Sign in to follow this  
Tao of the Afro-

Suggestions for an inexperienced bum like myself

As the title suggests, I am a rather inexperienced bum, and I'm hoping that some of you more seasoned bums could give me a hand here. I'm interested in tackling the beast that is the Taoist cultivation regime, but the topic is so broad that I don't even know where to start.

The only knowledge/experience I have with regards to Taoist cultivation comes from a book called The Complete System of Self-Healing by Dr. Chang, and I practice the Crane Breathing and Heavenly Immortal Cycle exercises outlined in the book as often as possible.

[types another paragraph, deletes, and repeats multiple times]

Okay. *clicks the post button*

The only horse stance I know of is from Tae Kwan Do. I'm not sure how it would help me cultivate anything other than some ripped hamstrings.

Is there another horse stance used for cultivation? Are the two stances one in the same? Do I sound like a rabid lunatic with all of these questions?

Edited by Tao of the Afro-

Horse stance improves your body from down up

You get stronger kidneys, develop yang energy, and just get super healthy

There are few other things to do with it but that would take forever to explain

As the title suggests, I am a rather inexperienced bum, and I'm hoping that some of you more seasoned bums could give me a hand here. I'm interested in tackling the beast that is the Taoist cultivation regime, but the topic is so broad that I don't even know where to start.

The only knowledge/experience I have with regards to Taoist cultivation comes from a book called The Complete System of Self-Healing by Dr. Chang, and I practice the Crane Breathing and Heavenly Immortal Cycle exercises outlined in the book as often as possible.

[types another paragraph, deletes, and repeats multiple times]

Okay. *clicks the post button*

honestly man, that book is pretty comprehensive, well written, I've gotten a lot out of it. if you've been practicing that stuff, excellent. what do you feel you're missing?

I'm not quite sure. It seems as though I'm missing...progression? I think that's the best way to put it. I'm used to martial arts where there's always a new form to learn or a new stance to take on. :lol:

EDIT:

Also, Dr. Chang's exercises seem to be "all yang." Is there any way to cultivate yin along with yang?

Edited by Tao of the Afro-

Are you at all interested in any of the Taoist Martial Arts? That could be a route for you to take.

Dr. Chang's book is an excellent place to start since it delves into the unique bodily aspects of Taoism. From there you can work on energy and spiritual cultivation. I would suggest learning a qi gong style at least from a video if you don't have access to a teacher. I suggest learning qi gong before learning Tai Chi as well as you will have a much deeper understanding of why you are doing Tai Chi afterwards.

Reading the Tao Te Ching will help you understand some of the main foundations to why you are learning these things as well.

Sign in to follow this