that doing it that way can make your problems worse in the short term, as you process things they can get really intense and you can become a lot more unstable before you let the problems go, which can be very difficult to deal with without wider care. She also used a Taoist method which has more focus on the body.

Who is so brave and so noble that they could hurl themselves at infinity without any question, with complete trust and complete certainty that that infinity will destroy them forever?

If meditation is not for you, then so be it.

If meditation is not for you, then so be it.

I think this is well said!