Mark Saltveit

Palindromes

Dammit, I'm mad.

this thread was too good to let die off unnoticed!

To be or not, net ten ton roe bot?

One of my favorite writers occasionally performed somersaults with the language that required encyclopedic erudition to fully get. He didn't care how much of what he'd throw out there the reader might get -- if you could see it, you were delighted, ticked off, or cracking up -- if you couldn't, the author was, at your expense. A palindrome or an anagram, in particular, were never announced when they appeared in the text. And those were just the most minor of his tricks. Sometimes he arranged the whole plot as a palindrome, not just a sentence.

One of the anagrams of his name was Vivian Darkbloom. Can you crack it?

• Like 1

Vivian Darkbloom

aabdiiklmnoorvv

Marvin Vodka Boil

no, im at a loss here...

LOL, this is legit! I tried a beer boil with crayfish, but not a vodka boil. Gotta ask Marvin how to make that. Unless Marvin Vodka is served boiled by itself, neat. Or Marvin is the name of whatever they boiled in vodka.

Of course an anagram is easier to assemble than to disassemble. To disassemble, one would have to go through all possible combinations -- which can be numerous.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

Vladimir Nabokov.

(I got it on the first post but got confused somehow, took it out, then added it back in.)

Bingo! :)

• Like 2

i knew it had to be russian, but i dont know russian (names or otherwise) well enough to have guessed the proper spelling of any such name :P

For the sake of argument:

Marvin Vodka Boil

aabdiiklmnoorvv

Abnormal Vivid KO

• Like 1

:)

Forgot to mention this is also a prime number...

• Like 2